Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Rise Of Skywalker *Spoilers*

so, we have our "spoiler" title now...

I'm a little annoyed at my wife. She apparently was watching spoiler/fan-theory youtubes before the movie and told me that one of them thought Rey was Palpatine's granddaughter several weeks before the movie. At the time I was all "naaaah", but it still took something away from the reveal for me in the theater. I was avoiding every single TROS press I could, and I was sabotaged in my own kitchen before I could stop her.

I'm really fine with the "fact". In fact, I even think it's a little interesting, even if the rabid fans seem to think it was lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    In fact, I even think it's a little interesting, even if the rabid fans seem to think it was lazy.
    It's lazy as hell, but it's at least new. It was a twist for me, despite poking around at some spoilers a little. If she was a Skywalker somehow I'd have been disappointed, that's lazier than being a Palpatine. Being no one from any family of interest isn't enough either, there needed to be a way to explain her force strength.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It's lazy as hell, but it's at least new. It was a twist for me, despite poking around at some spoilers a little. If she was a Skywalker somehow I'd have been disappointed, that's lazier than being a Palpatine. Being no one from any family of interest isn't enough either, there needed to be a way to explain her force strength.
    Pretty much agree.

back on the sjw thing, apparently the left is super pissed that she's just an abandoned rich white girl. JJ took away Rey's "agency" (which, as I understand it, is another sjw term like "woke" that doesn't actually mean anything anywhere else) by making all of her powers just an inheritance, and all of her choices and pretty much entire life to date entirely scripted by her rich pervy white due granddad.

IMO, the idea that she's descended from arguably the strongest force user ever, and that perhaps he was even "helping" her in her initial sword fight against Kylo where by all right she should have been run through at the outset, makes it possible for me to almost accept the outcome of that fight.

But still not Finn. Although maybe he's Windu's grandson and Mace is lurking in some force-ghost brothel manipulating his grandkid too...

I'm mixed on Finn. They gave him some amount of force awareness, I'm just not sure how much I care. I'm there because I've gotta question how the Empire/First Order wouldn't do some form of evaluation for that though. Seems to reason that someone somewhere would've figured something out about it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

How the whole of Star Wars should have been:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    How the whole of Star Wars should have been:

I just came here to post that. Brilliant, as far as I am concerned.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The original trilogy was an unprecedented success, both in story and scope. Like a band at the peak of it's creative powers.

The second is akin to what often happens when band gets back together a decade or so after breaking up- it's kind of embarrassing, and apparent the magic is gone, but nostalgia makes it successful.

The third is akin to what happens when the suits who own the rights to the original band try to restart things with the guy who played percussion on the second album. It's flashy and loud, but it's really not the originals.
    What is this "second trilogy" of which you speak?

Also, every time someone refers to "TROS" I think they're talking about Talbot Mundy books, and get all excited, and then disappointed...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Now that it's all over, we can make educated guesses about winners and losers from this train wreck:

Winners:
    -Adam Driver. Even those who hate TLJ like his performance, and it looks like he's hitting the A List after all this.

-In the F Up and Move Up category, Rian Johnson. While middle America & the fans hate him, they love him in Berkley (to paraphrase Bruce Dern).

Losers:
    -Daisy Ridley. While she may get some work after this is all done, her career is pretty much done and over with. Mainly because she's Hollywood 'over the hill', and they have Scarlett Johansson for all the Over 30 roles. Best if she settles down and buys a ranch in Ontario.

-Kelly Tran. I honestly feel sorry for her, as she was the JarJar Binks of TLJ, and her career is also done before it really got started. The hate directed her way by the fanbois is not deserved (blame the director, people!). It's sad that what should have been a dream come true/big break has turned into a nightmare, and it's not her fault. At least Daisy is getting paid the big bucks.

-Disney. Sure, they made money, but not Star Wars money.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List