Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Rise Of Skywalker *Spoilers*

Hammertime
    Saw it with extremely low expectations. Ended up liking it.

spoilers below Not sure if tag will help.

Spoiler (highlight to read):

I heard same actor for Palpatine from Empire Strikes back through this one. If so pretty cool and I like the guy. "Do it."

I think the actors for Kylo and Rey did an upstanding job with fairly physical roles and with what they had to work with. Most of the older actors just gave up and got fat (except Han). The with Han and Kylo was actually pretty incredible.

Really glad they sort of disappeared the asian gal.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 01-02-2020 at 05:56 PM.

One criticism, which I believe is valid, is that JJ tried to cram in his version of ep 8 along with ep 9- arguably needed.

And while definitely not the steaming pile of fecal matter that Rian served instead of steak, it is fairly rushed and choppy and jumpy
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Maybe any Star Wars made after Ep. V is simply destined to disappoint, but I did enjoy RO.

Besides any other unfortunate choices in Ep. VII - IX, the real sin is that JJA and RJ could apparently not come to an understanding of telling a single, continuous story, and chose to have directorial peeing matches with other.

Oh well, at least it’s visually pretty.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; in fact I'd say i'm neutral leaning positive on it. I will say the best thing I did was google "best time to go to the bathroom during TRoS". the time suggestions were appropriate.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I still haven’t seen TROS but I don’t have high hopes after TLJ. I would like to see Disney consider this the end of the Skywalker saga and continue the series with completely unrelated storylines. The Knights of the Old Republic video games were fantastic. They had great stories. I’d like something like that on film. The Star Wars universe is so broad that a couple of decent writers should be able to come up with a script that doesn’t involve Skywalkers.

I did recently read an article on a very left leaning site about how TLJ didn’t go SJW enough and that made me shake my head in confusion. When is something progressive enough?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

TROS, much like Endgame, had so much on the line that there's really no reason to expect it to work. But Endgame did a good job, and I thought TROS did a pretty decent job, too. Lots of action. Some humor. Crazy space antics. It's friggin' star wars, not shakespeare.

I'll come out and say, I don't care that Rose Tico was cut out, because she was a non-important character and she was busy doing what she should be doing - hanging out at base doing REMF crap.

Meanwhile I've loved the Mandolorian and it's much more simplistic, space western vibe.

Now I'm ready for the Babu Frik/Baby Yoda buddy comedy.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I did recently read an article on a very left leaning site about how TLJ didn’t go SJW enough and that made me shake my head in confusion. When is something progressive enough?
    Typical of the left - it's never enough for them.

Just look at Australia and weapon laws (segway for a moment). Not only have they taken away our right to defend ourselves with firearms (although we can have some firearms with very strong restrictions - but never ever for defense) - we're also not allowed to defend ourselves with pepper spray or tasers. Strewth - even a sling shot is a prohibited weapon here and guess what... it's still not enough - the left cry out demanding more restrictions.

And those that try and pander to the left seem to also never learn that no matter what they do - they can never satisfy the left either. If Disney keeps going in this direction first they'll slowly lose level headed viewers and once they remain with just the left - they'll end up having them offside as well forever trying to appease them.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I saw it opening night true to geek form.

I had fairly reasonable expectations, basically that it be a better than The Last Turd and not tarnish the franchise. It managed to do both and I had a smile the whole time and even teared up a time or two. It was Abram's best effort to date. All in all it was an acceptable end to the saga all things considered.

I'm not all that happy with the direction Abrams took with the sequels but that said, I wasn't too into a lot of the EU material that took place after Endor. I hope Disney now focuses on new offshoots like the Mandalorian, Cassian Andor, and Kenobi and let the Skywalker saga rest.

The Force Awakens built a cool looking car, but didn’t start it.

The Last Jedi started the car, but replaced the wheels with cinderblocks.

The Rise of Skywalker got rid of the cinderblocks, but replaced them with lampshades.
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 01-03-2020 at 10:13 PM.

The original trilogy was an unprecedented success, both in story and scope. Like a band at the peak of it's creative powers.

The second is akin to what often happens when band gets back together a decade or so after breaking up- it's kind of embarrassing, and apparent the magic is gone, but nostalgia makes it successful.

The third is akin to what happens when the suits who own the rights to the original band try to restart things with the guy who played percussion on the second album. It's flashy and loud, but it's really not the originals.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List