Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shot my best offhand group ever at the range today, and it was with a...

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    If you enjoy the challenges presented and the competition, then I'd say get a full blown Production rig and have at it. If not and it's just a good way for you to practice courses of fire not designed by you and under some amount of pressure, you might be better off sticking with what you have.
    Thanks for your insightful reply Donovan.

I certainly enjoyed the one match I've gone to so far. Time demands prevent me from 'getting serious' about going far in competition for the time being - I am going to be lucky to make it to one local match per month, and that's being optimistic. The bolded part of your last sentence probably applies to me the most.

Maybe once I get my shooting and match performance clean and correct and I'm not making match or marksmanship errors I'll consider equipment and division again.

My wife and I shot about 250 rounds each of steel today. At the end of the session, I mentioned that a fantastic shooter posted a very small group on PF.

My wife had three rounds left, and we were at 15 yards. I told her to use the one inch square as an aiming point. Gen 3 G17, HD sights, - connector, Aguila 124 ball, three rounds:

Nice! She's got me beat!

NICE!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Great shooting, especially since that HD front sight was much larger than the 1" square.

JV, I told her nice one hole group, but that she missed the square.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Next time, don't give her an "aiming point", give her a target to hit!

Too bad her front sight is .010" too tall.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you'll notice, my group is way high above a bullseye... which is kind of what I was aiming for. I wasn't using the crappy stock sights correctly

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    I also met forum member vecdran who also happened to have just bought a G34 Gen 4, and was kind enough to let me put a mag through it before my purchase. Thanks again Jeremy

Tonight, many SIGs will weep
    In my camp, my HK family will be getting smaller. I'll be keeping my first P30, for nostalgia sake. I'll be carring a G17 eventually.

The reality is, at the round count I shoot (~20,000 a year) it makes far more sense for me to own a gun that is easily repairable by me in the field. Also, I was tired of how lame the HK accessories market is. Now, owning a Glock, there's more junk (and a fair bit of good stuff) than I know what to do with.

Let's put it this way. To get my trigger where I wanted it on my P30L took nearly nine months, if you include the eight months I waited for springs. Now, if I want to go any further, I have to blow $350+ on a Bruce Gray job, which, while fantastic, usually takes a while.

With my Glock, I waved two $20s, and 15 minutes later I had a new trigger. Don't like it? Hey, there's a dozen other trigger kits out there for the same price!
    JP Visual Design

Quote Originally Posted by vecdran View Post
    In my camp, my HK family will be getting smaller. I'll be keeping my first P30, for nostalgia sake. I'll be carring a G17 eventually.

The reality is, at the round count I shoot (~20,000 a year) it makes far more sense for me to own a gun that is easily repairable by me in the field. Also, I was tired of how lame the HK accessories market is. Now, owning a Glock, there's more junk (and a fair bit of good stuff) than I know what to do with.

Let's put it this way. To get my trigger where I wanted it on my P30L took nearly nine months, if you include the eight months I waited for springs. Now, if I want to go any further, I have to blow $350+ on a Bruce Gray job, which, while fantastic, usually takes a while.

With my Glock, I waved two $20s, and 15 minutes later I had a new trigger. Don't like it? Hey, there's a dozen other trigger kits out there for the same price!
    It was the slide release on my SIGs that finally did it for me. I had a choice of a) not have a high grip, b) have a slide that never locks back, c) have a slide that locks back prematurely or d) run an illegally modified (for Production division) gun

I could deal with the 10lb trigger and the high bore axis which everyone says would make me shoot slower - which it never did - but not having workable controls killed it for me.

The slide release on the Glock could stand to be another 1/8" forward - FOR ME, which is just fine considering it's a mass produced item - but other than that I think it's in about as good a position as it can be. I also love the grip angle! WTF!

User Tag List