Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you clean your gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    What is this "clean" you talk of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    People clean those?

I wipe them down with oil, but rarely actually clean them. I could be wrong to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I have been of this opinion for years, hence my question!

Some good tips here, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    What is this "clean" you talk of?
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    How often? As needed ....

I wet the inside of my barrels with solvent and follow-up with a pass or two (manually) with a Hoppes SS Tornado brush. After that, a couple of passes with a bronze bristle brush covered with a solvent soaked patch and they're usually spotless. It's worth mentioning that smooth/polished barrels foul less and are easier to clean.

https://wagnershells.com/product/hop...rush-12-gauge/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    How often? At the end of every duck season - whether they need it or not...
    My goal is never, but if I feel I have to (or it's the end of a season) it's done the 41magfan.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

So I've been hanging out a lot on a turkey hunting forum with turkey season coming up and those guys are pretty fanatical about there shotguns so I seem to fit in well there. Anyways I recently did this to all 4 of my 870's (Well 3 shotguns and a tac14). One of my guns my cleaning regiment was typically a breakdown before and after hunting season and a bore snake after shooting. I deep cleaned the barrel and there was a ton of stuff that came out and it looked clean previously to deep cleaning.

https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/b...shotgun-barrel

After that I did a "polish"
    http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

I didn't do the shotgun shells chamber protector thing.

Was it worth it? I don't know. Cleaning seems a lot easier and it doesn't seem to have hurt anything. My guns all threw really good patterns but I hadn't really patterned them to that extent before. I doubt I will deep clean after every shooting session but once a year or so isn't out of the question.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Although modern primers and powder are non-corrosive excessive fouling can hold moisture and promote rusting. The same is true of dust. This can be a real problem in the south during the hot hazy summer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I recently listened to P&S #126 and several members of the esteemed panel mentioned cleaning the plastic fouling put to restore patterns. I have no 12 gauge brushes, so now there are some in my Brownell's cart waiting on the next discount code.

How often do you clean your shotgun bore?
    I listened to that one. I remember one thing Fisher mentioned was using a 10 gauge bore brush to dry strip the plastic fouling out. Might be worth trying that method?

As to how often I clean my shotgun bore, I can't remember the last time I did (pretty sure when I cleaned it last was 3-4 addresses ago), so I'm going to say "Not often enough".
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I typically punch the bore once a year on the shotguns I use to teach and practice. A tornado brush used vigorously with a little bit of good quality solvent works well.

I take the gun apart and wipe it down to apply lubrication probably every other class I do with them

I squirt a little lube on them before every range session.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    How often? As needed ....

I wet the inside of my barrels with solvent and follow-up with a pass or two (manually) with a Hoppes SS Tornado brush. After that, a couple of passes with a bronze bristle brush covered with a solvent soaked patch and they're usually spotless. It's worth mentioning that smooth/polished barrels foul less and are easier to clean.

https://wagnershells.com/product/hop...rush-12-gauge/
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I typically punch the bore once a year on the shotguns I use to teach and practice. A tornado brush used vigorously with a little bit of good quality solvent works well.

I take the gun apart and wipe it down to apply lubrication probably every other class I do with them

I squirt a little lube on them before every range session.

I believe that I first heard about using the tornado brushes from Greg Sullivan in his shotgun armorer class. I think that a smooth bore is where the tornado brush works well. I typically follow tht up with a 12 guage boresnake.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 04-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List