Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your gauge?

How often do you clean your gauge?

So, I picked up an 18" low profile XS sighted barrel. I temporarily put it on my glossy Wingmaster and it shot great. Excellent patterns with Rem low recoil 8 Pellet. I picked up a 1990s vintage Express recently and put together a proper social shotgun using this barrel and some spare parts. After running 2-300 rounds of mixed birdshot and buck through it I patterned it again and was disappointed.

I recently listened to P&S #126 and several members of the esteemed panel mentioned cleaning the plastic fouling put to restore patterns. I have no 12 gauge brushes, so now there are some in my Brownell's cart waiting on the next discount code.

How often do you clean your shotgun bore?

Cleaning shotguns sucks, especially when there’s slug leading. The best solution I’ve found is a bronze brush on a rod, soak with Kroil, spin with a hand drill.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

What is this "clean" you talk of?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    People clean those?

I wipe them down with oil, but rarely actually clean them. I could be wrong to do that.

How often? As needed ....

I wet the inside of my barrels with solvent and follow-up with a pass or two (manually) with a Hoppes SS Tornado brush. After that, a couple of passes with a bronze bristle brush covered with a solvent soaked patch and they're usually spotless. It's worth mentioning that smooth/polished barrels foul less and are easier to clean.

https://wagnershells.com/product/hop...rush-12-gauge/
    Last edited by 41magfan; 04-12-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

How often? At the end of every duck season - whether they need it or not...

After every shooting session for me. I really do not like to let the melted plastic from the hulls build up in the bore because that stuff can be a nightmare to remove if I do not stay on top of it. I rather spend ten minutes after every session than three hours once patterns start having issues or the shells are hard to extract and eject. Plus I never want another choke tube welded into the barrel.

Site Supporter
    Useful solvents for removing plastic fouling include CRC Brakleen, Kingsford Charcoal Lighter, paint thinner, and WD-40.
    WD-40 is not being suggested to lube with. Regardless, the selected product works best if allowed to remain in barrel for a few minutes before use. The easy way is to spray WD-40 on 0000 steel wool wrapped around a brush attached to a rod and spun.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Useful solvents for removing plastic fouling include CRC Brakleen, Kingsford Charcoal Lighter, paint thinner, and WD-40.
    WD-40 is not being suggested to lube with. Regardless, the selected product works best if allowed to remain in barrel for a few minutes before use. The easy way is to spray WD-40 on 0000 steel wool wrapped around a brush attached to a rod and spun.
    I use carb cleaner and a bore snake dedicated for carb cleaner use. I have used acetone, but carb cleaner seems to need less time. The amount of plastic removed is amazing. More than I would expect. Three things to note:

1) Do this outside.
    2) Do not let the carb cleaner get on the stock and/or any plastic components. Watch out for barrel beads or carbon fiber barrel ribs.
    3) Must lube after cleaning.

If there is one, I also remove the choke tube, clean it, add anti-seize, and install.

User Tag List