Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Case Study in the Outsourcing of U.S. Border Control

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Does the Rio Grande have crocodiles and sharks with frickin laser beams?

Great minds and all.
    Alligators aren’t unheard of near the Gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Sharks and crocodiles tend to live in salt water which would probably complicate things, but other than that...
    A minor setback, I'll give you that, but if they can make Shamu comfortable at Seaworld we can figure out a way to get the water salty enough.

A minor setback, I'll give you that, but if they can make Shamu comfortable at Seaworld we can figure out a way to get the water salty enough.
    We just need to find or breed a few diadromous species.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Fill it with Progressive/Liberal Tears?
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 04-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If you google "wall won't work" there are literally dozens of articles in the first few pages. Maybe I'm the one taking the liberty here, as I honestly thought I'd seen more claims of it not doing anything, but ineffective, won't work, etc is all saying the same thing IMO.

The policy failure is the lack of consequences for illegal immigrants. There is too much to gain and not nearly enough to lose to not attempt to break the immigration laws. Sure a wall is also a band aid solution, but give me a better one. By better, I mean one that can be implemented faster, for lower cost, remain in place for as long (policy changes all the time, a big ass border wall isn't going to just disappear with a new administration), and be as effective. Yes, people will find ways around but simple logic tells me that walking across open ground is far faster than digging a tunnel. Finally, who gives a shit about a humanitarian nightmare? Especially one that is entirely self-induced? The notion that we shouldn't build a wall because it'll create a mess of people on the Mexican side of the border is ridiculous, unless I just completely misunderstood you.
    I'm sure the right kinds of walls, cost-effectively place in the right places, with supporting patrols, etc. might be part of a much larger strategy to manage people crossing the border, which is part of a much larger strategy of managing immigration, illegal and otherwise.

If the conversation keeps coming back to "just build a wall" then I assume I am dealing with someone unwilling or unable to grasp the larger challenges and I'm not interested in wasting cycles on such a conversation.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Why go to all that trouble when a wall would work just as well? /Sarc
    A wall works way better than no wall/ nor Sarc

Something that has always bothered me about these type of issues is that people want to attack the supply-side of the issue, rather than the demand-side. For example, we have a war on drugs instead of a war on drug users. Prohibition created a new class of criminal. Narcotics users have created an even worse class. And that class works with the people who assist (for a fee, of course) people crossing into the USA. As long as there is a demand for anything illegal, enterprising individuals will find a way to profit from that demand. Booze, drugs, US residency, etc. are all the same: in demand. And when the demand exists, money can be made and people defend their income streams. Part of the immigration flows from Mexico exist because prospective immigrants, legal or otherwise, believe life is/will be better in the USA. As long as that is the case, the USA will be dealing with people trying to get here. And, in some ways, that is a good thing as not too many people want to emigrate to crummy places to live. So we do not want to attack the demand-side by making the USA a cesspool. Thus, we need to address demand in other ways.

My thought is that as long as make it difficult for good people to get here legally, we will have issues. And the USA does make it very hard for people who do the right thing and apply for visas to come here. I am absolutely amazed at how long and how expensive it is to legally immigrate to the USA. If we want to be able to select immigrants, the system for processing them needs to improve, both in selection methodology and speed of processing. Why spend years and tons of money on applications and visa visits when all you need to do is cross the border illegally?

Expecting other countries to help us is a bit naive. Why should Mexico house "asylum seekers"? How does it benefit Mexico? How does it lower the demand to get to the USA? It just makes the supply-side more valuable and attractive.

As for the wall, I see it as having some value but not being a panacea. Every wall was breached, even the Berlin Wall, which had the opposite goal. And the East Germans had no issues using techniques (mines and gunfire to spying and torture) to keep people in East Germany that the USA will never abide. The demand for freedom was so high that people risked their lives to cross into West Berlin. Same thing except that the USA is West Berlin. So the wall itself will never be enough; we need to provide a way for good people to come to the USA so that we can better focus on those bad people who still will try. It will never be 100%, but it can be better.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-12-2019 at 05:42 PM.

I spent 16 years of my life living within 20 miles of the border. I was born in El Paso. I was on the border for several months in AZ just a few years ago. This was during the winter when most people try to cross.

I'm not very optimistic about a wall. 1) It's impossible to build a wall in some areas due to terrain and flooding. A road has to built along the wall for maintenance and patrol. 2) In the areas where it can be built there are property rights issues. One doesn't just build a wall or anything in this country without dealing with property rights in the courts. You can't get around due process and eminent domain proceedings. That takes at least a year to resolve once started. I don't think any have been started yet. Then there's the sovereign nations that need to be dealt with. About 70 miles of the border is on the Tohono O’odham reservation. A lot of illegals cross on that reservation. There's a huge BP compound on the west edge of that reservation to deal with that. Illuminating flares at night and helicopters/BP patrols during the day is all you see down there.

The wall would just be a huge waste of money and take years to build.

What really needs to happen is immigration reform. Let the ones in that can be vetted. No documents from the country they came from no entry. Document them ( figure prints, photos, ID ) and give them legal status. Find them jobs. Have them report to INS every 6 months with proof of employment. Make the requirements to be in this country tough. Criminals should be deported immediately upon conviction. People without jobs should be deported. Make them all nothing more than a working class like the Chinese and Irish in the 1800's. If an adult can make it 10 years they would be eligible for citizenship. That includes the illegals already here.

If the immigration law was changed to deal with this influx we might have a better chance of adding a legal labor force that is needed and ejecting the undesirables.

We recently hired some skilled labor to do some work on our house. It took me 2 months to find someone to do the work. You can't tell me there isn't a labor shortage in the trades in this country. Even Trump hires illegals in his resorts.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Well, this in interesting:

Reports: Trump offered to pardon Homeland Security head if law broken while closing border

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...NJp5Ork7JzSOiY
    Last edited by HCM; 04-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    A wall works way better than no wall/ nor Sarc
    IgnoreUser(wsr) /NoSarc
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List