Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Case Study in the Outsourcing of U.S. Border Control

Site Supporter

Post A Case Study in the Outsourcing of U.S. Border Control

US cooperation with Panama on migration enforcement. The focus is the Darien Gap in southeastern Panama which is still the most difficult stretch in making a land transit from South America. Similar cooperation with Mexico at their southern border could be very effective in stemming the current onslaught from Central America,

https://www.lawfareblog.com/case-stu...q5Pm7q1X855Dyk

A Case Study in the Outsourcing of U.S. Border Control

Over the past year, the Trump administration has put forth an array of measures to deter immigration to the United States, including separating families, enacting a zero-tolerance stance toward irregular crossings, and—most recently—requiring asylum seekers to remain in Mexico while awaiting their asylum claim decisions. Despite these efforts, in February 2019, apprehension numbers from the United States’s southern border hit their highest levels in 10 years. The administration’s ongoing frustration with the ineffectiveness of its domestic migration policies has pushed its focus southward, with President Trump slashing foreign aid for El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras after accusing the governments of all three countries—and Mexico—of not doing enough to stem migration.

But even further south, the U.S. has another, quieter partner in migration enforcement. Out of the public eye and ire, Panama has ramped up its cooperation with the U.S., detaining migrants headed north and sharing information with U.S. officials. This collaboration specifically targets a small portion of migrants, originating in countries outside of the Western Hemisphere but en route to the U.S. To successfully work with the United States, Panamanian law enforcement officers are trained by their U.S. counterparts, all while receiving new monitoring equipment and technology.
    Yet these challenges don’t deter everyone. Each year, tens of thousands of migrants en route to the U.S. attempt to cross the Darien Gap. Estimates on the number of annual transit migrants in Panama range from 20,000 (consistent with public Panamanian apprehension figures) to 34,000 (based on Colombian apprehension figures). These figures are small compared to Venezuelan refugee outflows across South America—where an estimated 3.4 million Venezuelans have fled their country since 2014. But unlike other mass migrations in Latin America, the majority of migrants currently moving through Panama originate in countries outside the Western Hemisphere, such as Eritrea, Nepal, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Cameroon. These extracontinental migrants are attempting to arrive in the U.S. for a variety of reasons similar to Latin American migrants, including to reunify with family, to seek asylum or to search for economic opportunities.

Both regional immigration policies and geographic constraints contribute to this particular migration flow. First, extracontinental migrants often enter the Americas through Brazil or Ecuador, which have laxer visa laws. This migrant population then continues north, typically with an intended destination of the U.S. or Canada. Second, the crossing point between Colombia and Panama is almost impossible, meaning that only migrants without other migration options attempt the journey. The extracontinental population—together with migrants from Cuba and Haiti—tend to be the migrants with such limited options to enter the U.S., again given the United States’s strict visa regulations.

Extracontinental migrants represent only a small portion of the individuals arriving to the U.S. In fiscal 2018, only 3.2 percent of migrants apprehended along the U.S.-Mexico southern border originated from the African and Asian continents, barely denting overall U.S. apprehension figures. However, that figure is up from only 2 percent in fiscal 2017 as this population continues to increase every year. The United States’s real interest in this population lies in the security and political challenges posed by extracontinental migrants’ countries of origin. In fact, since at least 2011 the Department of Homeland Security has used a different lexicon for this population, opting instead to use the term “special interest alien” when referring to migrants originating in countries that “promote, produce, or protect terrorist organizations or their members.” Despite these heightened concerns, however, there is no evidence that extracontinental migrants pose any greater threat to U.S. national security.

So while the remote jungle of the Darien Gap may feel far away from the migration debates in Washington, Panama’s border patrol efforts are actually closely linked to U.S. policies. For years, the U.S. has supported Panama’s border enforcement efforts, often as an extension of the United States’s own security and border priorities.

In 2008, Panama announced a modification to its border and jungle security entities to address the irregular flows of people and goods. The government effectively combined several law enforcement agencies into one security entity—known commonly as SENAFRONT, or the Servicio Nacional de Fronteras—that would patrol Panama’s land borders and seas, interdict drugs and weapons trafficking, and counter guerilla violence overflows from Colombia. Increasingly, SENAFRONT’s mandate also includes apprehending and detaining migrants. Since the agency’s restructuring, officers have been posted in almost every community throughout the Darien, often being helicoptered in to their posts or enduring up to 13-hour canoe rides through the jungle’s river system.

U.S. law enforcement and military forces offer training to SENAFRONT officers, including international courses—often held in the United States—but also “marksmanship, basic patrolling, land navigation, communication, medical skills, and engineer tasks” to be conducted in Panama. The United States also increasingly provides funding and equipment. In fiscal 2016, the United States provided Panamanian security forces—including SENAFRONT—with more than US$8 million in funds, an almost 800 percent increase from fiscal 2014 as the countries’ migration and security cooperation increased. These funds went toward radios, boats for maritime patrol, night-vision goggles and dive gear. Most were allocated to security forces operating in the Darien Gap.

In exchange, Panama apprehends migrants and exchanges information on the transit migration population through the United States’s biometric registration system, known as BITMAP. According to the United States’s 2018 Biometric Identification Transnational Migration Alert Program Authorization Act, the BITMAP system was “established to equip international partner-country law enforcement officers to collect and share biometric and biographic data on special interest individuals and to identify potential threat actors transiting through participating countries.” Panama is one of these participating countries—and by July 2017, Panama had already entered more than 20,000 registries into this system.

Overall, Panamanian officials apprehend the vast majority of extracontinental migrants while they travel through the Darien, given the jungle’s natural bottleneck effect. This means that Panamanian border security officials will run every apprehended migrant’s biographic information through international databases weeks, or even months, before migrants complete their transit to the U.S. southern border. They then share that information with U.S. law enforcement authorities. Such moves represent an almost invisible form of border security outsourcing, targeted primarily at the extracontinental migrant population.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-11-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Why go to all that trouble when a wall would work just as well? /Sarc
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Why go to all that trouble when a wall would work just as well? /Sarc
    Do you have locks on the doors to your house? Do you secure your guns in a safe. You have so much knowledge to share about "shooting" but your TDS overwhelms your valuable input to PF.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Do you have locks on the doors to your house? Do you secure your guns in a safe. You have so much knowledge to share about "shooting" but your TDS overwhelms your valuable input to PF.
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. In this case, Defense in depth is 1,000 x > a wall.

Walls are effective in urban areas and in some other areas for channeling movement but all they do is make illegal crossers easier to catch. They are an obstacle not a barrier. A tactic not a strategy.

The idea of a wall as the ultimate solution to Border security is ridiculous. It is kabuki theater providing the appearance of border security. Do you want Border security or the appearance of border security?

If you want real border security there are several other things which would be better use of the same money.

- Actually enforcing the “remains in Mexico pending asylum” provisions of the 1996 Immigration Act was a good start
    - More immigration judges and DHS Attorneys to address the 800,000 and growing case back log
    -More detention space and mandatory GPS monitoring for those who can’t be detained pending proceedings.
    -diplomatic and economic pressure on Mexico to engage in something similar to SENAFRONT and deport Other Than Mexican (OTM) migrants detained in Mexico instead of releasing them with 20 day transit visas and allowing them to pass through to the U.S. unhindered.

Though Mexicans no longer constitute the majority of illegal migrants the Mexican Government is shitting all over us by giving a wink and a nod to all the OTM migrants passing through Mexico. We are Mexico’s bigger trading partner - use that pressure point.

A better solution would have been to address some of the legal and logistical issues barring a major/ mass casualty event involving foreigners congress is unlikely to do so. The Democrats want new D voters and the Republicans want to make money off cheap labor.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-12-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Exactly, HCM.

There is a simple solution (example: wall) to every complex problem.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t work.

A Case Study in the Outsourcing of U.S. Border Control

The biggest thing I got from that article was that in 2016, we provided $8 mil to the PDF, largely for equipment (and maybe training) to enhance observation and biometric collection of migrants that account for about 2% of those apprehended along the border. That is a fantastic argument for how worthless some of the recent policies are. For @HCM, or the other guys that may know from first-hand experience, what does the enrollment into BITMAP actually do?

The wall is just part of the solution to the problem. I honestly don't understand how people can say it won't do anything. Its far from a 100% solution, but it will have an effect. Its nice to have partner nations assisting us, but that is going to have a much higher cost:benefit ratio over the long term. The principle of having foreign countries do a significant part of securing our own border seems asinine to me. Do we really expect the Mexican government to be effective at anything? Wasn't that country largely taken over by the cartels many years ago?
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The biggest thing I got from that article was that in 2016, we provided $8 mil to the PDF, largely for equipment (and maybe training) to enhance observation and biometric collection of migrants that account for about 2% of those apprehended along the border. That is a fantastic argument for how worthless some of the recent policies are. For HCM, or the other guys that may know from first-hand experience, what does the enrollment into BITMAP actually do?

The wall is just part of the solution to the problem. I honestly don't understand how people can say it won't do anything. Its far from a 100% solution, but it will have an effect. Its nice to have partner nations assisting us, but that is going to have a much higher cost:benefit ratio over the long term. The principle of having foreign countries do a significant part of securing our own border seems asinine to me. Do we really expect the Mexican government to be effective at anything? Wasn't that country largely taken over by the cartels many years ago?
    The same benefit as any other any other early warning system. Having a preview of illegal migrants from outside the Western Hemisphere and time to positively identify them before they get to the border is quite useful in sorting the threats from the guys who just want to be cab drivers.

As for a wall, as I stated, it’s a tool that has uses but the Trump camp has sold the sound bite that building a wall will completely stop all illegal border traffic. This is a lie. It won’t stop anything, if I build a wall of HESCO barriers around my FOB in Afghanistan does that mean that is all I need to keep the enemy out ? No. The wall has to be watched and defended and used in conjunction with ISR, concertina, patrols etc, etc, etc, None of those things work by themselves. It’s one part of a system of defense in depth but if the Taliban can get to the wall, they can get over it or through it.

A wall can help you ID and catch people crossing but that still leaves the same problem we have now- what to do with those you catch ? Most of the current influx are not Mexicans and even if you returned the OTMs to Mexico they would just try again which is why it is specifically prohibited by our own immigration laws, even if Mexico allowed it.

This is a classic case of amateurs talk tactics and professionals talk logistics.

Re: Mexico, you are displaying an common misconception of Mexico. Mexico has a lot of poor people and a third world economic strata without much of a middle class but Mexico as a whole is not a poor country. They are usually 11th to 15th in GDP, usually placing somewhere around Australia GDP wise. The Mexican are very capable when the want to be. They merely need the proper motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The same benefit as any other any other early warning system. Having a preview of illegal migrants from outside the Western Hemisphere and time to positively identify them before they get to the border is quite useful in sorting the threats from the guys who just want to be cab drivers.

Maybe my perception would change with first hand experience, but I just don't see how that accomplishes very much. If they're caught running across the border, how much history of biometric data is needed? Do the laws get more strict for multiple attempts at entry? And if they're already a known threat, why are they not detained and dealt with by whomever is enrolling them in the system? I assume there has to be more to it, but I'm unable to envision getting anything out of the system than where he/she was logged before, which doesn't seem that it would really help prevent anything.

As for a wall, as I stated, it’s a tool that has uses but the Trump camp has sold the sound bite that building a wall will completely stop all illegal border traffic. This is a lie. It won’t stop anything, if I build a wall of HESCO barriers around my FOB in Afghanistan does that mean that is all I need to keep the enemy out ? No. The wall has to be watched and defended and used in conjunction with ISR, concertina, patrols etc, etc, etc, None of those things work by themselves. It’s one part of a system of defense in depth but if the Taliban can get to the wall, they can get over it or through it.

I haven't heard anyone preach it as such. Then again, I don't really listen to that stuff, but unless he is paying for it by cutting other security measures, I don't really see the issue - much less a basis for the claim that it won't do anything. It will do something. As you said, its an obstacle. Obstacles disrupt and cannalize forces. If nothing else, a proper wall will force a significant majority of illegals that run across the border into a few choke points. The tighter those choke points are, the less additional resources are needed to control them. Its very hard to go over a proper wall and you can control how difficult or easy it is to go around it.

A wall can help you ID and catch people crossing but that still leaves the same problem we have now- what to do with those you catch ? Most of the current influx are not Mexicans and even if you returned the OTMs to Mexico they would just try again which is why it is specifically prohibited by our own immigration laws, even if Mexico allowed it.

Agreed that is a problem, in my mind possibly the biggest problem. I don't want this thread to devolve like the last one, so I'll refrain from saying much, but I still don't think any significant effect will be seen until there are more consequences for those who try to cross illegally. In a lot of cases, they have almost nothing to lose, so what is to stop them from trying? That's a hard question to answer, but is the root of the problem IMO.

This is a classic case of amateurs talk tactics and professionals talk logistics.

Re: Mexico, you are displaying an common misconception of Mexico. Mexico has a lot of poor people and a third world economic strata without much of a middle class but Mexico as a whole is not a poor country. They are usually 11th to 15th in GDP, usually placing somewhere around Australia GDP wise. The Mexican are very capable when the want to be. They merely need the proper motivation.

Regardless of GDP and the capability of the people, is the government really that effective? We'd be leveraging their support, that's it. I doubt they'll ever see it as their actual problem, so that solution is only as good as the effort they put into it. We've sanctioned countries before and seemingly rarely got anything out of it. Even if we did, how long will it take?
    The more I think of it, the more it seems like the analogy of an extremity hemorrhage fits. Slow the massive blood loss first. The wall is a tourniquet to do that. Sure it wont stop all of the blood, and there are other issues that will come up and things to consider, but if we don't provide some type of immediate solution (half solution or not), nothing else will matter because it'll be too late. 170k people in two months. Most of us can't even conceive an amount of people that large.
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The biggest thing I got from that article was that in 2016, we provided $8 mil to the PDF, largely for equipment (and maybe training) to enhance observation and biometric collection of migrants that account for about 2% of those apprehended along the border. That is a fantastic argument for how worthless some of the recent policies are. For @HCM, or the other guys that may know from first-hand experience, what does the enrollment into BITMAP actually do?

Where has ANYONE claimed that it won't do anything? This is your straw man, not anyone else's.

Edited:

This starts with a policy - and our current policies have failed us and there are no meaningful new policies in the works.

Relying on physical walls to address a policy failure is ineffectively attempting to treat a symptom, not the problem. What do you think tens or hundreds of thousands of human beings are going to do when sitting on the far side of a fixed obstacle? (1) create a humanitarian nightmare and (2) find ways to overcome that obstacle - it's human nature.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 04-12-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. In this case, Defense in depth is 1,000 x > a wall.

Walls are effective in urban areas and in some other areas for channeling movement but all they do is make illegal crossers easier to catch. They are an obstacle not a barrier. A tactic not a strategy.

The idea of a wall as the ultimate solution to Border security is ridiculous. It is kabuki theater providing the appearance of border security. Do you want Border security or the appearance of border security?

If you want real border security there are several other things which would be better use of the same money.

- Actually enforcing the “remains in Mexico pending asylum” provisions of the 1996 Immigration Act was a good start
    - More immigration judges and DHS Attorneys to address the 800,000 and growing case back log
    -More detention space and mandatory GPS monitoring for those who can’t be detained pending proceedings.
    -diplomatic and economic pressure on Mexico to engage in something similar to SENAFRONT and deport Other Than Mexican (OTM) migrants detained in Mexico instead of releasing them with 20 day transit visas and allowing them to pass through to the U.S. unhindered.

Though Mexicans no longer constitute the majority of illegal migrants the Mexican Government is shitting all over us by giving a wink and a nod to all the OTM migrants passing through Mexico. We are Mexico’s bigger trading partner - use that pressure point.

A better solution would have been to address some of the legal and logistical issues barring a major/ mass casualty event involving foreigners congress is unlikely to do so. The Democrats want new D voters and the Republicans want to make money off cheap labor.
    I tend to agree with you 100% on this, but will point out that almost any layered defense includes a final physical barrier. I think the only folks who believe that the wall was the sole barrier to stopping the stream of criminals entering the country are the same folks who have an agenda. Whether that’s a simple orange man bad syndrome to simply opposing anything your political opponent wants is TBD. The fact is that in addition to the wall there have been other attempts to stem various tides. From travel bans, to increased enforcement...

What has been the reply:

Walls are evil and don’t work

Travel bans from high risk places are racist.

Enforcement of existing laws = kids in cages

Overt obstruction of justice via leaked ICE raids.

Overt animosity towards ICE via protesters allowed to run amok...

Face it. There is and were always more solutions to the immigration debacle proposed by various administrations over the last few decades. They are always dumbed down and demonized by the propaganda machine to insure they are “resisted” by the imbeciles that surround us.

There will be no solution to illegal immigration. EVER. There is too much power and $$ involved to warrant a solution. If the problem were solved the $$ and power would dwindle. Ever know a single dedicated beuroctat or politician who will willingly work to eliminate or reduce his own power and wealth making ability? Didn’t think so.

Something truly horrific will need to happen before anyone takes up the idea of actually doing something effective.

User Tag List