Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here still running Gen.4 Glock 19’s?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    I didn't know that the finger groove spacing was different between the Gen 4 19 and 17. I just knew that it felt weird, but I thought maybe the different height of the hump in the back made the front strap grooves feel weird. Good to know I wasn't just imagining things. I might give the 19.4 another chance now that I know a local gunsmith who does a good job removing the finger grooves and texturing the grip.
    Or take a wood rasp and some sandpaper.

As for the looks...well, keep it concealed.

The last couple days I have been strongly considering going back to a gen 4 gun, or at least buying a gen 4 completed lower and using the gen 5 upper on it.

The ambi slide stop lever on the Gen 5 is too wide in my opinion, and causes premature lock-backs for me with my Vogel-esque grip. It doesn't happen often, only whenever my grip isn't 100% perfect. If I cheat my grip (slightly loosen) for slow-fire shots where accuracy is my one and only concern, it will pop back 10-20% of the time. Keeps me honest. Had never occurred during "practical shooting" before this past Thursday, doing the IDPA 5x5 Classifier. After my first shot post-reload, it locked back. The culprit: compromised grip after a bad reload.

The Gen 5 would be true Glock Perfection if the slide release was as thin as the previous generations.
    Last edited by fwrun; 04-18-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    The last couple days I have been strongly considering going back to a gen 4 gun, or at least buying a gen 4 completed lower and using the gen 5 upper on it.

The ambi slide stop lever on the Gen 5 is too wide in my opinion, and causes premature lock-backs for me with my Vogel-esque grip. It doesn't happen often, only whenever my grip isn't 100% perfect. If I cheat my grip (slightly loosen) for slow-fire shots where accuracy is my one and only concern, it will pop back 10-20% of the time. Keeps me honest. Had never occurred during "practical shooting" before this past Thursday, doing the IDPA 5x5 Classifier. After my first shot post-reload, it locked back. The culprit: compromised grip after a bad reload.

The Gen 5 would be true Glock Perfection if the slide release was as thin as the previous generations.
    I had the same problem on my gen 3 glock 27. Under recoil my thumb would bump up the slide stop after I undercut my trigger guard. I just ground it down to a nub and never had a problem again, but I never used the slide stop anyway.

I wonder if taking a 19.5 and changing to an extra heavy 6.5# firing pin spring and unmarked connector would yield a trigger feel similar to a 19.4 with NY1 and either a dot connector or minus connector?

I have a friend running a gen 5 17 with a gen 4 slide release. It appears to fit and work properly but I’m not sure if it is only a matter of time before something goes wrong or it is good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman9mm View Post
    Asked the question for several reasons. The Gen 4’s had the most documented issues even recently. So was wondering how they were doing for people into higher round counts. I know the older pre 2009 glocks were great for the most part.
    I “think” that the 19 has always been more fussy than the 17 or 26, regardless of generation.

It is the meat of my left hand that bumps the slide release lever. I am considering shaving down the thickness of the lever to match previous generations but I will not be grinding it off, I find them essential to prompt reloads.

As far as a gen 4 lever on the gen 5 gun, it *sortof* works. I fooled around with one in there but there isn’t enough spring tension due to the lack of a locking block pin. The lever will wiggle and can potentially catch the slide open in the way they can if installed incorrectly on the old guns.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I “think” that the 19 has always been more fussy than the 17 or 26, regardless of generation.
    Hater!

I've only had issues with my Gen2 19 when the RSA lost it's oomph.

(And the crack, ( eventually a chip), on the Gen2 at the mag well which Glock replaced with a Gen3 frame under warranty. Can't beat that for service 28 years after the purchase.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    That was my Agencies experience.

Site Supporter
    It is the meat of my left hand that bumps the slide release lever. I am considering shaving down the thickness of the lever to match previous generations but I will not be grinding it off, I find them essential to prompt reloads.

As far as a gen 4 lever on the gen 5 gun, it *sortof* works. I fooled around with one in there but there isn’t enough spring tension due to the lack of a locking block pin. The lever will wiggle and can potentially catch the slide open in the way they can if installed incorrectly on the old guns.
    Cutting off the right side lever and leaving the original part s another option.

User Tag List