Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First gun ordered. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Is there a checklist of things to do when I bring the gun home?

I changed the FFL and it should be here on Wednesday.
    I may be able to pick it up the same day if it comes early in the day.

Do I have to clean before I head out? I'll buy cleaning kit when I pick the gun at FFL store.
    Should I keep it in the case in the trunk to and from the range? Loaded/unloaded?

I haven't bought any ammo yet. My plan is to buy few boxes locally first few times.

Do I have to keep the magazines loaded for few days for spring to settle in?
    Slide locked for few days for recoil spring to settle in?

What else do I need to do before taking it to the range?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mystery; 04-15-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post

Do I have to clean before I head out? I'll buy cleaning kit when I pick the gun at FFL store.
    Should I keep it in the case in the trunk to and from the range? Loaded/unloaded?

I haven't bought any ammo yet. My plan is to buy few boxes locally first few times.

Thanks
    Mystery:

1. Yes, it's best to disassemble, clean, and relubricate according to factory directions before the first outing. This will ensure everything is working properly, the pistol isn't gunked up with "grease," and YOU learn how to handle the pistol properly before introducing live ammunition. I'd suggest this would be a good time to get some snap caps, set up a SAFE dry fire area, and work the trigger a little before the first range trip.

2. Do you have a CHL, or even live in an area where you can get one? If not, then yes, cased and unloaded is the best way to transport. If you have a CHL, you can load and holster, but many ranges are going to want the pistol cleared before going to the line, so that can add just one more chance of mishandling.

3. Buying ammo locally (and supporting a LGS) is always a good idea. DO NOT buy reloads - buy range fodder from a major manufacturer. No need to let the magazines or slide lock springs "take a set" - in fact that's the opposite of what you want. Spring life is typically measured in compression cycles - so the more often you load/unload or lock/release the slide, the faster the springs will wear out. On that point, though, it takes literally THOUSANDS of repetitions to really wear out a recoil spring, and hundreds or thousands of reps to kill a magazine spring. Don't over think it.

4. What you need before your range trip: good eye protection, soft ear protection, and good hard ear protection. Holster, mag pouches, etc can be worked later, after you've mastered the basics of handling your new pistol and shooting it accurately.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks
    You won't need to keep the slide locked back, and depending on the gun you shouldn't need to keep the mags loaded.

You'll probably want to clean the gun, however, as new-in-box guns are shipped with a protective light grease coating. People often think it's lube, but many of these sticky-ish protectants can gum up if shot without cleaning it off.

If the FFL has it, my favorite for both cleaning and lubrication is Slip 2000. Everyone has their favorite. BreakFree CLP and Hoppe's No. 9 Solvent and Hoppe's Gun Oil are the most common gun care products on the shelves in stores, and either will do fine. I have a lot of both left over from other purchases (like needing to pickup a cleaning rod and the only thing the store had was the entire complete kit with solvent and oil ) and use them frequently, but really only use Slip on my carry guns.

Whatever you do, just don't buy RemOil. That stuff is absolute garbage.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-15-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Not really. But you seem to have things mostly locked down here:

I usually think most cleaning kits are a bit overkill for dealing with one handgun. Most often they are "universal" kits for everything from a handgun to a shotgun. Over the years, I've acquired a box full of cleaning stuff and yet, when it's time to clean a gun, I use basically just the pieces in this Brownells kit:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod77636.aspx

I always disassemble a gun, inspect it, wipe the factory rust preventative grease, and lubricate it, before shooting. I do not believe you have to do this, but I think it's probably a good first practice.

I don't know your exact locality, but my advice is yes. Store it, in the case, in the trunk, to and from the range, and do so unloaded. Store ammunition in a separate container. You may wish to store both along with your cleaning kit, eye and hearing protection, in a "range bag". There are many kinds of such bags, but I actually lean towards a rather plain gym bag for this purpose, because box-shaped range bags are very obvious (to me at least).

Sound plan. Figure out what ammunition you and your firearm shoot well and then purchase that in bulk.

Thanks
    No need to do either. Though doing both may make it easier to rack the slide and/or load the magazines. If you have sufficient hand/arm strength, I'd not worry about this.

Things you may have missed that might be useful for you:

Eyes: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=shooting+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Ears: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...gateway&sr=8-3 (Muffs) and https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...gateway&sr=8-6 (Plugs) - I recommend BOTH. Particularly if shooting indoors. Outdoors, I will usually go with one (muffs or plugs depending on the situation). Having both is critical.

Dummy Rounds - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dummy+rou...f=nb_sb_noss_2 - ST Action Pros are what I use for my dry-fire training and ball and dummy drills (drills to help reduce flinching).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You may wish to store both along with your cleaning kit, eye and hearing protection, in a "range bag". There are many kinds of such bags, but I actually lean towards a rather plain gym bag for this purpose, because box-shaped range bags are very obvious (to me at least).
    Rob covered it all nicely, but this brought something to mind that I think is important to note.

@Mystery, use a dedicated bag/box/whatever to transport your gun stuff to the range. Use it for gun stuff and gun stuff only.

If you don't, you run a good risk of having a stray cartridge go through screening the next time you fly. Happens all the time. Depending on what airport you're at when it happens, it can either lead to an absolute panic and possibly your arrest if possession of such is illegal by state laws, or at the other end of the spectrum it will add 5-10 minutes delay at the TSA screening. The screeners almost always refer to local LE at the airport when such happens, so even if you're legally okay you'll have to wait however long just for a cop to show up, put it in his pocket and walk away.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks @psalms144.1, @TGS, @RevolverRob

I already have ear protection, in ear foam and electronic over the ear.
    I have Uvex glasses that I got from the class. I'll buy crosshair or similar later.
    Oh I forgot to update that I bought a membership and the range gives free eye/ear protection for members if needed.

Range bag is good idea. I have a tool bag somewhere to use for now.

I'll check the Snap caps as well.
    I was planning on buying all the accessories before I get the gun but wanted to wait for FFL background check.
    Shouldn't be any issue but who knows if I have a bad doppelganger somewhere.

I'm in Denver area.
    Legally, I'm okay carrying gun in the car even without a permit.
    The permit makes conceal carry legal outside the car.
    I will not open carry at all in public.

There’s lots of folks smarter than me here.

Here’s what I would do, assuming it is a modern commonly available service pistol.

Before I left the store, I would conduct a brief inventory of what’s in the case, vs. what I was supposed to receive (I bought an M&P that had a 10 round magazine, and I had to exchange it for a 17 rounder.)

At home, I would read the owners manual. Then I would do a basic field strip and examine the working surfaces. Even if you are not a gunsmith (I’m not) you can look for cracked or broken parts. If there is anything unusual, take it back.

Then I’d assemble the gun, following recommended procedure for lube as needed.

Follow transport laws for your state and status of your carry permit (yes/no). Unloaded in the trunk is a safe bet.

Sure, a few boxes of ammo aren’t going to break the bank. I’d pick 115 grain. Perhaps a known reliable brand popular in your area. Perhaps Federal, or a brand recommenced by the store. I’d stay away from anything marked ‘Defensive’ or ‘+P’, for now.

You can load magazines ahead of time. It should not matter. I do. To save time. If you don’t have an Uplula, you will buy one after your first range visit.

Same on the slide lock. It should not matter.

You’ll get into a routine going to the range. Here’s mine, fwiw.

I decide what I am trying to achieve on that visit. A drill, or strong hand, or B8s, or Dots. Then I print whatever targets I’m going to use.

I load mags (roughly 10) for the visit. I’ll clean my eye pro and check the batteries on my ear pro. I’ll pack my Uplula and an IKEA tray in a 1 gal zip lock for easy range loading. I’ll make sure I have blue painters tape to tape targets. I’ll put the gun I’m going to shoot into a Borestore softcase and put it in my bag. I’ll check my boo boo kit is full of bandaids, and my quick clot and TQ are handy, and I have a pen and Sharpie.

Check in at the range, listen and follow the range safety officer’s brief, even if you’ve heard it a million times.

Then have fun!

Congratulations!🎉

Don’t eat or drink anything or wipe your mouth immediately after shooting or while shooting. This could result in unnecessary lead ingestion. Instead, once you’re done shooting and put the gun in its container, wipe off your hands with some D-Lead wipes: https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod21601.aspx

Then, just to be sure, wash off your hands and forearms with soap and cold water. There’s also a D-Lead soap if you want to use it.

Also wear a baseball cap so hot brass doesn’t get stuck between your eyebrow and your eye protection.

That’s the advice I have. Have fun!
    Last edited by zuplex; 04-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    @Mystery - I won't bother to add to the advice you've been given here but it sure seems you have your head on right about this and that's good to see.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I use a Craftsman canvas tool bag as a range bag. Cheap and doesn't say guns; doesn't say "expensive stuff - steal me."

In the trunk is the safe way to carry. IMO, the firearms community doesn't talk enough about the Federal gun free school zone act, or whatever it is called exactly. Basically, the gun has to be locked up if you're within 1000 feet of the grounds of something you can be expected to know is a facility offering K-12 educational services, unless you have a carry permit that requires a background check from the state you're in. So my TX LTC doesn't do the job outside TX, even in a state that has reciprocity with TX. Since it's a Federal law, it holds regardless of the local jurisdiction's laws about transporting. Texas state law is OK with transport of a handgun in the car as long as it's not visible, but if it's not in a locked case (the trunk of the car counts) when I drive past the elementary school in my neighborhood (staying on the public right-of-way, not entering the grounds), then I'm violating Federal law. Having my LTC cures the problem, but only in TX.

I think this information should be included with any firearm purchase from any FFL. Unfortunately, you'll probably never hear about it from an FFL, since communication of the information is not legally required to be built into the system at any point.

This was a very high-level gloss from memory and I could be off on a detail, so look up the law and think it through.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-16-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List