Thread: How to make the wheels come off - rushing -

How to make the wheels come off - rushing -

A nice short piece by Tiger McKee in this morning's Tactical Wire - https://www.thetacticalwire.com/feat...0-a1b108ccc1a2

During a recent advanced handgun class I had students run the Federal Air Marshall qualification course of fire. The first time through they didn’t know what the par times were. Everyone scored high on marksmanship, and their times weren’t that bad. On the next run they were told par for each course of fire. Everyone starts pushing the speed – drawing, shooting and reloading fast in an attempt to meet the time requirements. Their accuracy suffered greatly, and their actions were no longer efficient. All because they thought they had to go “fast.”
    The "old" FAM course is a hard course of fire for most shooters, because of the tight accuracy and stingy time standards. That said, this is consistently something I've seen from my training and other shooters - Attempting to make "speed" by rushing.

Remember, to make speed, we need to make our movements efficient and decisive. One of the best ways is to isolate aspects of the mechanics and drill them until they are virtually instinctual. The , drawstroke, the sight picture, the trigger press, each drilled separately and then together.

I find I can only keep the wheels from coming off at speed if I spend as much time working draws, sight pictures, and presses in dry fire as I do running timed drills. When I do my dry drills I make sure to work exclusively one aspect of the fundamental mechanics for two dozen reps or so before or after doing the other drills.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.

User Tag List