Thread: MY first Glock a 17 3rd generation

MY first Glock a 17 3rd generation

I just bought my first Glock. I bought it from a small mom and pop gunstore and it what seems to be in very good condition. I have never shot let alone ever owned a Glock pistol before. Being a revolver man myself, yes I do own a ruger mark 4 that I love. I must say the Glock is a very fun gun to shoot even though I only load 5 rounds in each magazine and only shoot paper targets at the indoor gun range. I cant wait to try it out at the steel target range.

MY question is I see there are gen4 and gen 5 models out, is the gen 3 still a good gun and not to far outdated even if so I think I will get my moneys worth of fun out of it. I was amazed at how easy it is to field strip the gun for cleaning and maintaince.
    I also find the gun to be pretty accurate, the trigger could be a little better, other than that it seems to be a fine gun. Anyhow I had to come on here and brag about my new to me purchase.

Congrats! I wouldn't sweat the generational differences until you have mastered shooting a Glock. As far as the trigger - do you know if it is a stock 5.5lb gun?

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Congrats! I wouldn't sweat the generational differences until you have mastered shooting a Glock. As far as the trigger - do you know if it is a stock 5.5lb gun?
    Its a stock 5.5 there nothing really wrong with the trigger. I think its the fact that it is different to me...still fun to shoot.

I have a number of Gen 3 Glocks. I’d easily buy another if the price was right. I’d look at a Gen 5 if buying new but I don’t see wholesale replacement for my Gen 2, 3 and 4 Glocks.

I have a Gen 3 G17 and really enjoy it. Of the handful of Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks that I have fired, I prefer the Gen 3 trigger---it's got a slight roll to the break point rather than the more prominent wall with the Gen 4.

Site Supporter
    I'm a 1911 guy, but I still have a Gen 3 G34 and it works great. I like the trigger and it has never malfunctioned.

Site Supporter
    My primary carry and training systems ( G35 and G34) are 3rd Gen Glocks. I skipped the whole Gen 4 party.

Before I carried the gun, I would change the trigger return spring, recoil spring and confirm that it had a standard OEM connector. I would buy three new OEM magazines to carry and either three more to train with or you could use Magpuls for training only mags as well.

If you are only going to use it for the range, I would confirm the OEM connector and drive on. If the gun is as "unshot" as you suspect, the trigger will get better over the next few thousand dry/live fire pulls. I like to put a bit of lithium bearing grease on the top of my connector to "smooth" things out a bit.

I would buy a well priced Gen 3 9mm Glock all day long if I was in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    My primary carry and training systems ( G35 and G34) are 3rd Gen Glocks. I skipped the whole Gen 4 party.

Before I carried the gun, I would change the trigger return spring, recoil spring and confirm that it had a standard OEM connector. I would buy three new OEM magazines to carry and either three more to train with or you could use Magpuls for training only mags as well.

If you are only going to use it for the range, I would confirm the OEM connector and drive on. If the gun is as "unshot" as you suspect, the trigger will get better over the next few thousand dry/live fire pulls. I like to put a bit of lithium bearing grease on the top of my connector to "smooth" things out a bit.

I would buy a well priced Gen 3 9mm Glock all day long if I was in the market.
    ILL HAVE TO GET SOME LITHIUM GREASE...THANKS

While the later generations are slightly improved the gen 3 is still a solid gun. You can't go wrong with a 9mm Glock of any generation. I have several gen 3's and gen 4's. I prefer the 4's but I'm not going to bother selling off the 3's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List