Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI Iver Johnson Revolver

RFI Iver Johnson Revolver

Picked up a "38 snub" from an acquaintance. For the price was excited to pick up a snub 38 just to have one. He got it in a trade, and didnt really have anything invested. I'm not a novice to revolver safety, but am pretty clueless about wheelgun history and calibers.

After a quick check to see it was unloaded, and showing them how to turn the cylinder I paid and headed home.

Some research tells me the "38 snub" is chambered for 38 S&W an older cartridge not the 38 Special I assumed.

Anything I should know? Did I just buy a paperweight, any idea on it's value?

Photos of the Roscoe...
    Name:  20190410_191746.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  66.7 KBName:  20190410_191758.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  68.6 KBName:  20190410_191821.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  42.6 KBName:  20190410_191951.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  52.9 KB

-Cory

It's probably .38 S&W.
    I've got a similar one in .32 long
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 04-10-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Looks to be gate-loading like an SA revolver. If the firing pin is on the nose of the hammer, it is most likely not safe to carry without an empty chamber under the hammer.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Looks to be gate-loading like an SA revolver. If the firing pin is on the nose of the hammer, it is most likely not safe to carry without an empty chamber under the hammer.
    I have no intention for this to be a carry or defensive firearm.

Yeah, its firing pin is on the hammer. Side gate loading, but without an ejector rod. Cylinder is fairly easy to remove, pull pin, cock hammer slightly to first notch. First cock notch frees the cylinder. Rotates clockwise.

Any idea on value, or if 38 S&W is any fun to shoot? I'm debating if I should keep it, or see what a local pawn says it's worth.

-Cory

.38 S&W
    Firing pin on hammer, Looks like only a half cock for safety
    It's value is precisely what you paid for it.

Fun?
    Even .38 S&W might kick a bit and I bet the trigger pull is tough.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 04-11-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Found pictures
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Actually, it should be safe. IJ patented the “safety revolver” in the 1800’s. Very similar system to what Ruger adopted. Look into the gap between the hammer and frame when you cock it. Should see a hammer block safety sliding down. 38 S&W isn’t close to 38 SPEC ballistically. Expensive but it can be found on the internet. Reloading is simple if you get some brass. Maybe work up some Brit 38/200 loads? Enjoy, and have fun with it.
    Last edited by medmo; 04-11-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Great sock drawer handgun. Nothing wrong with it. Most likely only round nose lead bullet ammo is available. Not a collector's item. Not valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Reloading is simple if you get some brass. Maybe work up some Brit 38/200 loads? Enjoy, and have fun with it.
    38/200 loads are generally not recommended for american make revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Great sock drawer handgun. Nothing wrong with it. Most likely only round nose lead bullet ammo is available. Not a collector's item. Not valuable.
    Name:  large_350_20.5A_Large.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  26.0 KB

Site Supporter
    This choice changes the game. It's the one.

User Tag List