Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness this whole pizza in my mouth

Fitness this whole pizza in my mouth

Been working on my fitness since the new year but I've been feeling that while I'm improving, my routine is a bit... inefficient?

Anyway I'm hoping to find a forum that is the equivalent of P-F and not like Glock Talk. At the moment, I am more interested in reading stickies and doing some background reading (as I call it) than making posts.

My goal is #1, to drop bodyfat and #2 to improve overall cardio + strength. The fitness stuff PatMac does (speaking of, does anyone have his CST eBook? Is it worth buying?) appeals to me. Looking good is important (to me anyway), but so is functionality (cardio, strength & mobility).

Still in the dropping bodyfat stage, and I'm wanting to do research now for the next stage.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Starting Strenght's forum is good, though Mark Rippitoe has a unique personality.

Barebell Medicine is good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Been working on my fitness since the new year but I've been feeling that while I'm improving, my routine is a bit... inefficient?
    You have a program that doesn't work or doesn't work as fast as you like?

Elitefts and EXRX have good reading.
    Strongfirst forum isn't bad.
    Last edited by txdpd; 04-10-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Starting Strenght's forum is good, though Mark Rippitoe has a unique personality.

Barebell Medicine is good as well.
    I've been there, good place for barbell stuff - but I also use kettlebells and am curious about those sorenix ball-things, maces/clubs and the bulgarian bag.

[QUOTE=txdpd;868635]

[\QUOTE]

You have a program that doesn't work or doesn't work as fast as you like?

Elitefts and EXRX have good reading.
    Strongfirst forum isn't bad.
    Wouldn't call it so much a "program" as it is "fuckarounditis" (Credit Martin Berkhan).

A warm up, Pull ups, kettlebell presses, KB deadlifts, KB swings. Recently I started throwing in sprints too. Got up to 9 MPH according to the Samsung health app thing. Pretty good for a big fella like me, IMO. Should start including farmers walks too.

EDIT: Added reply to txdpd
    Last edited by Jay585; 04-10-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    I've been there, good place for barbell stuff - but I also use kettlebells and am curious about those sorenix ball-things, maces/clubs and the bulgarian bag.
    Understand. I am not familiar with kettle bell use. Many years ago I used them, but don't remember much about it.

I am stronger than I have ever been, but I am putting too much fat on. Over the next few weeks I am planning on doing things like 100 reps of 275 deads, 225 squat, 155 bench. No matter how long it takes me to get it done, just pushing myself to levels of being uncomfortable. Likely Ill add in rowing or an hour on the treadmill. I have the time, so the only excuse not to do it is pure laziness.

It is hard to drop fat in the gym.... you have to do it in the kitchen.

Much like picking a hangun, it’s all about what your intentions are. Training for aesthetics will increase your athleticism to a degree. Training for performance will alter your aesthetics as a by-product. I have Pat Mac’s book and it’s a good, short read. In essence, he trains to be well rounded and not sacrificing one area to gain in another. When I was a professional model, I gained cardio, some strength, and mostly aesthetics at the expense of size. I couldn’t squat my body weight more than 10 reps but could run a 5 min mile. The last few years I have traded cardio and aesthetics for size and strength as I am 80 lbs heavier.

When I follow Mac’s routine I lose some strength but gain in cardio. I haven’t followed it long term to see what the aesthetics and size outcome looks like.

FWIW, my philosophy is as follows: Running around with four kids ages 10 and under leaves little time for the gym and proper diet planning. I eat like shit which puts me in an anabolic state by default. I am able to train 3x per week. Training heavy (Starting Strength) builds strength and size. The more muscle tissue you have the more calories your body burns just to maintain. A 240 lb man will burn more calories at rest than a 180 lb man. I eat what I want and what fits our lifestyle (i.e. Micky D’s, EasyMac, etc). If you start at say 220lbs and have 20% body fat, you have 44lbs of fat. If you build muscle and strength and get up to 240 lbs but alter your composition to 10% because your body naturally consumes more calories at rest, you now only have 24lbs of body fat. The aesthetics is a by-product but you have gained both size and strength. FWIW, I now squat 1.5 times my 80 pound heavier body weight for 10 reps without really breaking a sweat. I haven’t ran a mile in years so IDK what my time would be.

I have no degree/certification in training or nutrition and may have just stuck my foot in my mouth. My suggestion is start with some of Rippetoe’s articles on Staring Strength website.

I think Larry Lindenman is a great resource.

Start with LSD https://pointdriventraining.com/2016...base-with-lsd/

Add his thoughts on diet https://pointdriventraining.com/2016...iven-fat-loss/

Then strength https://pointdriventraining.com/2016...iven-fat-loss/

Strength training can look like a lot of things. Choose a program and follow it.

In my experience hanging around fitness training forums just encourages jumping from program to program.

Lately, post hernia surgery last year, I'm mostly just trying to stay in shape. I'm doing my take on Jim Wendler's high school football training. I have 10 planned sets of my main lift. Those are variations on squats, bench, deadlift, and overhead press. Then I choose 2 exercises that work on things I care about. It could be db/KB variations on the lifts, direct ab work, pullups, carries, etc. I superset the 2 other exercises in an alternating fashion until I've done 10 sets of main lift and 5 of each supplemental exercise. It takes 25-45 minutes most days and keeps my heart rate up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Memento Mori

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post

Still in the dropping bodyfat stage, and I'm wanting to do research now for the next stage.
    Basically any program comes down to this:

Step 1-eat less
    Step 2-eat better food
    Step 3-do whatever type of cardio you can stand
    Step 4-lift heavy things
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List