Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitness this whole pizza in my mouth

Fitness this whole pizza in my mouth

I have Mac’s book and went to one of his CST classes. Bithbwere good, but nothing groundbreaking to me. He definitely uses a unique program with certain benefits, but the two big things I got from his book are things you see from following his IG: targeting often neglected areas like the neck and transverse plane of motion, and using whatever you have to do everything you can, as opposed to 3x10 or whatever. I can’t remember how much it is, but I think it was a decent read.

I will say that while I’ve been shitty in following them in the last year and a half, the Soflete programming is worth a look. Their app is really good and easy to follow and they always incorporate mobility work. Plus they have a fair amount of programs to help you find what works best for you. And if you’re on Facebook, their team room group has plenty of dudes with decent knowledge and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-11-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    A warm up, Pull ups, kettlebell presses, KB deadlifts, KB swings. Recently I started throwing in sprints too. Got up to 9 MPH according to the Samsung health app thing. Pretty good for a big fella like me, IMO. Should start including farmers walks too.
    That looks like a basically good program, Jay. Are you working with heavy enough weights? When you're young almost anything works, but eventually it seems that heavy weights / low reps tends be better. Many people have had good results with a minimalist program ("An upper body pull, an upper body push, and something for the legs") combined with adequate recovery time and a diabetic diet.

Example diet:
    High Fat / Low Carb combined with intermittent fasting (reference: The Obesity Code, Fung).

Example program:
    Monday and Thursday: KB press / weighted chins / suitcase carry.
    Tuesday and Friday: KB swings (for cardio) and CoC grips (because if you can't hold it, you can't lift it).

Weight:
    Work up to 1/2 bodyweight on KB presses and chins, bodyweight in the swings, and bodyweight (each hand) in the carry. Once comfortable with those weights, segue into a strength-conditioning program (reference: "The Fighter Pullup Program")

Guidance:
    Search T-Nation for almost anything by Dan John.

First off, thank you for all the replies. Some stuff I already knew, and some was new.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I think Larry Lindenman is a great resource.

*snip*

In my experience hanging around fitness training forums just encourages jumping from program to program.
    Larry Lindenman is a good guy, I remember reading his "stroke volume" and diet thoughts on TPI forum. I will admit though, I didn't like how dismissive of the keto diet he was.

Can you elaborate on forums & switching programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have Mac’s book and went to one of his CST classes.
    Does his book outline a program or does it just kind of tell you, "this exists, don't forget to work it"?

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    That looks like a basically good program, Jay. Are you working with heavy enough weights? When you're young almost anything works, but eventually it seems that heavy weights / low reps tends be better. Many people have had good results with a minimalist program ("An upper body pull, an upper body push, and something for the legs") combined with adequate recovery time and a diabetic diet.

Example diet:
    High Fat / Low Carb combined with intermittent fasting (reference: The Obesity Code, Fung).

Example program:
    Monday and Thursday: KB press / weighted chins / suitcase carry.
    Tuesday and Friday: KB swings (for cardio) and CoC grips (because if you can't hold it, you can't lift it).

Weight:
    Work up to 1/2 bodyweight on KB presses and chins, bodyweight in the swings, and bodyweight (each hand) in the carry. Once comfortable with those weights, segue into a strength-conditioning program (reference: "The Fighter Pullup Program")

Guidance:
    Search T-Nation for almost anything by Dan John.
    Love Dan John and have his books on Kindle. Reading his stuff makes me want to do Scottish games.

I'm surprised to hear that I might have a good program. It's basically "big upper back brah" with "I got posture issues and I think working the back will help fix it". And cardio.

As far as weight goes, I have kettlebells: 35# 52# 70# (I can't get into the whole kilo thing). Been using the 52# for the KB presses, just started using the 70# for 2 handed swings.

I can't see doing bodyweight swings. 220# meaning 110 in each hand? A fella who can do that would be a beast.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

First off, thank you for all the replies. Some stuff I already knew, and some was new.

Larry Lindenman is a good guy, I remember reading his "stroke volume" and diet thoughts on TPI forum. I will admit though, I didn't like how dismissive of the keto diet he was.

Does his book outline a program or does it just kind of tell you, "this exists, don't forget to work it"?

Love Dan John and have his books on Kindle. Reading his stuff makes me want to do Scottish games.

I'm surprised to hear that I might have a good program. It's basically "big upper back brah" with "I got posture issues and I think working the back will help fix it". And cardio.

As far as weight goes, I have kettlebells: 35# 52# 70# (I can't get into the whole kilo thing). Been using the 52# for the KB presses, just started using the 70# for 2 handed swings.

I can't see doing bodyweight swings. 220# meaning 110 in each hand? A fella who can do that would be a beast.
    Dan John has a forum, too, and is very accessible. Lot of older, knowledgeable guys on that forum that are way past the "I don't know what the question is, but low bar back squats is always the answer" that you will find at Starting Strength. Dan is active and will answer and chime in on most anything.

https://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/...p?fid/73/fp/1/

I think you'd like the Strongfirst forum. But they will probably tell you to reach the "Simple" standard of the book "Simple and Sinister."

"Simple" is 100 one-hand swings and 10 get-ups with a 70lb kettlebell. The 10×10 swings must be completed in 5 minutes, followed by 1 minute of rest and 10×1 get-ups performed in 10 minutes.

I resisted doing "Simple and Sinister" cause how can two exercises be a complete program? But I eventually spent a few months with it until I reached "Simple". Press went up, pullups went up, deadlift went up (I hadn't actively been training the DL before S&S, to be fair.) And the TGUs just make one's daily movement better. So it was a great choice for me.

I have vague plans of one day trying to reach Sinister, which is the same as above except the weight is a 106lb kettlebell. To reach that, I would do a hybrid program of swings, get ups and presses and other movements, rather than just swings and get ups that are in the book.

If you like kettlebells, a pretty common progression is "Simple" followed by a round or two of Rite of Passage (mostly a clean and press program, but there are also swings & snatches. You can coupled them with deadlifts and pullups) (both are Pavel programs) followed by a program of your choice. By then you'll know your way around kettlebells and decide if you want to go the double kb route, or change things up and go to back to barbells, etc.

-----------------

I think the internet's kinda/sorta relatively new emphasis on Squat/Bench/Dead is misguided for tactical folks (as well as regular guys). I'll be specific. I don't agree with Rip's apparent philosophy of just trying to increase your Big Three at the expense of movement, health, speed, endurance, etc. (I do love deadlifts though.) If you are really weak, then yes, maybe a 20 rep squat program or Starting Strength is what you need for a while. But trying to be a 70s-style powerlifter didn't make me a better tactical athlete. Rant off.

-----------------------

As others have mentioned, fat loss begins at the dinner table/kitchen. You can't outwork a bad diet.

----------

Larry used to be huge believer in Crossfit . He's moved on as have a lot of others. His stroke volume stuff comes from Joel Jamieson, S&C coach of Demetrius Johnson. (Just mentioning it since you said it interests you. You can get it straight from the source in Jamieson's book 8 Weeks Out.)

I don't think KBs come in 110s. You'll probably find it easier to find 106s. But by the time you reach that level, Jay, your body weight will probably be significantly less. A man doesn't start with bodyweight KBs, he ends there. If there's a desire to lift greater weights, well, that's what bars and plates are for.

Additionally, each of us have our personal natural limits, and it's probably not a good idea to push much beyond them. For example, I know a man who does sets of 90 lb "single" chins at a body weight of 187 but he started a decade-and-a-half ago at a bw of 245, struggling with negatives and no additional weight at all. Over time he built up to weighted chins, and now does them with half his (much reduced) body weight added.

Also, not every man is strong in every lift. That same man reached his natural limit on presses many years ago. He hit the wall with 53s. He pressed a 70 once or twice, but could not maintain it. For him, the 53 is his natural KB press ceiling.

I think our bodies have (individual) natural limits, and a reasonable fitness goal is to reach those limits on at least three lifts that together constitute a full body workout. Seneca, in his second letter to Lucilious, wrote that that a man must have what is "essential," but doesn't need more than "enough". I've found that floor ("essential") and ceiling ("enough) to describe the sweet spot in almost every activity. It interdigitates well with the Pareto Principle, too. If a man works up to the weights suggested in the earlier post before reaching his natural limits, he's strong enough and should probably move on right on to strength-endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I think the internet's kinda/sorta relatively new emphasis on Squat/Bench/Dead is misguided for tactical folks (as well as regular guys). I'll be specific. I don't agree with Rip's apparent philosophy of just trying to increase your Big Three at the expense of movement, health, speed, endurance, etc. (I do love deadlifts though.) If you are really weak, then yes, maybe a 20 rep squat program or Starting Strength is what you need for a while. But trying to be a 70s-style powerlifter didn't make me a better tactical athlete. Rant off.
    For the tactical athlete, I have been impressed with, and seen good results from, Rob Shaul's programming.

https://mtntactical.com/
    C Class shooter.

It’s been a few years but from what I remember, it gives an outline of the focus for each day and one or two examples of what that may include. I’ll try to check when I get home because I could be remembering wrong.

That’s why I like SOFlete though, they outline everything. Below are a few pics from their app showing the day’s workout overview. When you start it, it goes into detail about reps, sets, and prescribed weights, along with videos on how to conduct most of the exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped a lot of body fat by intermittent fasting and incorporating HIIT once or twice a week (cranks your BPMs so if your heart might be an issue, look elsewhere) with weight lifting. It was a fast weight drop and then slow gains until a slight work out change-up got me over the next plateau. I only eat trash food once or twice a week and my intake either hasn't changed or slightly increased. I can lift more, have better stamina, get better sleep, and my body proportions are more favorable. Truth be told, probably any activity would've been an improvement but intermittent fasting shed 30 lbs. right off the bat and I felt like I had more energy without changing anything else. I couldn't stick with any rigid diet so a little discipline and a balanced reward is the best I could manage permanently. Anyways, thanks for coming to my Tedtalk.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Anyways, thanks for coming to my Tedtalk.
    I think we both know that was more of a TedX than a Tedtalk.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I agree with BigD. Dan John is amazing. TNation.com is a good resource for this sort of material. I think you'd also like Lee Boyce on that same site. Some of Mr. Boyce's articles like "5 Realistic Tests of Strength" are insightful.

I'm on my own strength and fitness journey and am by *NO* means any sort of expert but, I agree perhaps Squat/Bench/Dead isn't necessarily perfect for tactically minded folks. I question which has more transfer to tactical/everyday life......being able to deadlift 650 lbs once or being able to squat 250 lbs for 4 sets of 10? 250 on your back doesn't sound like a whole lot, but being able to do it for 4 sets of 10 will damn sure make you sweat and get you strong in the process.

There's more than one way to get where you want to go. You just have to decide on a path...

User Tag List