Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Hypothetical

Open Carry Hypothetical

Hey guys, ive always been a concealed carry guy because of all the well known and discussed tactical and otherwise benefits, ive never been able to understand why anyone would open carry when they could get a ccw. My questions is if you didnt have that choice, if you had the choice between open carry or no carry, would you open carry? now im not talking about the usual activist wackos with a walmart nylon holster, im talking about a highly trained and skilled shooter, someone like us using a proper setup(safariland retention holster, duty belt etc...) would open carry be worse than no carry? i understand the tactical disadvantages that open carry comes with, but are those disadvantages greater than the disadvantage of not having your firearm? im interested in getting some highly informed individuals opinions on whether open carry would be worth it in that situation

My question would be this:

What disadvantages do you speak of? Faster draw time? Psychological deterrence?

I don't mean to bash you, but there is a stigma against Open Carry that doesn't really make sense. Yes, while you are far more prone to harassment from the local police, you are less likely to be victimized by crime, or, if the weapon is needed, your draw speed would be significantly improved.

Preferably? Concealed Carry any day of the week. However, compared to being an unarmed sheep? I'll Open Carry until the proverbial cows come home.
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaming Tree View Post
    you are less likely to be victimized by crime,
    In the words of wikipedia: "citation needed".

If I lived in a place where the open display of firearms was accepted and common, I'd open carry because I'm lazy and I have dressing around the gun. I don't, and since I don't believe that openly carrying a gun is a magic "no badguys" talisman, I'll continue to carry concealed.

Site Supporter
    Since we've recently discussed the advantages and disadvantages of open carry compared to concealed carry, please try to stay on the topic of whether open carry is a good idea when concealed carry is not an option.

No I wouldn't unless I had a good reason to. Even here in AK where open carry is probably more common than any other state, I still hate doing it. And on the handful of occations that I've done it (mostly when I'm fishing/backpacking), I wasn't oblivious to the fact that everyone within eye shot was staring at me. I feel much more comfortable being unarmed and unnoticed, then armed and the center of attention.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    In the words of wikipedia: "citation needed".

If I lived in a place where the open display of firearms was accepted and common, I'd open carry because I'm lazy and I have dressing around the gun. I don't, and since I don't believe that openly carrying a gun is a magic "no badguys" talisman, I'll continue to carry concealed.
    I never meant to imply that open carry was a magic cure-all for crime; however, strictly psychologically speaking, crime is designed to be fast and efficient. The risk/reward balance must be skewed substantially toward the reward for most of the crime that occurs today. There are very few criminals "for the sake of evil".

Openly presenting a firearm has the exact same effects as being a large, muscular male: deterrence. The more items you stack in the risk column, the higher the stakes become, and the less likely it is you will be victimized. Now, that doesn't make you immune: anything can happen. But, preparedness has benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    No I wouldn't unless I had a good reason to. Even here in AK where open carry is probably more common than any other state, I still hate doing it. And on the handful of occations that I've done it (mostly when I'm fishing/backpacking), I wasn't oblivious to the fact that everyone within eye shot was staring at me. I feel much more comfortable being unarmed and unnoticed, then armed and the center of attention.
    That's called the Spotlight Effect. There have been hundreds of studies showing that the perceived attention vs. the actual attention given was off by hundreds of percents. Now, have they tried it with a gun? Probably not. But, studies have shown it's nowhere near as bad as you think it is.
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

I live in a place with a near zero crime rate, and carry concealed most of the time.

Ironically, I almost never have time to change out of my range platform after long shoots before I rush back into town. The result? I usually open carry 4 topped off 15 round mags in full Limited gear through my first few outings after I get back and I definitely get some funny looks, (my last visit to Chipotle was particularly memorable, what with the business clogged by naive wide eyed suburbanites, largely in denial about the fact that I was carrying 5 rounds for every patron). If I had no choice, I would definitely carry this way all the time. I pay attention to my surroundings, I know how to retain my weapon, and my limited gear is my most comfortable shooting platform i.e. i'm not likely to make silly mistakes or fumble my reloads in a life or death situation. Frankly I enjoy the extra attention especially if it helps to keep people more aware of firearms in general and I have a personality that flourishes under scrutiny.

Do I prefer the tactical advantage and low profile associated with concealed carry? Yes.

Mainly because it allows me to be more choosy about when and how I draw my weapon. I don't ever want to live or die based on a quick draw and being the instant focus of a bad guy's attention upon entering a room is a bad way to achieve that ideal.

If I was disallowed from carrying concealed, but could carry openly, I would.

I spend the vast majority of my time disallowed from carrying at all, so any improvement to that situation would be wonderful.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Having a gun if you need it is always better than not having a gun if you need it.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    If I was disallowed from carrying concealed, but could carry openly, I would.
    ^This.

A lot would depend on the definition of "open", too. Years of observation suggest that very few people will really notice a 1911 against a dark shirt snugged in in a good IWB holster at about 3:15 or so.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List