Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 Training Pistol - anything really worthwhile?

.22 Training Pistol - anything really worthwhile?

I have a Smith M&P 22 full size. I even have a Blade-Tech holster for it. It has a set of real steel 3-dot sights from a 9mm M&P on it (yes, they required some fitting). It has a threaded barrel and is hella fun to shoot suppressed.

However, I just can't really get with it as a "training" gun. I'm not sure why it is. Maybe it's the too-easy trigger pull. Maybe it's the lack of recoil. I keep trying to talk myself into taking it to the range to save on 9mm ammo, but every time I've done it, even working draws and stuff I just feel like I'm cheating and wasting ammo and time, not really building any skill.

1. Am I just doing something wrong? IE, I need a practice change.
    2. Am I using the wrong gun? IE, I need an equipment change.
    3. Is there just no replacing the real thing and I'd be better off dryfiring in an indoor range (because that's the time and place I have available - lunch breaks at work and can't dryfire in the office)?

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    If you are at a shooting range, live fire with feedback > dry fire with no feedback.

Any trigger time is going to give you a chance to practice the fundamentals, even if there are minor differences between guns. I would bet you find that trigger time on the M&P transfers over to other guns.

I keep a SIRT pistol and a holster for it in my office (self-employed) fr practice there. It was the best training $ I have ever spent.

I am planning to spend some time shooting a .22 revolver this summer, even though I carry semiautos, to really work trigger squeeze. I also plan to look into at least 1 .22 conversion for a Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I've been kicking around getting a M&P 22 compact, a 43C, or a LCR in 22 for training use. However, im not sure how much I'd really use it or how much training value there really is, so I'm glad you started this thread

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have a Smith M&P 22 full size.
    Have the same gun, and some years ago, when I put an RMR on the 9mm version, I did the same to the .22 (although it necessitated going without a rear sight).

Yes, the trigger is certainly much lighter, butI've found it very useful for grooving the RMR presentation, and for helping correct any issues with the trigger press that can be masked by the centerfire's recoil.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I have a Smith M&P 22 full size. I even have a Blade-Tech holster for it. It has a set of real steel 3-dot sights from a 9mm M&P on it (yes, they required some fitting). It has a threaded barrel and is hella fun to shoot suppressed.

However, I just can't really get with it as a "training" gun. I'm not sure why it is. Maybe it's the too-easy trigger pull. Maybe it's the lack of recoil. I keep trying to talk myself into taking it to the range to save on 9mm ammo, but every time I've done it, even working draws and stuff I just feel like I'm cheating and wasting ammo and time, not really building any skill.

1. Am I just doing something wrong? IE, I need a practice change.
    2. Am I using the wrong gun? IE, I need an equipment change.
    3. Is there just no replacing the real thing and I'd be better off dryfiring in an indoor range (because that's the time and place I have available - lunch breaks at work and can't dryfire in the office)?

Thanks!
    Get a Beretta M9-22. Or a conversion kit for your pair of 92a1s.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you are at a shooting range, live fire with feedback > dry fire with no feedback.
    This. Plus it's a good way to stay in the game if you get hurt.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I asked a question similar (not exact), recently.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....with-a-striker

Because I shoot/own only DA/SA. The reason I picked up the .22 is still valid, but I think matching the style of gun to your carry, would gain the most advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Get a Beretta M9-22. Or a conversion kit for your pair of 92a1s.
    The M9-22 has a realistic trigger and is reliable. If I could do it over again I would have looked for a frame on gunbroker and got a conversion kit. Then I'd be able to practice reloads with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

My limited experience down this rabbit hole with 191qs and .22 trainers quite a few years ago was this...

I found that the .22 sessions were no better than dry fire, and wasted range time that could have been spent with center fire.

That may be unique to me, as my commodity has been time for a quite a few years, so range time for me was somewhat limited to a couple of days a week at best, and about an hour at most each session. What I found was, I was better off using that limited range time to shoot center fire rounds, regardless of the Ammo cost situation.

I also found that the non-existing recoil meant that the actual practice wasn’t much better than dry fire other than the fact that it cycled the slide for me to reset the trigger/hammer.

Bill Rogers believes that a .22 allows you to get practice in steering the sights with a perfect trigger press without recoil to mask imperfections. The .22 is an integral part of his Basic class, and he says he would make it a big part of his Advanced Class except the Advanced student ego is resistant to shooting a .22.

When Glock brings out a .22, hopefully the model 44, I think we will see a lot more .22 use in training.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List