Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting started in Optics on handguns

Great thread.

I知 interested in getting back to regular pistol games and the rise of the pistol optic market since I last participated regularly is interesting to me for the same reason as most others my age: deteriorating eyesight. I知 it personally interested in this for carry. I知 leaning towards a Glock 34 mos.

I wasn稚 aware of the vortex venom, so this thread has already taught me something.

This is a link to my venom thread, it's turning into a small journal for me

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Great thread.

I知 interested in getting back to regular pistol games and the rise of the pistol optic market since I last participated regularly is interesting to me for the same reason as most others my age: deteriorating eyesight. I知 it personally interested in this for carry. I知 leaning towards a Glock 34 mos.

I wasn稚 aware of the vortex venom, so this thread has already taught me something.

Hi Rob,
    I started asking questions and got a few answers in the Holsters, Accessories EDC topics and maybe it will help answer questions, maybe not: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ight-on-an-EDC

I am just starting out with the Vortex Venom and I am really enjoying it. Prior to getting it I would stay on the 10 yd lanes so I could see what looked like a target with my reading glasses so I could see my front sights. Well it wasn't that bad, but it felt like it. This is a game changer. Now on the 25 yd lane I can see and hit the target, which is something I could not do for a long time. Since I can now shoot at 25 yds and see what I am shooting at, I can now reload my brass with the idea of tuning my powder weights and my OAL for a more accurate round. I am also now trying different primers, powders and sorting my brass by manufacturer since I can now see when a specific formulation is good or bad at distance. The DOT is not only a game changer for my eyes but for my reloading also and now gives me more fun with my sport/hobby. No Going Back for me. The Venom is holding up very well and if I lose DOT, I have already hit target without it after an incident (can read in above link). This is a learning process for me and I am tuning my way of shooting because of it and again, I will never go back.

Just note: I have a backup with Iron Sights (my s&w shield 45). Unless I smash up the aluminum frame on my venom I can hit out to 25 yds just by putting the target in the center of the frame, already have. Vortex has lifetime warranty so not worried if it breaks. Trijicon was my first choice but vortex was half the price and price is a factor as long as the product is capable to do the job. Venom is extremely capable for me. Sights stay locked in no matter how much I shoot. your milage may vary but mine is where I want it.

Jim

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Great thread.

I liked the venom when I had one. Ended up selling it along with the G17 it was mounted to, but I noticed a substantial improvement in shooting performance with it on USPSA style stages.

For slowfire untimed shooting I couldn't really make smaller groups than I could with irons, but in terms of clearing a plate rack, hitting poppers and overall alpha counts on stages, the RDS has some huge advantages.

That said. I dropped my G17/Venom once during dry fire and it completely destroyed the sight. To their credit, vortex replaced it free of charge and extremely quickly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I need some opinions, I can get a Leupold Delta Point Pro new in box for 250. As this will be a game type pistol, what say the people who are smarter on this topic than me?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I liked the venom when I had one. Ended up selling it along with the G17 it was mounted to, but I noticed a substantial improvement in shooting performance with it on USPSA style stages.

For slowfire untimed shooting I couldn't really make smaller groups than I could with irons, but in terms of clearing a plate rack, hitting poppers and overall alpha counts on stages, the RDS has some huge advantages.

That said. I dropped my G17/Venom once during dry fire and it completely destroyed the sight. To their credit, vortex replaced it free of charge and extremely quickly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Yep, notice some nice improvements on everything myself with the dot. It will really tell you if you have the gun up + ready to fire when coming into position too.

Within the first 2 weeks of practicing with my venom, I was working pretty hard/aggressive on movement in dry fire and slipped and busted my ass and dropped my gun (thank goodness in practice and not a match). But I did watch the top and bottom of the optic hit the concrete floor. Had two little dings on the housing but was pretty unaffected otherwise - guess I might have gotten lucky. Held zero as well. Just shot my first match with it last night. I'm digging it for my budget friendly intro into red dots. Do have a type 2 rmr in route though.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

User Tag List