Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting started in Optics on handguns

Between my youtube channel (Modern Samurai Project) and Cowan's (Sage Dynamics), you will be neck deep in rds pistol info. Best of luck on your journey.

As far as drills give my standards a whirl. The different levels are here: http://www.modernsamuraiproject.com/...standards.html
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

As far as holsters are concerned, I'd recommend Dale Fricke Holsters. He makes kydex holsters to fit any gun/dot combination you might choose and his work is first rate.
    Real guns have hammers.

Thanks for all the replies,

I have my gear narrowed down to
    Holster OWB-JMCK for CC- IDPA-Comptac
    back up sights- I like Dawson
    Optic- Trijicon RMR 06
    Then next step take a dedicated Red Dot sight class

Now to start saving $ for these items. I will pick up a cpl at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Thanks for all the replies,

I have my gear narrowed down to
    Holster OWB-JMCK for CC- IDPA-Comptac
    back up sights- I like Dawson
    Optic- Trijicon RMR 06
    Then next step take a dedicated Red Dot sight class

Now to start saving $ for these items. I will pick up a cpl at a time.
    Hi Steve,
    you can't go wrong with the Trijicon RMR. Like UberVic, I have opted for the Vortex Venom but mine is the 6MOA instead of the 3 MOA and I am very satisfied. My holster is a Crossbreed IWB made for the Red Dot and it is comfortable and protects well while I carry. Lots of Dry practice and a few hundred rounds (actually about 300 rounds) and I can present and acquire the dot each time just as fast as my iron sights. Biggest bang is that I can acquire and shoot subsequent shots at least 2x faster with my venom and I can see clearly now with my aging eyes. The Venom also has rear sight marks on the back that I can line up if necessary. I have found that I don't bang my gun around in the current config when I am wearing it.

Jim

Here is my current setup:

Name:  IMG_0131.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  55.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_0132.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  51.4 KB

Thanks to all for the info.
    Lots of great advice and info.
    Saving my $ for optic purchase.

So what do you currently carry Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Thanks to all for the info.
    Lots of great advice and info.
    Saving my $ for optic purchase.
    Hi again Steve,
    I forgot to ask: What is your EDC that you will be putting the Dot on? It's possible that there are people in this pistol forum that will tell you not to go with a Red Dot. Don't worry as long as you get an adapter plate mount instead of getting your gun milled. That way you can pull it off if you find that you really prefer the Iron sights. Once you go Dot, I doubt you will give it up once you are consistent with presenting with the Dot centered each time. It doesn't take long.

Things to think about:

1. Mounting plate vs Milling
    2. Holster meant for a Red Dot
    3. Cost of mounting the plate or milling and installing the DOT. I had my armorer do mine since the mounts are usually very very tight. I heard my armorer cursing about how hard the aluminum was that he was trying to file down to get a good fit. I had a tough time finding a mounting plate for my Novak Dove Tail sight cut that fit my Vortex Venom. Only found one company and I talked to them at length and I am not upset at all. My mount is expensive $50 but it's more than worth it along with being installed by a professional (plus the armorer's mounting fee of $35 to mount it).
    4. Time it takes to get use to shooting such as open both eyes, move gun, arm, torso as one. Take the time to practice presenting over and over again.
    5. Batteries - self explanatory
    6. You can practice a lot without shooting but you need to locktite the screws so the Dot doesn't come loose when you shoot.
    7. At first check your sighting using a bench rest and readjust as necessary and how to zero your Dot. Check over and over that you don't lose zero.

Jim

Site Supporter
    There is a lot of advice out there when it comes to RDS mounted guns but I strongly suggest for a carry or duty gun, you consider the source.

AsianJedi up there makes a living teaching guys how to run a dot to a very high level of shooting proficiency and he's probably seen hundreds of different brands of guns, holsters, and sights in his classes. I'd listen carefully to much of what he has to say in his videos. You don't see all that stuff without getting a solid understanding of what is durable, what is accurate, what is fast and what truly doesn't matter.

I've found it is best to shortcut the learning curve, take an experts advice, and then make my own opinions when I have more experience.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Same here... I was able to get a Walther Q5 Match recently (definitely a challenge for those living in Kaliforniastan) and decided to go "Carry Optics."

In regards to red dots - my choices were either a Trijicon RMR Type 2 or a Leupold Deltapoint Pro. Even though the RMR had the smaller form factor, I went with the latter simply because

1. More natural color to the lens, ie., unlike the tintish hue of the RMR
    2. Bigger/wider field of view
    3. Battery compartment is on top, no need to unmount the optic and re-zero.
    4. Leupold Lifetime Warranty
    5. Got it for only $325, all inclusive.

Although I took it to an indoor square range to zero it for 25-yards, never did dry practice any draws or reloads before running it through a recent Classifier Match. In spite of what people say, I didn't find any problem transitioning to a red dot. even if there were no suppressor sights. Yes, there was a bit of a lag time; but I attribute that more to a difference in form factor to my primary pistol, ie., grip angle, grip size, magazine size, gear (holster/belt/mag pouches), etc.

Oh, yes, I opted for the 2.5MOA instead of the 7.5MOA. I find it gives a good balance of speed, accuracy, and longer range precision. I wasn't disappointed during the classifiers.

Amazingly I scored an average of 55.4954% earning me a "C" in this division (USPSA). I am definitely going to be loving Carry Optics...

As for gear, I go with Safariland's ELS/QLS system. Unfortunately, they didn't have any for the Q5, and had to go to the traditional IDPA-style, ie., regular belt, closer to the body, etc. with Comp-Tac.

Cheers,

_
    Last edited by rodralig; 04-27-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    Between my youtube channel (Modern Samurai Project) and Cowan's (Sage Dynamics), you will be neck deep in rds pistol info. Best of luck on your journey.

As far as drills give my standards a whirl. The different levels are here: http://www.modernsamuraiproject.com/...standards.html
    Didn't know about your channel. Checkin' it right now... So far, awesome content. Subscribed!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    ...my choices were either a Trijicon RMR Type 2 or a Leupold Deltapoint Pro. Even though the RMR had the smaller form factor, I went with the latter simply because

1. ...
    2. ...
    3. ...
    4. Leupold Lifetime Warranty
    5. ...

_
    Need to delete that off of your list.

Leupold Gold Ring Electronics Limited
    Two-Year Warranty
    This warranty covers any defects in materials and workmanship in the electronic components
    of illuminated riflescopes/sights, flashlights, flashlight components, RX Rangefinders, GX
    Rangefinders, Pin Caddie Rangefinder, RCX Cameras and Vendetta Archery Rangefinder. This
    warranty lasts for two years from the date of purchase. If, during that two-year period, these
    products are found to have defects in materials or workmanship, Leupold will repair, or if repair is
    not possible, replace the product, free of charge
    I have multiples of Vortex sights because of their real lifetime warranty. Haven't had to use it yet.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

User Tag List