Thread: Adding traction to wood stocks?

Site Supporter

Adding traction to wood stocks?

Does anyone here have any experience with traction additives on firearms finishes?

For the last year or so, I've been dealing with the arthritis and hand pain/grip strength issues. This has led me to an increased focus on finding stocks that fit well, with sufficient friction so I'm not so dependent on brute force grip strength. My plastic guns now have more stippling and grip tape, and also changed out several of my revolver stocks. Pachmayr grippers work, but I also appreciate the appearance and customizability of wood stocks.

For example, the Model 64 below has a set of Altamonts that I reshaped somewhat to better fit the gun and my hand. I like them, but would still like to gain some additional traction, especially in the section adjacent to the backstrap. Stippling is one option I'm considering. Another would be to extend the checkering rearward, and perhaps texture the backstrap itself. Another thought I had is to mix a traction additive into the finish, so as to get a grippier finish in certain places. Mixing sand into polyurethane seems like it might do the trick. I've also noted that home improvement stores sell traction compounds intended for floor coatings, but I don't know if those are suitable for concealed carry firearms, or if they will snag/tear clothing.

Name:  IMG_0884.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  43.2 KB

I'm planning to cut them a little more increase the speedloader clearance, so may be refinishing them anyway. It'd be easy enough to experiment with additives, and polyurethane is easy to strip back off if it doesn't work, so I'm leaning towards that route.

thoughts?

A simple, inexpensive approach might be to cut a piece of mountain bike innertube to size, and fit that over the grips you like the best as a sort of grip sleeve. I've found that to be very effective with certain Glocks, and it's won't inordinately bulk up your grip.

If you want to remain with unspoiled wood grips, you might want to check out Nill grips from Germany. Expensive, but exquisite- operationally, aesthetically, and ergonomically.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-09-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Try using skate board tape or adhesive stair tread tape. I prefer the skate board tape. I have never used it on a revolver but I have used skate board tape on the front strap of my duty 1911 for over 15 years. I would swap out the tape every time I cleaned the gun. I used a scissors to cut it to shape. I cut it to the match the frame and put the grips on over the tape edges

I used some camo cloth tape wrap on a Kimber K6 to add girth and ease the sharpness of recoil on a pair of Altamont grips. The tape is cotton so it is easy to grasp and doesn't abrade the hand when shooting.

The Spegel-designed Uncle Mike’s they used to use at the factory work well for me.

You can find them on EBay.

User Tag List