Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private Citizen Body-Worn Cameras?

Private Citizen Body-Worn Cameras?

I am being drawn into a family dispute, and am feeling it necessary to have video evidence, in case violence occurs. (My intention is to remain a passive observer/witness/deterrent, but, well, things can happen.) The “body cam” I wore, while an LEO, is not marketed to private individuals. Other than the obvious, and somewhat bulky Go Pro-ish devices, are there any recommendations, please?

The star ratings I see on Amazon, for body cams, are not encouraging.

This is not a case of just-leave-it-to-LE. I cannot just stay away. For privacy reasons, I do not want to elaborate further.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

What about digital audio? Either with a recording app on a smart phone or pocket audio recorder?

I've seen some "button cams" that work well, but I also don't know your budget or "need" for this after the issues are resolved...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My first thought was how discrete would this be? While it's easy to over look a bulge under clothing, I would think any body worn camera would be immediately observed. Next thought was the use of your cell phone in a belt mount. It may not be always on, but would certainly not be out of place. My phone for example requires 2 taps on side button, and one tap on the screen to begin recording. It can then be placed back into a shirt pocket or belt mounted. May not be the best option, but thought I would mention it.
    Taking a break from social media.

Thanks for the responses. Concealment would not be necessary. I would like to get decent video, in addition to audio. I will probably default to Go Pro, due to the ruggedness factor, unless an better mousetrap becomes apparent.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    My first thought was how discrete would this be? While it's easy to over look a bulge under clothing, I would think any body worn camera would be immediately observed. Next thought was the use of your cell phone in a belt mount. It may not be always on, but would certainly not be out of place. My phone for example requires 2 taps on side button, and one tap on the screen to begin recording. It can then be placed back into a shirt pocket or belt mounted. May not be the best option, but thought I would mention it.
    That's what I was thinking for a one-time event, particularly if it's a short event and not an entire patrol shift length event.

Wear a cell phone belt clip front and center, put it in a breastpocket, etc.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Before body cameras were getting really good quality these things were prevalent in my area. The audio and video on the little lipstick sized cameras are decent, but jumpy when things get moving. The slightly larger one is far better and somewhat ruggedized. A guy in my office wore one and liked it. The prices aren’t in US dollars, but you can find these on Amazon for well under a hundred dollars.
    http://www.veho-muvi.com/muvi/

ETA
    I would avoid using the cell phone. If something winds up in court your phone could wind up sitting in a forensic lab/evidence area for quite awhile.
    Last edited by KPD; 04-08-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    What about digital audio? Either with a recording app on a smart phone or pocket audio recorder?
    Check your state laws. Several states consider it a felony to record audio of non-consensual parties.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 04-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.

https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PPBCM16

I have this one. it gives damn good video. It's on ebay for $150.

eta:

http://manybrightdots.com/twg/pictur...71042_0002.mp4

video from when I was testing it out as a dash cam.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 04-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    http://spyguy.com

This place may have what you need.

Rex, can you turn the other cheek? I doubt it most seriously. Please don't let a loser bait you.

User Tag List