Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    E.T.A.: To be clear, I am not advocating that anyone select a SA sixgun as a primary defensive weapon.
    The take away that I got from the article was not an endorsement of SA sixguns for defense, per se, but rather that they weren't nearly as limiting or obsolete as conventional wisdom suggests.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Walking the dogs tonight just reinforced the challenges the single action presents as a defensive arm. As I mentioned in my other post you better get darn good with one hand because even if you drop the leash you still need a free hand for the flashlight. The SAA does point very well (for some folks) so you may get away with target focus but I’m not sure I’d want that to be any only option.
    I used a SA and light once at night. My enemy was a wounded and unhappy hog. After that unhappy occasion I thought a G20/21 with WML would be a much better choice. That said, I often carry a Super Seven in .327 when out in the woods during the day.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The take away that I got from the article was not an endorsement of SA sixguns for defense, per se, but rather that they weren't nearly as limiting or obsolete as conventional wisdom suggests.
    That's pretty much what I got out of it as well..While a SA revlover would'nt be mine, or just about anybody on this board's first choice, the article does prove that even today, SA revlovers are still quite capable, and could work if that was all you had, or allowed to use via State/Federal gov't... Still, they appear to me looking like seriously fun guns..I only have 2, both .22cal SA pistols, a Ruger Super Single Six, with the .22mag cylinder I had my dad buy it for me in 1972, The other a Colt New Frontier, flattop with .22 mag cylinder, I bought last year..But I'm wanting a center fire SA pistol..guess I better start saving my coins..

Great. Now I have to price a Vaquero. What caliber do I “need”?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

For me, when I decided to learn more about single action revolvers, I went whole hog and went with 45 Colt.

Which, after pricing ammo, shortly thereafter led me to entering the world of handloading.

That is not to say that I think Larry Mudgett's tests with 357 mag is anything less than very very cool. From what I've read, that gentleman has forgotten more about single action revolvers than I will ever know.
    Ordinary guy

I've killed more varmints with my .45 blackhawk at night than all other guns combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Great. Now I have to price a Vaquero. What caliber do I “need”?
    I’m a huge fan of the ACP in Vaqs. They eject cleanly, and you can use old 1911 mags as speedloaders.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m a huge fan of the ACP in Vaqs. They eject cleanly, and you can use old 1911 mags as speedloaders.
    The 4 5/8 in 357 with a 9mm cylinder would be a damn fine everything SA.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Hard pass. Another version of the empty chamber carry problem where a manipulation is needed to employ the weapon that may be problematic if you're entangled. Add in the need to decock manually, probably on a loaded chamber, if the situation changes and perhaps under the after-action adrenaline shakes.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've killed more varmints with my .45 blackhawk at night than all other guns combined.
    I don’t doubt it. My point wasn’t that it couldn’t be done but that it would all (cocking and firing) be done one handed as the other hand will be manipulating the light. For hunting I suppose you might be using NVGs or a head mounted light but defensively I can’t imagine you would have anything but a handheld.

What light source did you use and what percentage of your single action revolver practice time is one handed?

User Tag List