Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

Site Supporter
    Walking the dogs tonight just reinforced the challenges the single action presents as a defensive arm. As I mentioned in my other post you better get darn good with one hand because even if you drop the leash you still need a free hand for the flashlight. The SAA does point very well (for some folks) so you may get away with target focus but I’m not sure I’d want that to be any only option.

It’s funny because I’m in the same camp as @Malamute in that I would happily trade away my bottom feeders to own a proper engraved Colt SAA or New Frontier (something like the beautiful revolvers on display in the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame) but it would be like picking a Street Rod for a daily driver. I’d have tons of pride in ownership and it would perform great under certain circumstances but most of the time it would definitely not be the best (or even a sensible) choice for the job.

Hammertime
    Will the SA revolver become the new PF hotness? Remains to be seen

I havent read the linked article yet.

I started shooting SA revolvers before anything else, and have shot and carried them a fair bit over time. It probably doesnt make sense to consider an SA revolver on its technical merits, though the ability to shoot one well, and with, to me, much less effort to achieve good results than other types, particularly any autos Ive used, has kept me using them.

Im probably not mainstream in the reasons I carry for most of my uses, I consider shootability, usefulness for outdoors situations much higher overall than most. Accuracy is high on the list for a field gun for me when you shoot small game with them, or longer distances. For a given centerfire caliber, like 357 and up, the SAs have been much easier on the hands, and much easier to shoot well in general, though Smith DAs have a lot going for them. I like the 4" 29s and 24s quite a lot.

I cant suggest anyone else carry an SA for defensive purposes, but I dont feel too bad having one close by.

ETA: Thinking back to the passion of the gun thread of several years ago, I dont know how much of a factor it is in shooting them well, but I really like SA revolvers. Like shooting them, handling them, looking at them, working on them, their history, and think they are truly fun to shoot and work with. Autos, not so much. More like a chore to me, like something you should do, even if you dont really want to. I get re-inspired now and then to shoot autos, but it never lasts very long. I always enjoy SA revolvers.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-08-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I know lately I've been eyeing a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl in .45acp..I'm thinking this would be a seriously fun gun to shoot, ( I already load .45acp, so ammo's not a problem) and with some +p JHP's could do well as a HD pistol, I'm not sure I'd carry it. However, I could see how it would work in a pinch..
    Can’t vouch for the stainless version, but the exact same gun in blued steel is an absolute blast to shoot. Just saying.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Will the SA revolver become the new PF hotness? Remains to be seen

Oh that would be somethin'!!! I have very little time on SA revos and would like to get handy with one. It's not the shooting part, the BH .45 I owned was easy to shoot accurately freestyle. The handling, cocking, firing "duelist" mode turned out to be pretty challenging for me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Served Marshal Matt Dillon well for 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh that would be somethin'!!! I have very little time on SA revos and would like to get handy with one. It's not the shooting part, the BH .45 I owned was easy to shoot accurately freestyle. The handling, cocking, firing "duelist" mode turned out to be pretty challenging for me.
    100% agree. If one thinks about it, when shooting a pistol or double action revolver, just aim and pull the trigger. I shoot the SA revolver for fun. For me, I would have to relearn too much to use the SA for self-defense.

Hammertime

Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

SA Revolvers give one the time to think just a little more before applying deadly force, likely saving lives. When a criminal hears that hammer click back, they know you mean business, but I wouldn’t count on a psychological stop.

Cocking with each shot allows one to shoot at evaluation speed and be accountable for every shot.

You do have to remember to cock before shooting and decock before holstering, but the trade off is probably worth it due to the amazing shootability of the SA trigger.

Administrative handling and AIWB carry are much safer due to the lack of need to pull the trigger for cleaning or disassembly. Just be sure to have the hammer down on an empty chamber on the older models.

The shape of the pistols with the long barrel and rounded grip really help concealment AIWB.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 04-09-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    SA Revolvers give one the time to think just a little more before applying deadly force, likely saving lives. When a criminal hears that hammer click back, they know you mean business, but I wouldn’t count on a psychological stop.

Cocking with each shot allows one to shoot at evaluation speed and be accountable for every shot.
    Oh, my! I don't even know where to start.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    100% agree. If one thinks about it, when shooting a pistol or double action revolver, just aim and pull the trigger. I shoot the SA revolver for fun. For me, I would have to relearn too much to use the SA for self-defense.
    Auto-loader, DA revolver, SA revolver, bow/arrow, or atlatl/spear, or even a steaming cup of hot coffee, the vital principles of using projectile weapons, for defense, remain largely the same.

Some of Platt and Mattix’ victims were attacked while out plinking along the Tamiami Trail. Some habituated bears, anticipating a free lunch, have run to the sound of gunfire. The “balloon could go up” while we are shooting our fun guns.

Please, do not see my tone as argumentative.

E.T.A.: To be clear, I am not advocating that anyone select a SA sixgun as a primary defensive weapon.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-09-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Why do I think the movie "The Highwaymen" is the reason behind this thread? Going to have to get me a Ruger Vaquero in blue myself.

User Tag List