Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

I have to admit I was not super fond of the original style sights on my Italian SAA .357.
    I'd probably go with a Blackhawk, and put a bird's head grip on it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    My recent purchase of a Ruger Bisley 45 long Colt / .45acp 5.5" barrel stainless steel was a direct result of watching too many "Gunsmoke" reruns late at night. It just threw a craving on me that I couldn't overcome.
    Cimarron's Man With No Name revolver is seriously tempting me.

Or any number of Ruger singles.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Cimarron's Man With No Name revolver is seriously tempting me.

Or any number of Ruger singles.
    I bought my dad the similar 1851 Richards-Mason Navy Conversion revolver and it is pretty neat for what it is. I wouldn't shot anything near +P in it though and the sights are an afterthought, worse than the standard SAA fixed sights to me.

If you want to shoot a variety of ammo, possibly hunt with it, shoot longer distances, or run it hard and fast I would look at a Ruger.
    Last edited by sharps54; 04-14-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Fat fingers

My .45 Convertible.

Originally was polished. Unless you keep up on it, the polished guns look like ass in short order. Had it bead blasted... and very happy with the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I bought my dad the similar 1851 Richards-Mason Navy Conversion revolver and it is pretty neat for what it is. I wouldn't shot anything near +P in it though and the sights are an afterthought, worse than the standard SAA fixed sights to me.

If you want to shoot a variety of ammo, possibly hunt with it, shoot longer distances, or run it hard and fast I would look at a Ruger.
    It would just be a plinker for fun. For an SAA clone Ruger 100% without a doubt. The Ruger Vaquero/Blackhawk are the Glock 19 of single actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Casehardening

I remember 40 years or more when I would go in my LGS and browse the revolvers. If I found a particular model I liked, I would ask if there were others of this model in the back room. If they were, I would kindly ask to see them just to see which one has the prettiest colors in the casehardening.....and that's the one I would purchase. Ahh, those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder how they would fare in the quest for a good Old Man's Gun.
    I would feel quite comfortable with an SA 44 spl or 45 as a geezer gun, more so than a J frame or 32 as far as effectiveness and ease of shooting, though a K frame with mild wadcutter loads or 38 Short Colt loads would possibly be a bit better than some smaller calibers if ones hands were problematic shooting anything more powerful in DAs.

I mentioned it before, for a given caliber, the SAs have been the easiest on my hands. I tore a ligament in my right thumb in about 1990 shooting one of Mr Linebaughs 500 maximum revolvers. It was a couple years before i could shoot even a 22 right handed, a couple more before I could shoot anything centerfire,and more years before I could shoot heavy loads in centerfire, but I could shoot a 44 or 45 Colt SA about at the same time as a 38 in a Smith K frame. Besides the one handed left handed practice that situation afforded, it helped me appreciate how easy the SA revolvers are to shoot, at least for me.

I have much more confidence in my ability to hit things in sub-optimal conditions with a revolver than any auto Ive used. I'm not advocating SA revolver use for anyone, but my own use indicates I consistently shoot them much better than any automatic pistols. I dont feel poorly armed with one.

FWIW, I prefer the original SA grip contour, I believe in one handed shooting, it gives an index point for the heel of the hand hwen cocking, the birdshead or roundes butt SA grips dont. there just feels like theres a lot missing when I handle them. The Bisley grips havent ever felt comfortable either, for whatever reason. Ive owned a number of them, but never kept any long.

User Tag List