Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

Larry Mudgett tests the Ruger Vaquero in a self-defense role

SNIP I do not suggest that a “Steel Challenge” champion could do better if he traded his custom semi-automatic pistol for a single action revolver. Our informal competition only disclosed that I was slightly faster with the single action revolver than my fellow instructors were with their semi-automatic pistols on that occasion. I was however inspired to conduct some tests to compare single action revolvers against handguns which are morecommonly carried for self-defense.

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/single-action-revolvers-for-self-defense-2/

Interesting read; thanks for posting the link.

During the late Nineties, into this century, I dabbled a bit with single-action revolvers, and quickly realized that they could be serious weapons. As Larry Mudgett discovered, I learned that an S.A. sixgun will beat the overall performance of a J-Snub, by a considerable margin.

I did not make it a practice to carry S.A. sixguns, for defense, at the time, because I was required, by PD rules, to be armed only with weapons with which I had fired a qual, within the past twelve months. (There was an exception for sporting weapons, but worded so that it was clearly not OK to intentionally circumvent/game the rules.)

Having said that, one time when I very nearly went for my gun, in a public place, it was an AIWB’ed USFA Single Action, when my duty P229 and my Ruger SP101 revolvers were at home, having been taken-down and largely covered with cleaning solution. A car, occupied 2x, circled us, in the steakhouse parking lot. My colleague was carrying his single-stack off-the-clock pistol, or his duty P229, so we were both armed. I did not feel outgunned, and remembered feeling supreme confidence; that we were more of a danger to them, than they to us. The two “utes” changed their expressions from predatory to falsely congenial, what might today be termed “haha LOL,” so I was, thankfully, not compelled to take further action with an unauthorized weapon.

Recently, in retirement, I have started to dabble with single action sixguns, again. I still have most of those I acquired in the past, and have added a couple more. Life is good.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-08-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I can understand carrying a revolver in the field for its ability to deliver more powerful rounds (ie 357, 41, 44, 45). Why not just carry a DA revolver especially when a defensive role is needed. Sure as easier to reload. I have a Vaquero 44 Mag and a Redhawk 44 Mag, and the Redhawk is faster reload. For some reason the Vaquero is softer to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Interesting read; thanks for posting the link.

During the late Nineties, into this century, I dabbled a bit with single-action revolvers, and quickly realized that they could be serious weapons. As Larry Mudgett discovered, I learned that an S.A. sixgun will beat the overall performance of a J-Snub, by a considerable margin.

I did not make it a practice to carry S.A. sixguns, for defense, at the time, because I was required, by PD rules, to be armed only with weapons with which I had fired a qual, within the past twelve months. (There was an exception for sporting weapons, but worded so that it was clearly not OK to intentionally circumvent/game the rules.)

Having said that, one time when I very nearly went for my gun, in a public place, it was an AIWB’ed USFA Single Action, when my duty P229 and my Ruger SP101 revolvers were at home, having been taken-down and largely covered with cleaning solution. A car, occupied 2x, circled us, in the steakhouse parking lot. My colleague was carrying his single-stack off-the-clock pistol, or his duty P229, so we were both armed. I did not feel outgunned, and remembered feeling supreme confidence; that we were more of a danger to them, than they to us. The two “utes” changed their expressions from predatory to falsely congenial, what might today be termed “haha LOL,” so I was, thankfully, not compelled to take further action with an unauthorized weapon.

Recently, in retirement, I have started to dabble with single action sixguns, again. I still have most of those I acquired in the past, and have added a couple more. Life is good.
    I know lately I've been eyeing a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl in .45acp..I'm thinking this would be a seriously fun gun to shoot, ( I already load .45acp, so ammo's not a problem) and with some +p JHP's could do well as a HD pistol, I'm not sure I'd carry it. However, I could see how it would work in a pinch..
    Last edited by ralph; 04-08-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I know lately I've been eyeing a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl in .45acp..I'm thinking this would be a seriously fun gun to shoot, ( I already load .45acp, so ammo's not a problem) and with some +p JHP's could do well as a HD pistol, I'm not sure I'd carry it. However, I could see how it would work in a pinch..
    I have one of these, and I love it for woods carry. I think it’s a 5152.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I recently used my Ruger Blackhawk .357 in an IDPA match, with full-house Sellier & Bellot 158 gr cartridges. The match was back-up gun optimized, with loads and reloads limited to 6 rounds, so I figured it could be a superb opportunity to add some semi-realistic stress to using the Blackhawk, which I use for deer hunting and as a hunting/hiking backup. Reloads were accomplished with using a .357 magnum Desert Eagle magazine with a cut-down spring as a Pez-like cartridge dispenser.

My Blackhawk has been the beneficiary of a superb action job and overall renovation by Ruger, and also has a white-outline rear sight, and the front sight's rear face has been painted white, which greatly speeds up acquisition and accuracy.

I had a blast. I was slow (due to reload speed, even with the magazine assist)-I finished dead last, but my accuracy was excellent-only 16 points down for the entire match as I recall. It definitely gave me a sense of renewed confidence in the viability of the Blackhawk.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-08-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    I can see the allure but don’t think it is worth the trade offs unless you are into CAS and only own single actions (probably not anyone here) or just find you shoot a SAA SUBSTANTIALLY better than any other handgun. The 5 to 6 round limitation, reload speed, and need to cock the hammer each time really are huge negatives. I can’t see packing two SAAs like he did on the qual. It would be hard enough for a civilian to justify carrying a backup gun these day much less a matched pair of SAAs, talk about a gift to the prosecutor!

I’d be interested in seeing a modern DA revolver the size of a SAA included in the article’s test. It is easy enough to say a SAA is easier to shoot than a J frame, how about a 3 or 4 inch K frame or a modern King Cobra?

All that said if I did end up with a single action for a CCW I wouldn’t feel unarmed (heck I used to shoot frontiersman in CAS) but I would spend a lot more time one handed shooting, both strong and weak hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I can understand carrying a revolver in the field for its ability to deliver more powerful rounds (ie 357, 41, 44, 45). Why not just carry a DA revolver especially when a defensive role is needed. Sure as easier to reload. I have a Vaquero 44 Mag and a Redhawk 44 Mag, and the Redhawk is faster reload. For some reason the Vaquero is softer to shoot.
    A couple of years ago, I carried a .44 SBH in Alaska for bear defense. I considered a DA Ruger Alaskan, but the trigger reach is quite long for my hands, and I like the solid simplicity of the SBH. To train up for that trip, I shot the Gabe White drills, and was quite pleased with the results. However, after some work, I came to the conclusion that reloads were a non-starter. I would rather carry a "backup gun", which for me would be my standard CCW G43 or CZ P-07.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's a full set of GW Drills with the SBH Bisley .44.

Gun: Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley 3.75" .44 mag, High Viz FO sights.
    Holster: Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake
    Ammo: Full power 240gr reloads
    Concealment: IDPA type vest
    Notes: As before, I did not have much difficulty beating the Light time for 2H. Given the main use (grizzly defense), limited capacity, and glacial speed of reloading, I think this is by far the most important drill--so that's encouraging. It's been years since I've shot IDPA, and the concealment garment felt unfamiliar. I don't think I netted any time on the draws from concealment. On the very first run I pushed it too fast on the draw, and ended up cocking the gun before it fully cleared the holster. My finger wasn't in the trigger guard, but I did not like this one bit. I backed off a bit on the draw speed, focused on a good master grip, and only cocked the gun when it was pointed downrange for the rest of the session. There is plenty of time to thumb back the hammer during the final part of the presentation.

(Total time after penalties and concealment in parentheses)
    F2S
    3.67 (3.42)
    3.55 +.25 (3.55)
    3.03 (1.69, .68,.67) (2.78) Dark

2H
    2.74 (2.49) Light
    2.75 (2.50) Light
    2.83 (2.58) Dark

4B2H
    6.06 +1.5 (7.31)
    7.33 +.5 (7.58)

Bill
    5.43 +.25 (5.43)
    5.44 (5.19)

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Back in my .44 magnum for field use days, before the intro of the Scandium 239, I had a trick four inch Bowen stainless Blackhawk built. I shot it exceptionally well, and much preferred it to a 629. However after a week long Gunsite Backcountry class (their predator defense class), I realized that a Smith DA revolver was far superior in a field defensive scenario.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Autoloading pistols make wonderful “reloads,” for those of us who like revolvers, whether SA or DA.

I seem to remember Elmer Keith writing something like this, in a previous century. IIRC, he was referring to the S&W Model 39 and/or 59.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-08-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List