Thread: Shotgun Drills?

Site Supporter

Shotgun Drills?

Yeah, I know that this is PISTOL-forum.com.

I want to blow the dust off my 590A1 once the range dries out enough to not need hip waders. The most likely use for the shotgun would be home defense at ranges less than ten meters. I've settled on eight-pellet Federal FC ammo so I don't see a need to do ammo-swap drills but plan to work reloading from the side saddle.

I've got IDPA, B8(C), B6(C) and KRT-2 (KR Training proprietary targets) available. I have one portable target stand which I can use in conjunction with the range's fixed stands if I'm alone on the range.

A secondary goal is to blow through the remaining ~50 rounds of Estate, R-P and Ranger low-recoil 00 that's been taking up space, so a high-round-count session would be okay. Follow-on sessions would need to be more sparing of ammo since I'll be using the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yeah, I know that this is PISTOL-forum.com.

I want to blow the dust off my 590A1 once the range dries out enough to not need hip waders. The most likely use for the shotgun would be home defense at ranges less than ten meters. I've settled on eight-pellet Federal FC ammo so I don't see a need to do ammo-swap drills but plan to work reloading from the side saddle.

I've got IDPA, B8(C), B6(C) and KRT-2 (KR Training proprietary targets) available. I have one portable target stand which I can use in conjunction with the range's fixed stands if I'm alone on the range.

A secondary goal is to blow through the remaining ~50 rounds of Estate, R-P and Ranger low-recoil 00 that's been taking up space, so a high-round-count session would be okay. Follow-on sessions would need to be more sparing of ammo since I'll be using the good stuff.
    You can adapt almost any drill and use a shotgun. I say almost because you're not going to get much out of Frank Garcia's dot drills on this one. But if the target is a USPSA/IDPA target. I prefer to use steel with a shotgun because paper cardboard can get obliterated fast.

I think shotguns are fairly easy to shoot and difficult to reload so that is something to consider.

I also think there is value in practicing working the action in recoil.

FWIW I do a lot of my shotgun training on the straight up clay pigeon booths. I don't even know what game it's called but I know a lot of 3 gunners were doing the same thing my club had to clarify the way we were shooting was authorized.

Use a timer to see how fast you can accuratley get hits on cardbaord at 15 yards from a low ready. That is good stuff too.

Anything with an accuracy and time standard is good. You can make up your own.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 04-08-2019 at 04:08 PM.
    A71593

You could do a 1R1 with one in the chamber, empty tube, full side saddle. From ready fire 1 round, port reload, 1 round. You could start with a 3 second par and work from there. This would be easy to dry fire at home as well.

No matter which drills you choose to shoot, be sure to work on your loading skills. If you have onboard ammo it's an excellent opportunity to practice the Shoot One-Load One, Shoot Two-Load Two philosophy.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    No matter which drills you choose to shoot, be sure to work on your loading skills. If you have onboard ammo it's an excellent opportunity to practice the Shoot One-Load One, Shoot Two-Load Two philosophy.
    Make sure not to shoot 5, load 6. Embarrassing enough but even more so when it's being recorded

I've been sort of playing with creating a "pump action combat shotgun basic training session", based heavily on a Lucky Gunner video on the topic:

My version is just my interpretation on the topic.

Start from low ready. Fire 1 round at target. (x 10)
    Start from high ready / port arms / whatever you call it. Fire 1 round at target. (x 10)

From this point on, you may choose your starting stance from these two. Stick with one, change it up, whatever you want.

Fire 2 rounds at one target. (x 10)
    2 targets. Fire 1 at each target. (x 5 left to right, x 5 right to left)
    Weapon is fully loaded with bird/buckshot. 1 target, distance beyond effective range for shot (or a smaller target simulating such). Load 1 slug, fire same. (x 10)
    Weapon must be loaded with at least 2 rounds at start. Fire 1, load 1, fire 1. (x 10)
    Weapon must have 1 round chambered, magazine must be empty. Fire 2 rounds at target. (Fire 1, attempt to fire a second time, after click perform emergency reload, fire 1.) (x 10)

The suggested repetitions should bring the ammo budget for this training session to 100 bird/buckshot, 10 slugs.

A friend was tuning up for the worldshoot. He shot a local USPSA match with his shotgun. A case of slugs is probably out of most of us' budget but maybe you could get the blessing of the match director for a stage or two? Sidematch maybe?

Do what this guy tells you to, including the pushups.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List