Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Support thumb pressure

I teach heavy support-hand thumb pressure onto the frame, and significantly further forward than most. I don't think you were applying too much lateral pressure, as you describe things; quite the contrary.

If you're deviating shots towards the support side in the absence of support-hand thumb pressure, were I you I would re-proof my trigger-finger relief; most likely looking at getting a little bit less finger on the trigger and rotating the entire shooting hand clockwise around the grip sufficient to achieve that goal.

Disengaging one or both thumbs has not proofed out well in my observation, and usually allows the weapon to roll or turn within the shooting grip both as the trigger is pressed and while recoil is happening; but your mileage may vary.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I recently cut my left thumb while cooking
    The real answer here should be pretty obvious, don't cut yourself while cooking.

You know that you shooting left because you just took pressure off the frame with your thumb? How do you know that your not opening your support hand and inadvertently apply pressure with you support hand fingers and turning everything to the left? How do you know that your thenar emimnance (meaty part of the hand at the base of thumb) of you support hand doesn't normally press against the shooting hand or grip and counteract leftward motion by the support hand? This could all be mind games you're playing with yourself.

You got injured doing something unrelated to shooting, I understand that it affects your shooting, but it wasn't caused by shooting. Wait until your healthy, because you could be dicking with something that isn't broken. It's not a good time to run self diagnostics and figure things out.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    I recently cut my left thumb while cooking, which I'm even worse at than shooting. Last session with my P320 I was "babying" this thumb, not touching the frame at all. It normally rests against the takedown lever. This time my shots broke down and left at any pace but very slow. Am I relying too much on lateral pressure from my support thumb to stabilize the gun? How much, if any, pressure is normal here?
    I put my thumb on that big area of a Glock. I put skateboard tape there on my GSSF guns since I don't worry about drawing them. If I shot a 1911 I would want one wtih a rail. I don't think about pushing it in or focus on the grip there. I think of my hands as a clamp and focus on what my grip makes the gun do. I think having the thumb there puts more hands on the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    Out of curiosity is it "wrong" to have support thumb pressure on the frame?

I shoot exclusively Glocks and have smallish hands; even with the "more trigger finger" technique I still have a leftward bias which is especially prominent at 15+ yards and at speed. I have been experimenting with support thumb pressure and it appears to be working well for me. Is there any downside to support thumb pressure against the frame?
    I don't think it's wrong but I don't think that's "where its at." You want to isolate your trigger pull from your grip, which should be very strong. This way you don't steer the gun away from your intended impact point as you apply input and forces on the gun from pulling the trigger. And second your grip would control recoil to a predictable rise and return (or close enough) so you can shoot again.

So, grip very tight and fire many rounds. Awareness, evaluate, adjust or repeat accordingly. Ask yourself and be in search of that grip that allows you to shoot very fast and accurate... the one where the gun goes up and comes back and you can fire again, and again, accurately. If it falls apart at 15, ask yourself why and apply an adjustment to see if you can change the result. Move in to 10 yards, them move out, etc.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 05-08-2019 at 01:04 AM.
    A71593

It's neither right or wrong at this point regarding the execution and results. It is simply something different than what you normally do and your results are skewed from an altered technique.

Now, which technique is more correct? I don't think there is a singular answer here either.

I think the biggest problem is consistency. Just how hard are you pressing?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I think the biggest problem is consistency. Just how hard are you pressing?
    Reminds me of the old thinking of grip pressure in terms of percentage ratio between support hand and strong hand. So long as sights aren't moving on trigger press perhaps amount of pressure is irrelevant.

I am surprised to see where he places his strong-hand thumb. I tried that and it really worked for me. But when I asked about it on this forum I was strongly advised not to do that, as the slide sliding backwards might cut my thumb.

Randy

Site Supporter
    If you hold your pistol still, the trigger press is the problem. A few thoughts:

Isolation - Only the trigger moves
    Direction - Pull straight back
    Effort - Just enough, don't use a 6 lb pull on a 4 lb trigger
    Speed - Shoot as fast as you can hold still
    Movement - Press at a constant speed
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

This is the thumb grip I am referring to. It is demonstrated about 1:40 into the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVHykd3zTU
    I know that some revolver shooters use this kind of grip, but I never heard to a top pistol shooter using it.

Randy

User Tag List