Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new eye pro - Are any polarized?

Looking for new eye pro - Are any polarized?

Looking for new set of eye pro. My smith optic elite are all scratched up and it looks like their either aren't making replacement lenses anymore or at least I can't find them.

What are yall out there using? Does anyone make a decent set that are polarized? I watched a video that said polarized glasses can help with red dot's and astigmatism and I tired it with a pair of polarized sun glasses in the house and it did seem to help a bit; not sure how much it'd help outdoors but if I could find a set that is polarized I figure it can't hurt.

I'm a firm believer in Rudy Project glasses. They have some kind of juju going on with their lenses. They are the clearest lense I've ever had the pleasure to look through by far. Made my Oakleys look like dime store point of sale type stuff. They are pricey but they have a good warranty on the lenses. One thing about the photochromics. They don't work inside a car, so not so good for driving, get a tinted set for that. They work fantastic outside of filtered glass though, I have a clear set that's actually clear and they get plenty dark outside.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 04-07-2019 at 12:44 AM.

been really happy with these , not expensive
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-07-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Great minds think alike. I wear the Edge Khor

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/edg...-driving-lens/

I wear them as my normal sunglasses.

Wylie X valor has polarized lenses available.

I love the valor but opt for the standard gray tint lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Great minds think alike. I wear the Edge Khor

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/edg...-driving-lens/

I wear them as my normal sunglasses.
    I wear the Edge Dakura as my normal sunglasses. Been intending to get a polarized set also.

The Edge glasses were on sale at a local lumber yard, I bought a couple sets as safety glasses and was pleasantly surprised at how clear they were for the price point. I still ruin them now and then even though not doing carpentry and construction work, so am hesitant to buy much more expensive glasses. No complaints so far.

Site Supporter
    Cut from a recent thread on a similar topic. I would not let polarized drive the train for eyepro. If the eyepro in question is not on the list referenced below, I would be suspect. It seems like most of the referenced sets have a clear and grey lenses that are not polarized. FWIW.

"Re Eyepro: You have one set of eyes. NEVER Scrimp on eyepro. I will go one step farther: NEVER scrimp on anything that comes between you and the ground:
    ergo, shoes, socks, brakes, tires and mattresses as well... but I digress.

Let me tell you a story:
    Circa 2005. Gunsite 250 in a contracted class with 19 of my closest shooting chums. Day 2 of a 5 days class in the am I have a 5.3g of 231 over a 230 RNL self reloaded .45 ACP round turn out to be a double charge in a stock Kimber "Series I" 5 inch, all steel gun. The recoil impulse and noise were such that both I and the RO on my side of the line knew something was up. I stayed aimed in downrange. The RO repeatedly said "Counselor give me the gun and come off the line." I did and he looked at me after removing my Oakley M Series specs.

I had some "powder splatter" on my unprotected check that bled a bit. My "VR28" lenses had some impact spots that were more than scratches but less than pock marks. Another RO who was also a gunsmith cleared my gun for service and I got back on the line with another set of M-Frames after missing a few relays.

Pat Rogers (RIP) talked me into those glasses on another forum way back in the day. Perhaps some of the best money I have ever spent.

I have since learned that the the M Series of old does not meet the latest spec. I then consulted the previously referenced armed forces approved list: \

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/#

... and have been sporting ESS stuff ever since. I simply would not wear eyopro while shooting that was not on that list or made to that spec as per an eye professional I trusted.

YMMV Greatly."

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Cut from a recent thread on a similar topic. I would not let polarized drive the train for eyepro. If the eyepro in question is not on the list referenced below, I would be suspect. It seems like most of the referenced sets have a clear and grey lenses that are not polarized. FWIW.

...I have since learned that the the M Series of old does not meet the latest spec. I then consulted the previously referenced armed forces approved list: \

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/#

... and have been sporting ESS stuff ever since. I simply would not wear eyopro while shooting that was not on that list or made to that spec as per an eye professional I trusted.

YMMV Greatly."
    Interesting, thanks.

The Edge glasses claim to be MIL_PRF 31013 3.5.1.1 compliant, but that apparently varies from the APEL list requirements in some way. Not sure yet what the difference is. The mil ballistic test level exceeds civilian safety glasses by a significant margin from what I can tell at this point.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info. Keep us updated. More and better Eyepro choice is always a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Thanks for the info. Keep us updated. More and better Eyepro choice is always a good thing
    Thanks for the info, that makes things a lot easier knowing that everything on that list is GtG.

User Tag List