Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOM shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    If you get a chance, please come back and give your thoughts after wearing them for a while.

I'm a big fan of of the barefoot thing. I started out with VFF and I liked them a lot but they wore out so quick! I even used them backpacking - my favorite memory being up in the Bucks Lake Wilderness early spring when there was still a ton of snow on the ground. My backpacking companion wore traditional heavy leather 6" boots, and couldn't climb the mounds of snow well, whereas with the VFF I could articulate my toes and bite into the snow.

I'm currently using the Inov8 F-Lite 235 which aren't bad, but they aren't my beloved VFF's.
    Ok Ill post after i get them. One thing to note they offer resoling. Also im just buying these for kicking around shoes and I wanted mesh for summer. So made in USA 🇺🇸 big toe box resoling kinda cool looking sneaker look and mesh is what sold me. Im not the guy to put them through the paces if thats the kind of review you are looking for.
    Last edited by UNK; 04-07-2019 at 02:02 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If you get them please report back, I dig the look.
    If you get a chance, please come back and give your thoughts after wearing them for a while.
    I got them in Friday wore them around the house that night. Delivery was much quicker than the possible 8 day possible ship period I was given as worse case scenario. Wore them some more sat am around the house then decided to keep them.
    I've been wearing them out and around since then sock less.
    Understood the barefoot aspect quickly. So I don't have any experience with this type of shoe but the toe box is huge. If they were red they would be like clown shoes. Then again i wear a 13.5 so maybe that has something to do with it. I think based on my foot width they could be a bit tighter in the toe box but it wouldn't make that much of a difference.
    I wish they had a rounded heel instead of an edge. They are light and comfortable. All of my walking in them has been on concrete or asphalt. They are true to size and very very well put together.
    I would say they are worth ordering if this type shoe interests you. Remember I have nothing of this type to compare them to.
    I think Ill try a pair of the LEM shoes mentioned earlier in the thread next.
    I am now definitely a fan of the barefoot type shoe.

Thank you for the follow up!

The Inov8 F235 has a generous toebox without being super huge so maybe that'd be worth looking at too. Not quite sure if it fits the definition of a "barefoot shoe" but it has zero heel-to-toe drop.

I just got new Inov8 shoes yesterday and among them was the F Lite 195 and that one has a way slimmer fit. In fact, I'd maybe suggest going up half a size. It's also not a "zero drop" shoe.

Enjoy the new shoes! I've heard you're supposed to take it easy while your feet adjust. However I never seemed to have much of an issue.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-21-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter

Enjoy the new shoes! I've heard you're supposed to take it easy while your feet adjust. However I never seemed to have much of an issue.
    I’ve using Xero shoes (barefoot style) on and off for 8 months now. I really like them but when I started, I could only do a few hours of the day in them. I am can now run them all day but have not tried longer hikes or rucking in them. I really feel I need to spend a bunch more time re learning how to walk and being really conscious about my movement.

I hope to be able to do everything in them someday.

I’m looking for a new casual shoe to replace my worn out Pumas so I’m watching this thread with interest. I’m a big fan of barefoot style shoes but want something that isn’t a running shoe to go about my day in. The SOM shoes and the Lems both look interesting.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Love my Lems Boulder Boots, but now that I've bought a black and brown pair they're all on sale today at 33% off with no need for a coupon. Go get em.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’m looking for a new casual shoe to replace my worn out Pumas so I’m watching this thread with interest. I’m a big fan of barefoot style shoes but want something that isn’t a running shoe to go about my day in. The SOM shoes and the Lems both look interesting.
    I've had a pair of LEMs Nine2Fives for a few years now and they've been great, very comfortable and have held up well (though I don't wear them every day). Also a pair of Vivobarefoot Primus-something in leather as my other "not quite a sneaker but not real shoes either". They've been good as well. I wear those two enough that a shoe with any kind of heel feels extremely weird now.
    Casual and workout shoes have been a few pair of OG New Balance Minimus that will need replacing soon or Chucks because of the flat sole.
    Looking at Inov8 if I don't go with LEMs, Vivobarefoot or Minimus again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

While the Merrell Trail Gloves aren't as minimal as their older models, they are still one of the few good options for zero drop with a wide toe box. I mostly run on the roads and have used these and the New Balance MT10's for several years. Merrell's Vapor Glove is also a good option, and more minimal than the Trail Glove.
    I would also strongly recommend this brand from Poland. I have 3 pairs, and they are outstanding thin and very flexible shoes.
    https://tadeevo.com/
    I have several pair of Vivo's, but they are very hit or miss in trying to find my size. Leguano is a German brand that has a dealer in Canada that sells to the US. They are also a great, lightweight minimalist shoe.
    I just got a pair of Inov8 FLite 195's and I'm not sure abot them yet as they are pretty narrow in the toe box.
    Good luck with your quest.

I've had them for a while now and wear them daily outside of work and I do like them. They are comfortable and lightweight. I don't even notice the toe box anymore. I got some elastic laces, my first pair. I had them too tight at first but after I loosened them a bit they were perfect so cut them long at first. I still want to try the LEM's at some point.

Wasn't aware of any of these, thanks for the info/links. I'm really liking the look of the LEMS Nine2Five as a potential fix to my work travel shoe woes, but I'm not sure if my high arches could handle it. I love my Olukai lace ups, but they are definitely casual.

Not a barefoot style, so apologies for the drift, but I recently got a murdered out pair of the Salomon OUTline GTX lows...I haven't really put them to work off paved surfaces, but they are crazy light compared to rest of the GTX trail/hiker shoes I have tried.

https://www.rei.com/product/134164/s...ing-shoes-mens

User Tag List