Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why it's good to exercise caution in modifying your firearm...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Clearly I should demand that everyone refer to me as LG from here on out. If the History channel made up a nickname for me that still counts right?
    See?

Seriously, though, that's one of the unintended consequences of modular, easy to detail-strip pistols supported by a huge and burgeoning aftermarket: The democratization of *&^%-ups.

It used to be that you needed a file, an Arkansas stone, maybe a Dremel, and a fair amount of mechanical ineptitude to mess up your heater. Now any yob with a punch, a YouTube video, and enough manual dexterity to tie his own shoes can shoot himself in the grape with a runaway gun. You can buy drop-in mistakes; no gunsmith fitting required!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yeah, I know "powerstroke" is a hot term in tactical gunfighting schools for gunfighters and even reputable trainers use it, but after hearing that guy repeat it over and over again, it just sort of sounds silly. Although, that video did hit all the check boxes for "tactical trainer video".

1. Have a beard
    2. Use profanity
    3. Say "powerstroke"
    4. Take a dig at competition shooting
    5. Make fun of a student's gear. (deduct 1 point since the student's gear in this case deserved to be mocked)

I've seriously reached tactical saturation point. I've even had some good people vouch for the guys at Falcon Operations Group (the dudes behind the video) but it's become so difficult to take any of this stuff seriously.
    You forgot to add using the term "weapons system" multiple times in your Youtube video.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    You forgot to add using the term "weapons system" multiple times in your Youtube video.
    +1
    I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family. - Homer Simpson

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Looking at the video, I barely see a single stock part on that gun. Seems that at minimum, the bbl, RSA, slide lock, slide stop, mag release, and magazine well have all been either replaced with non-stock parts, or heavily modified.

The video mentions that he is running a drop-in aftermarket trigger, but given all the other mods, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that numerous other internal parts had been replaced.

This particular issue seemed sporadic enough that it could have easily slipped through the cracks of a standard function check. Would other symptoms crop up in a function check that would indicate to the user that this might become an issue?

(Sorry guys -- don't mean to get too far off topic from all the ridiculing of the instructors)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    This particular issue seemed sporadic enough that it could have easily slipped through the cracks of a standard function check. Would other symptoms crop up in a function check that would indicate to the user that this might become an issue?
    Odds are that the firing pin block was either disabled or modified to the point where it was effectively disabled. A firing pin block check should be performed any time you've had the gun apart, and especially if you've detail stripped the slide.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Odds are that the firing pin block was either disabled or modified to the point where it was effectively disabled. A firing pin block check should be performed any time you've had the gun apart, and especially if you've detail stripped the slide.
    Thanks Todd. That is definitely part of my standard function check. I just assumed that since the issue seemed to require a jarring impact (racking the slide hard) and didn't even happen 100% of the time, it might not come up during such a check.

It can also happen if take a super light trigger such as the Glockworx, and include a lightweight striker/spring combo. I'm all for making Glocks more shootable, but I actually agree with the fundamental premise of "don't mess with them."

Reminds me of the video game, "Call of Duty" but you actually have to get up off the couch......
    Bob Hostetter

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Yeah that makes me want to puke. Jesus, at least come up with your own cool-guy term for it.

On topic; that is some scary crap. I had Dan Burwell work on my M&P trigger a few years back when I thought I "needed" a better trigger. I shortly thereafter realized that I would have been better off spending the money on ammo and not having someone shaving down my sear.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Something I really appreciated, was when I ordered some 1911 parts from C&S, the instructions were extremely detailed on how to perform a series of tests to check for just these kinds of issues. Granted, for the typical bubba who doesn't read directions it was wasted ink, but for someone like me who did read them but didn't know that this could be the end result, it was excellent to see them.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

User Tag List