Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dawson Precision Glock HiCap Basepad

I use the Dawsons for competition for USPSA limited division. They are excellent for that and better than the TTI basepads in my opinion (I have both).

I would not use any of these +5/6 extensions for carry. The springs in them are not strong enough to maintain tension for long if left fully loaded day in and day out. I have to replace springs every 6 months to a year on my competition mags and I don't use them that often.

Site Supporter
    I’d be cautious with using G17 extensions on a G19. I had a set of TT extensions I bought to use on my 19 mags and, while they assembled and loaded fine, they weren’t compatible. When you loaded the magazine everything would go fine but then the follower would hang in the extension to mag body transition and turn a 19 round magazine into a 2 round magazine.

I looked later and there was a note (don’t know if it was there when I ordered or added later) that the standard extensions didn’t work with G19 mags and there was a link to G19/23 specific extensions from TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

I have 3 magazines with these base pads. Years ago, I used them for 3 gun (before I got wise and went STI). No I use them for Carry Optics division. I like them better than TTI .
    Last edited by Bucky; 04-08-2019 at 03:38 PM.

OK so I got a Dawson base pad and here's what I found so far:

G17 mag gets me +6
    G19 mag gets me +5

Tested on Gen5 magazines with the orange follower. I did not have to do any modification to the follower to get it to work. Not sure if I was lucky, or I was able to Mongo the follower past the jamming point, or if the orange followers are good to go.

I will report back here if I experience any issues running the mag with the Dawsons.

EDIT:

I could (sorta) get 21 rounds in the G19, but the cartridge wasn't in the normal position beneath the feed lips.
    Last edited by Jay585; 04-20-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I use the Dawsons for competition for USPSA limited division. They are excellent for that and better than the TTI basepads in my opinion (I have both).
    What in particular did you observe with the Dawsons vs TTI?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I’ve used both as well, so I’ll share my 2¢.

The Dawson’s are easier to take apart / reassemble, no tools needed, no Allen wrenches needed for adjustment. The Dawsons fit tighter, no wiggle or play. Finally, the Dawson’s have more rounded corners, less to dig into your hand on an aggressive reload.

The downside on the Dawsons are, they can get gritted up in a sandy or other gritty environment, making them harder to use. They’re also harder to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The poster above nailed it for the most part. I also found the pin on the TTI is not friendly to all magwells and/or grip plugs. If you plan to use any type of aftermarket magwell or grip plug, you need to check the TTI fit, as some of them will push the pin out that holds the base plate on the plate. In general, I just find the Dawson's much easier to disassemble, reassemble, and more reliably stay on the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    OEM magazines are the answer whenever possible.
    As the saying goes, Glock is a magazine company that also happens to make guns.

Site Supporter
    So do the Dawson base pads meet the 140mm USPSA CO requirement?

I have 2 TTI base pads that work well so far.
    I have 4 of the magpul 21 rounders that after a few matches are pretty much worthless. The springs or followers bind in the mag body and just stop feeding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    So do the Dawson base pads meet the 140mm USPSA CO requirement?
    Yes, that’s what I’m using.

User Tag List