Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: $399 SP-101 at CDNN - .38 Special

What was your DA trigger like out of the box? My example is horrible, I can hear either the hammer spring, or trigger return spring creaking, making noise when the hammer is pulled back. As soon as the shim, polish kits show up the trigger group is going to get a good polishing..Myself, I see alot of potential in these little guns, they just seem to need a little going over to bring that out..

Bailed out of CT -stupid gun laws- retired to summer house in Maine
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    What was your DA trigger like out of the box? My example is horrible.
    Agree, trigger is rough. I have read they smooth out to a more acceptable level in time. I'm going to give mine a little time before swapping out springs, adding shims etc. Trying a little dry fire hack. Old school, can't stand the sound of a steel hammer banging down on the metal transfer bar. Placed a small piece of rubber I cut from a scrap of old fire boots and placed it over the transfer bar. Stays in place well and deadens the sound.

I was going to try to break it in, and see if it smoothed out..But after doing some dry fire practice with it over the last few days, I can't live with the DA trigger as it is, so when everything shows up I'm going to give it a good polishing..

Shim kits and polishing kit showed up today..I can honestly say that after polishing, installing shims, hammer spring,and trigger return spring that made a world of difference..DA trigger is way better and quite useable, and I feel it will get better with use. I could've used little more shimming on the trigger, and would suggest to anyone to buy a shim kit from www.triggershims.com as he has a wider variety of thicknesses. Overall, considering that I did'nt spend alot of money, this was well worth the effort, and now I know how to do a trigger job on Ruger SP101's..

Quote Originally Posted by Liveliner View Post
    Picked up one of these. Arrived in 2 days NIB from CDDN. Feels good in hands, nice size grips fit me well. Grips appeared large in pics but not too big for CCW if you go that route. Performed well at the range, sights were on target no issues 100 rounds. Ammo Remington 148 gr wadcutters & 125gr Blazer Brass. Transitioning back to revolvers for CCW. Wanted to try a slightly larger gun than my current carry S&W Model 36 with bobbed hammer. Admittedly that one is hard to beat.

It looks like your poa and poi line up perfectly. Does it shift left or right further out? I'm to the point of going to adj sights. I've been through a bad run of fixed sight pocket revolvers that won't shoot straight. Barrels not tightened straight to frame, riflling not true to center line and frame threads cut at a slight angle.

Around Dec. I found a pawn shop that sells lots of handguns and had over ordered some SP101 3" .38's thinking they were .357, with std grips for a similar price in the mid $400's. It was very tempting. Right now I'm waiting to get my 3" 1983 Bulldog back from Charter Arms with a new barrel installed. I love the .44 Special. A SP101 with a slightly enlarged frame like the Bulldog for .44 Special would have probably been a great seller for Ruger. If they were worried about it being overloaded, they could even shortened the Special case some and called it a .44 Ruger. I doubt they ever will produce one, now that they have it in their GP100 and Blackhawks.

I took the little pistol out yesterday, and it shot suprisingly well.. With a bit more practice, I would'nt be afraid to use this as a CCW. The mcarbo kit +some polishing really helped the DA trigger.To be honest, it 's nowhere near as smooth as my Match Champion, but considering where it was at out of the box, (almost unuseable) it's a big improvement, and for the money spent, it was worth it, and I don't think one can put a price on the experience gained by taking something like this apart, and putting it back together..

User Tag List