Page 20 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sanford Florida incident....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    This happens a lot with students. For most of high school and college, my DL had my height as 5'-8" - my height when I got my learners permit at 15. By my freshman year of college, I was closing in on 6'0". DL was still the same.
    Heh. Obviously all the driver's licenses I looked at were for people >18 years old.

'Course, TCz's point that it may not have been from his D/L at all is also interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCz
    Hmm, the report also has Zimmerman classified as white.
    Just looking at him, I would too. What's it say on his D/L, I wonder?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Lightbulb New picture emerges of Trayvon Martin (The Daily Mail)

New picture emerges of Trayvon Martin
    <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120504/Trayvon-Martin-case-He-suspended-times-caught-burglary-tool.html>

I take everything published by the Daily Fail with a generous dose of salt.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    New picture emerges of Trayvon Martin
    <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120504/Trayvon-Martin-case-He-suspended-times-caught-burglary-tool.html>
    That's mostly a rehash of the stuff that the Miami Herald had already released. I'm unimpressed by the scribbling "WTF" on a door and the empty dope baggy. That makes him no worse than about two thirds of everybody I knew in high school, not the warlord of the Eight Trey Gangsta Crips.

The screwdriver and jewelry he claimed sumdood put in his backpack is troubling, but the principal didn't seem to do the veracity of that claim any services by not calling the heat right then.

Look, everybody here carries a gun, and is automatically putting themselves in Zimmerman's shoes. I promise you that if a jury is empaneled, you could turn the jury box upside down and shake it and not a single toter's permit will fall out. They are not going to be looking at it through the same eyes you are.

I will bet a crisp twenty right now that even as I type this, Zimmerman wishes he never got out of that truck in the first place. He that hath ears, let him hear.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I will bet a crisp twenty right now that even as I type this, Zimmerman wishes he never got out of that truck in the first place. He that hath ears, let him hear.
    Them that hath ears and eyes, have heard and seen, and will not get out of the truck when it's their turn.

Them that wanna tie their self image to being a sheep-dog, heedless of the consequences...face-palm. Whatever.

Heh. Obviously all the driver's licenses I looked at were for people >18 years old.

'Course, TCz's point that it may not have been from his D/L at all is also interesting.

Just looking at him, I would too. What's it say on his D/L, I wonder?
    I would have classified him as hispanic just from the picture myself... I brought it up simply because of the confusion over every single detail of this case. Even something as simple as the subject's race was difficult to decipher, not to mention misreported several times. I even found one report that said he was half-black, half-hispanic.
    All the world's a lathe.

"hispanic" is not a race.

it's an ethnicity.

/says the person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_an..._States_Census

It seems I have much to learn about what the words "race" and "ethinicity" mean. Off I go to Google...
    Last edited by TCz; 03-27-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Dead wrong
    All the world's a lathe.

Huh.

I wonder what it would have looked like if Martin had decked the guy and started to turn away, figuring he'd taught the guy a lesson, and when Zimmerman landed on his butt with a bloody nose, he hauled out his Kel-Tec and said "FREEZE!" or "You shouldn't have done that!" or "Make my day!" so then Martin (who, remember, had no duty to retreat, either, depending on who laid hands on who first) grabbed for the gun and started pounding Zimmerman's head against the concrete in an attempt to not get shot. During the struggle, the gun goes off and hits Martin, but he's got his hand wrapped around the little pistol's slide, so it doesn't cycle...

If that's what had happened, I wonder what the evidence would look like?

Phhhttt! You only have to worry about press hysteria and crusading prosecutors if you live in antigun places like New Jersey! If you live in a pro-gun state like Florida, as long as it's a Clean Shoot©®™ you can just skip into the sunset on your way to being given the key to the city.
    When the dead guy wasn't armed, or not standing over your bed at 2:00AM it's probably never a slam dunk clean shoot anywhere. No subsitute for judgement. It's fundamental.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TCz View Post
    It seems I have much to learn about what the words "race" and "ethinicity" mean. Off I go to Google...
    Frankly I find the definitions pedantic, but it's possible I'm being insensitive about this.

I think we're all going to end up some shade of khaki in 50 years. Why even bother measuring race and ethnicity. People talk about "eliminating the racial divide" but insist on measuring the racial divide.

</tangent>

User Tag List