Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Folly or the Rex Alpha 9

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Initial shots from DA are not a good idea on this pistol as there is no decocking feature with the slide release lever as on the service pistol models. So one has to decock by releasing the trigger and guiding the hammer down. I cannot see that always ending well. This pistol is SA with a second-strike capability
    It's not a "SA pistol with second strike capability". This pistol, like the CZ Shadows, Tanfoglio Stock series, and the Beretta 92X was meant from the ground up for IPSC/USPSA Production division (where single action starts are not allowed) with additional use in IPSC Standard/USPSA Limited divisions (where single action starts are allowed)

Every year CZs and Tanfoglios with identical fire control systems (DA/SA with a safety) get decocked by manually lowering the hammer thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of times by IPSC shooters the world over. If you use the correct technique, your chances of an ND are zero.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 04-06-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    It's not a "SA pistol with second strike capability". This pistol, like the CZ Shadows, Tanfoglio Stock series, and the Beretta 92X was meant from the ground up for IPSC/USPSA Production division (where single action starts are not allowed) with additional use in IPSC Standard/USPSA Limited divisions (where single action starts are allowed)

Every year CZs and Tanfoglios with identical fire control systems (DA/SA with a safety) get decocked by manually lowering the hammer thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of times by IPSC shooters the world over. If you use the correct technique, your chances of an ND are zero.
    Thanks for the information. I know zilch about IPSC/USPSA Production matches, having last shot a match more than a decade ago in Limited 10. I am still hesitant to decock the gun manually, but I will try it (with an empty chamber).

Last update for the weekend as the thunderstorms have moved into the area. I put another 130 rounds through the pistol and focused on shooting for group at twenty-five and fifty yards. Not so much looking for Bullseye accuracy as wanting to see what the pistol can do in my hands. I used the handloads I make for my old Sams 1911, which I know are capable of shooting into less than an inch at fifty yards in that pistol (from the Ransom rest, not in my hands). Twenty-five yards groups went into less than two-inches for every group, but I fell apart at distance. My best group was a bit less than three inches, but I also shot an eight-inch pattern. No issues with function at all.

Overall, this is a really nice pistol. I obviously know squat about the matches for which it is designed, but I am enjoying it. It is well built and capable of great shooting. Muzzle rise is less than a 9x19 1911, and there are no issues, so far, with rounds from a full magazine not feeding from slide lock. I may be sending my STI Trojans down the road and getting another Rex Alpha 9.

Thanks for the information. I know zilch about IPSC/USPSA Production matches, having last shot a match more than a decade ago in Limited 10. I am still hesitant to decock the gun manually, but I will try it (with an empty chamber).

Last update for the weekend as the thunderstorms have moved into the area. I put another 130 rounds through the pistol and focused on shooting for group at twenty-five and fifty yards. Not so much looking for Bullseye accuracy as wanting to see what the pistol can do in my hands. I used the handloads I make for my old Sams 1911, which I know are capable of shooting into less than an inch at fifty yards in that pistol (from the Ransom rest, not in my hands). Twenty-five yards groups went into less than two-inches for every group, but I fell apart at distance. My best group was a bit less than three inches, but I also shot an eight-inch pattern. No issues with function at all.

Overall, this is a really nice pistol. I obviously know squat about the matches for which it is designed, but I am enjoying it. It is well built and capable of great shooting. Muzzle rise is less than a 9x19 1911, and there are no issues, so far, with rounds from a full magazine not feeding from slide lock. I may be sending my STI Trojans down the road and getting another Rex Alpha 9.
    Watch the thumb roll method. It's the safest way to do it

Thanks. That thumb roll looks to be foolproof. It looks much safer than the pinch technique, which is what I referenced.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-07-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks. That thumb roll looks to be foolproof. It looks much safer than the pinch technique, which is what I referenced.
    The pinch technique is not as bad if the hammer is skeletonized but it will never be as safe as the thumb roll.

Another update: I tried to manipulate the slide with the thumb safety engaged while experimenting with an empty pistol. No bueno with the slide in battery using the rear serrations as the fingers and the safety levers want to occupy the same space at the same time. So I tried from slide lock. Obviously I can use the slide release, but the safety levers are in the way as I had to reach over it or use my weak hand. I was able to sling shot the slide with the safety engaged with no issues.

Nothing earth shattering; just learning to see how this pistol works for me. For now, I am using it like a 1911 (safety off when manipulating slide), albeit a seventeen-round 9x19 1911. It is nice in that sense in that the gun has not bobbled once. I wish my 9x19 1911-pattern guns did as well.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Interesting gun, thanks for the review. Would love to see a pic of the magwell, is it beveled?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Interesting gun, thanks for the review. Would love to see a pic of the magwell, is it beveled?
    Picture below.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Picture below.
    Thanks, looks great!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Another update: Aluminum grips arrived from Slovenia with no issue. The grips beat the USA-made holster. I noticed the grips come with a spare set of screws and O-rings. So I went to install them. First clue that this was not going to be simple was that the grip screws use Torx T10 heads. I acquired the proper tool, started on the right side, removed the right side screws and grips with no issues, removed the right side grip panel, and flipped the gun over to work on the left side. Lower screw came out with no issue. Upper screw head for the T10 Torx is stripped, and the screw hardness is not impressing me. Looks like I need a drill press and an EZ Out. The grip screws are not the same quality of the rest of the pistol.

I am going to take it to a local smith who has the EZ Out.

User Tag List