Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro-tips for the Mossberg 500/590 Series?

Pro-tips for the Mossberg 500/590 Series?

Willie made a comment about spare/back-up parts for a 590 in another thread (ejector/screw, shell latch, and interrupter) which prompts me to ask the question. Any other parts worth putting back for the Mossberg 500/590 series of shotguns? Which parts are most prone to breakage/wear and in what way? What needs keeping an eye on? Any commonly overlooked places that need lube?

I gotta say, those shotguns have a reputation for being kind of rattletraps, but the three(!) I have recently accumulated mostly feel like the pump is riding on ball bearings. They are by no means "tight", but when running the action, the reciprocation of the pump is very smooth and satisfying. This is across an 835, 500, and Shockwave. The 835 has the "best" action with the Shockwave having the stiffest. These two also have the most and least rounds through them, respectively.

I’m issued a 590A1 for work. I haven’t had any issues yet with parts failure, I’m not a Mossberg armorer but some things I’ve learned to pay attention to-

If it’s needed, a very light sanding of the edges around the loading port to soften the angle a bit.

Depending on what sight setup you’re using, I’d Loctite the setscrew in the front rifle sight so it doesn’t work itself loose. I’ve had the safety tang screw loosen over time as well.

Some of the internal moving parts will quickly develop a dull shine, I’ll touch these up with lube when I break it down for cleaning.

I broke something inside the trigger of a 590 a while back. I don't remember which part exactly, but when I looked into it, I was told it was easier/cheaper to replace the entire trigger assembly, so that's what I wound up doing. Apparently it was going to be too hard to get the little pieces back together.

So I think if I had 5+ 590s, I might keep one spare trigger assembly on hand.

I lost a magazine spring retainer on one of my 590s. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal because the magazine end cap is keeping the spring in place, but I should probably replace that part and buy an extra in case I lose one again.

Unless there's some contingent of people arguing it's better to run the gun without that part for some reason?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I broke something inside the trigger of a 590 a while back. I don't remember which part exactly, but when I looked into it, I was told it was easier/cheaper to replace the entire trigger assembly, so that's what I wound up doing. Apparently it was going to be too hard to get the little pieces back together.

So I think if I had 5+ 590s, I might keep one spare trigger assembly on hand.
    If you still have the old trigger group, I suggest that you send it to Mossberg along with the serial number and write a short note. I bet that you will receive a new replacement. It's almost a certainty. Or, you will get yours back with new parts where needed.

Having owned and "worked on" other folks' Mossberg shotguns, I can say that I never have seen one that did not readily respond to smoothing up. Removing sharp and or rough edges on action bars is the first step. Hit these with stone or sand paper. Next use solvent to remove grit from same. Then use elbow grease and Flitz polish on bars' surface. The shell lifter requires attention in the same way. I've been fortunate to have a spare parts box and discovered that some lifters give a smoother action than others. Swapping out worked nicely.

Mossberg shotguns are clunkers that work. On new ones I suggest using 0000 steel wool to polish chambers. You might put Flitz on the wool. Polishing removes any roughness associated with clunker type manufacturing methods and might prevent extraction problems encountered with some cheap shells. My 590a1 has choked on one lot of S&B buckshot. Polishing the chamber to include the area in front allowed the shotgun to extract what I considered defective shells. My 870 had the same difficulty with this particular lot.

I replaced the factory mag spring with a Wolff spring and the shell follower with a high grade stainless version. This action may not have been needed. Mossberg has been using improved followers for a couple years. Internet chatter flamed the springs. I changed it. The one custom addition that can and might interfere with reliability is a magazine extension. Spring coils can hang up on the junction between extension and tube. In the past I have had premium law enforcement buckshot undergo compression to the extent that shells would not feed. This occurred when using a fully loaded extension.

We make assumptions about our equipment. I no longer assume that if I buy a brand name item, then it will work on my gun using my ammo. Verify by checking. I have a 2 shot extension on an 870 Marine Magnum. I keep it ready with 4 rounds in the mag tube. Nearby I have other ammo to top it off with. I may or may not try to top it off. It depends.

See this link for Mossberg parts and good advice. They are nice folks. havlinsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by powell556 View Post
    I lost a magazine spring retainer on one of my 590s. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal because the magazine end cap is keeping the spring in place, but I should probably replace that part and buy an extra in case I lose one again.

Unless there's some contingent of people arguing it's better to run the gun without that part for some reason?
    That retainer piece strikes me as a convenience / admin thing - probably installed so Mossberg can't get sued because a mag spring pokes somebody in the eye. For me, they are a PITA and I ditch 'em. I find that occasional cleaning of the magazine tube yields a surprising amount of crud so I try to pay attention that that. Dealing with the retainer just isn't worth it for me. I will say that a huntin' buddy had the threaded cap of his magazine on an 870 come loose whilst we were shooting ducks from the edge of a pretty deep creek. Apparently he lacked the retainer so everything in the mag launched into the creek. Hilarity ensued as we watched him fish for the pieces (somehow he found everything).

Willie - I read something not terribly long ago (seemed like a credible source at the time, but I can't remember who said it) that said extra power springs should be avoided in Mossberg pumps. No reason given (that I recall), but there was some comment about the rims of shotshells getting beat up by the shell latch(?) if they were repeatedly cycled through the mag (loading/unloading) with the extra power spring. I dunno, just offering that up. Like you, I add mag extensions and then download by one; empty chamber.

RE: assumptions about equipment... Ya'll follow Kit Badger? Seems like a legit guy. Competed and placed decently in the Tactical Games using borrowed gear to include a borrowed Glock. Turns around does another one a short time later with fancy new ammo that has a custom label (his logo) along with an high speed STI pistol - that came with only two mags, so he had to borrow extras. He function tested the pistol with a few rounds. Not sure how much of the rifle ammo he shot ahead of time. Well, the borrowed mags choked the pistol and I am gonna say that the fancy ammo with the fancy label was not properly crimped and so his rifle went down - hard. It was pretty hard to watch. Bet he was wishing for the borrowed Glock back along some Winchester white box for the rifle. So yeah, test your gear before you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Having owned and "worked on" other folks' Mossberg shotguns, I can say that I never have seen one that did not readily respond to smoothing up. Removing sharp and or rough edges on action bars is the first step. Hit these with stone or sand paper. Next use solvent to remove grit from same. Then use elbow grease and Flitz polish on bars' surface. The shell lifter requires attention in the same way.
    Agree. Most of the moving parts in the receiver are stamped. Removing the burrs and rough edges left over from the stamping process makes a difference.

I find the flat plastic safety button difficult to use with gloves or cold hands, and replace it with a larger metal one.

Site Supporter
    Good idea on the safety button. Only the 590a1 has a metal safety button. Other models have plastic safeties. Also the 590a1 has a metal trigger mechanism chassis.

My 500/590 list:

Metal safety button
    Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
    High-vis follower
    Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw
    Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator
    Check extractors for chips/wear, replace if needed (cheap)
    Install youth, bantam, or "tactical" stock
    Mic bore if you use LL or specialty munitions

Starting with a 590A1 with a LE sku helps.

Spares: mag springs, extractors and springs, safety button assembly
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Current production Mossbergs seem to be edging out current production Remingtons in terms of QC.

Which is interesting.

I say buy a spare gun.

User Tag List