Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro-tips for the Mossberg 500/590 Series?

Or a pipe wrench. Since that mag tube, you know, is basically... a pipe.

Site Supporter
    Be careful with wrenches. Too much force will put a dent in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Be careful with wrenches. Too much force will put a dent in the tube.
    It sure will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Worst case scenario, a used mag tube is less than $30. Don't ask me why I know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Thank you @Tensaw @Bigghoss @Lester Polfus @critter @willie

Its detailed strip down to the receiver and tube now, nothing else. Gave it another try on the hair dryer and then a couple sessions over a gas stove burner (not in the flame). It will not budge. I'll be buying a heat gun tomorrow and try again tomorrow evening. I don't want to damage the receiver. Is there a point where there's too much heat?

And my assumption is that the receiver is not sturdy enough to clamp in a vice. True?

Thank you all again.

Site Supporter
    You might use the vise to hold receiver steady but don't apply undue force. Suggest that you apply ice to tube to contract and heat to receiver to expand. Beware that industrial heat gun will get objects really hot. Note that end of tube has a solid area that can be gripped with wrench. But apply torque on this end only while applying it to other end next to receiver. Otherwise you will damage tube.

If vice jaws not padded, use two boards. This is good idea anyway to spread out torque. Buy Kroil or Liquid Wrench or some other penetrant and apply to threads area. Let soak overnight. Then remove all oil or any other substance from tube where tools will contact. Important to remove same from tools. Use non chlorinated brake cleaner for this. Then use ice on tube and regular hair dryer heat on receiver. Using vice will give you control. Now force will apply to tube in a more consistent fashion. Essential to remove oil from tube and tools to prevent wrench slip.

Kroil is great stuff and highly useful. Urge you to locate it. Take care to pad metal wrench with leather. Cloth folded up won't work.

What Willie said. To say something another way - the receiver is aluminum, so be careful about the squeeze/compression you apply with the vice. Close the vice down on the receiver enough to take slop/movement out of the receiver - but no more. All you need is for it not to turn. Which actually begs the question. What have you been using to stabilize the receiver thus far? Absent something like a vice, you are likely getting movement / “energy leaks” out via the receiver. May explain some of the difficulty you are having.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Take care to pad metal wrench with leather. Cloth folded up won't work.
    Yep. I had tried this earlier with a cloth. The tube has the scars to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    What have you been using to stabilize the receiver thus far? Absent something like a vice, you are likely getting movement / “energy leaks” out via the receiver. May explain some of the difficulty you are having.
    I was using my knees or trying to stabilize on a bench with one hand. Obviously, did not work.

Success though!

I called Mossberg CS today. The gentleman who helped me was excellent. He explained that the 500 wasn't set up for removing the tube and that the tube was set with red loctite.

Thank you again to all who chimed in with suggestions and support. This has been a great learning experience. I'm grateful for your generosity.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 02-25-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    In jest to some extent I must say that a Mossberg will not likely hire me because I disagree with their tube removal method.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Yep. I had tried this earlier with a cloth. The tube has the scars to prove it.

I was using my knees or trying to stabilize on a bench with one hand. Obviously, did not work.

Success though!

I called Mossberg CS today. The gentleman who helped me was excellent. He explained that the 500 wasn't set up for removing the tube and that the tube was set with red loctite.

Thank you again to all who chimed in with suggestions and support. This has been a great learning experience. I'm grateful for your generosity.
    Sure it is. It simply requires heat and proper tools. We tend to wing it sometimes when we DIY. Kinda glad you didn't attempt the oven approach.

I've seen vids of people changing the mag spring from the other end, and I have to differ with the Mossberg rep. The tube was designed to either be removed with heat or a throwaway shot-gun if the mag spring wears out. The spring in mine became weak enough to where the follower would remain up the magazine about an inch. Still fed the shells without a hitch, but that spring definitely needed replacing.

From what I can gather from a brief Google Fu it seems red loctite gives up the ghost between 300-400F depending on the application, etc. Can anyone verify this?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Sure it is. It simply requires heat and proper tools. We tend to wing it sometimes when we DIY. Kinda glad you didn't attempt the oven approach.

I've seen vids of people changing the mag spring from the other end, and I have to differ with the Mossberg rep. The tube was designed to either be removed with heat or a throwaway shot-gun if the mag spring wears out. The spring in mine became weak enough to where the follower would remain up the magazine about an inch. Still fed the shells without a hitch, but that spring definitely needed replacing.

From what I can gather from a brief Google Fu it seems red loctite gives up the ghost between 300-400F depending on the application, etc. Can anyone verify this?
    Yes. Last night I put a heat gun on it and measured the temp. When the temp hit 340 on the receiver I was able to unscrew the tube by hand.

User Tag List