Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro-tips for the Mossberg 500/590 Series?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Current production Mossbergs seem to be edging out current production Remingtons in terms of QC. Which is interesting.
    I'd generally agree with that, based on some 590A1 and 870 purchases of late.

Related sidenote: I have wondered if factory produced dedicated less lethal/specialty munition models - from both manufacturers - are subject to the same parts and assembly specs of their regular guns. I have a suspicion that they are not.

I say buy a spare gun.
    Yes indeed.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I'd add an extra mag tube and mag spring or at least a spring -- and a strap wrench.

This may be slightly off topic for this thread, but may be related enough...

Heat needs to be used to detach the magazine tube from the receiver the first time (at least on the older ones). I can't remember what they're sealed with, if I ever knew, but heat is definitely required to break it. Anyone know the exact temp to dial into the heat gun?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Subscribed.

This thread, too: Things to do to a used Mossberg 590?

I replaced the fore-end on my 500 and wound up buying two of those "home armorer" pamphlets and watching a dozen YouTube videos to get it back together. It wasn't clear that I had to stick my finger inside the chamber and hold the ejector in to get the bolt to slide back home...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Is there a source for Wolff magazine springs for a 590A1 other than Wolff? I've got some cut-to-length springs from Brownell's but it reduces the capacity from eight to seven.

Good information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I'd add an extra mag tube and mag spring or at least a spring -- and a strap wrench.

This may be slightly off topic for this thread, but may be related enough...

Heat needs to be used to detach the magazine tube from the receiver the first time (at least on the older ones). I can't remember what they're sealed with, if I ever knew, but heat is definitely required to break it. Anyone know the exact temp to dial into the heat gun?
    Bringing back to life for a couple of questions on the 500 mag tube.

Can anyone recommend a strap wrench? I have this Kobalt one but it won't grip the tube. It just slips around.

I've also used a hair dryer to heat the area where the tube and receiver meet (almost too hot to touch). Does it need to be even hotter that a hair dryer? There's interwebz advice to put it in the oven. Not convinced on that one.

I'm a newbie at DIY so maybe I'm missing a tool or the wrong tool?
    Last edited by Francis; 02-22-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Francis - I’ve never removed a mag tube from a 500, but I work on a lot of stuff. I would try to avoid putting the whole gun in the oven. Two things. Mossberg uses threadlocker on the mag tube (obviously) - so you are gonna need some heat. Try heating *the receiver* specifically - as opposed to the mag tube. Two reasons. First, the receiver (female part) will expand first; as opposed to heating the tube which causes *it* to expand. Second, the receiver is just bigger heat sink. I would have another go with the hair dryer knowing that you may have to drop $20 on a legit heat gun. I would totally try a heat gun before the oven thing.

Once the threadlocker lets go, the mag tube should back out with no further drama.

Worst case scenario, a used mag tube is less than $30. Don't ask me why I know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I used a hair dryer on the receiver of mine and it worked fine. Mine is at least 20 years old, so it's possible Mossberg is using a different threadlocker now.

I reassembled it sans threadlocker and it's been fine for 8 years.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Bringing back to life for a couple of questions on the 500 mag tube.

Can anyone recommend a strap wrench? I have this Kobalt one but it won't grip the tube. It just slips around.

I've also used a hair dryer to heat the area where the tube and receiver meet (almost too hot to touch). Does it need to be even hotter that a hair dryer? There's interwebz advice to put it in the oven. Not convinced on that one.

I'm a newbie at DIY so maybe I'm missing a tool or the wrong tool?
    I bought the Mossberg new in 1985 I think. Hair dryer didn't work for me. Perhaps it would have eventually and I simply became impatient. I used the only other heat source I had at the time -- a propane torch -- but not flame directly on the metal, just close to it. Take it slowly and the tube will loosen. To grip/loosen the mag tube I used an old rubber 'jar opener' and clamped down on that with visegrips positioned up the tube away from the point of heat. It worked.

I have a set of "Penzoil" strap wrenches which appear to be a yellow version of the kobalt you have, and they do grab on to the tube. If yours do not work, the visegrips with something to protect from the teeth should do the trick.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List