Thread: FNX9 for $449?

FNX9 for $449?

Found a new FNX9 DA/SA for $449. Are these reliable pistols? Seems to be pretty barren as far as info goes

Last edited by azerious; 04-03-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Don't do it. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, but they don't do a whole lot that a more common handgun will do. At $450 you could probably put a little more money up and get a Beretta 92, which at least has magazines that aren't $50 a piece when you can find them. If you're lucky, you may even be able to find a P2000 or P30 in the $500 range.

I have the FNX's precursor, the FNP, and I have long since given up trying to make it work. Mags were expensive and rare, sight options were limited, holsters were practically non-existent. Absolutely not worth the squeeze. If you MUST have an FN for some reason, at least get the 509, which probably has at least another year or two before FN calls it quits on that one and spits out a replacement design.

Vending Machine Operator
    einher covered the bases well. For a hammer fired service sized 9mm there is zero reason to choose it over the markedly superior and much better supported Sig SP2022 series, Beretta PX4, or CZ P07.

FN’s lack of long term support for their designs is especially baffling from a company that CERTAINLY had the expertise and resources to stick with, refine, and perfect a design. But they keep treating their handguns as afterthoughts and it shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

$449 isn't even a good price for it. There's already been a few threads here about them which I'll dig up. I had owned one, and Einharjarvalk thoughts align with mine.

One of the thread's about them from 2018: FN FNX-9 Thoughts?

Here's my experience from the first thread about them on the forum, back in 2012: FNX 9

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I had one for a very short time that I got on trade. I got it from another member here with the idea of 1) trying out the brand and 2) trying out cocked and locked.

1) The DA/SA was somewhat similar to my brand new P2000, but with all the grit of a SIGMA. The DA was probably lighter than the P2000, but not as smooth a pull. The SA had way more of a sponge feel before it broke the shot. I don't know if it would have improved considerably...it was pretty bad. I'm a DA/SA guy, too, so keep that in mind. It was serviceable though, unlike a SIGMA or VP70 which are abysmal and demand the intervention of the beard of Zeus to not disturb the sight picture.

2) It was painful just to hold the thing for 5 minutes and dry-fire. I couldn't imagine doing a 2 day course with it. Sharp edges everywhere, the grip is especially uncomfortable. I would wear gloves if doing any heavy shooting. FWIW, I've had 3M grip-tape on my P2000 for the last couple months, which I do all my carryin' and shooting with, so it might be a case of me being a wuss but I'm not too sure.

3) The ambidextrous mag release was junk. It was not easy to push the button, as it was generally very stiff and would also bind throughout the press of the button. I felt this way about the mag release on an FN Five-Seven as well. In addition, it was too big...and being ambidextrous, my firing hand middle finger would engage the mag release unintentionally. I had to modify my grip and hold that finger in an arc around the mag release, which is a no-go for me because it's too technique dependent to make sure the gun functions.

4) With a high grip, the function lever was digging into my right hand knuckle. This made it impossible to decock without really breaking my grip to something resembling how a person who's never received instruction on a gun would hold a pistol; almost like cradling the gun instead of gripping it. This was because my right hand knuckle would physically block the lever from decocking. Since guns come out fast and get put away slow, this was just an annoyance. I might also be heavily biased since I really like the rear mounted decocker button on the HK P-series.

5) I did not find the weapon easy to take off safe. It was nowhere near as fluid, user friendly or intuitive as a 1911. The lever just wasn't in the right spot for my hand in order to make a smooth presentation. It resulted in establishing a proper grip way too late in the presentation, since I couldn't unsafe it with a decent grip.

6) The FNX9 generally felt like it was going to break, or was assembled with material resembling cheap Taiwanese made toys you get at Walmart. It just didn't feel solid and smooth like a SIG, Glock, HK, Walther, M&P, ect. I felt this about about an FN Five-Seven as well, though to a lesser degree.

7) I've never had a mag that was so tight to load. The only time I've cheated and used an Uplula was during one class in which FredM also attended...besides that, I've always used my fingers so I don't think it's an issue of me being new to loading mags. I've loaded mags for the SIG P220, P226, P228/229, P239, CZ75 SPO1, HK USP, HK P2000, P30, P7, Glock 26/19/17/22/23, Beretta M9, XD's, Kel-Tecs, LCP's, Kahrs, FN Five-Seven, various curio and relics.....I don't know, a lot of different guns, some of which had +10% Wolff springs. I have NEVER had so much trouble loading a freakin' mag. Unless you're Andre the Giant, I would seriously recommend an UpLula even just to load up one mag.

That's about all I can remember.
    ETA: I just realized that the thread from 2018 was started by you where you were thinking of buying a $390 FNX-9, where everyone trashed the gun and linked to the 2012 thread as well.

I'm not sure what sort of info you're looking for, but "barren" and "soooo limited" isn't it. Are you just not happy with the info about the gun you're seeing, given you're still trying to find a reason to buy one?
    Last edited by TGS; 04-04-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    $449 isn't even a good price for it. There's already been a few threads here about them which I'll dig up. I had owned one, and Einharjarvalk thoughts align with mine.

One of the thread's about them from 2018: FN FNX-9 Thoughts?

Here's my experience from the first thread about them on the forum, back in 2012: FNX 9

ETA: I just realized that the thread from 2018 was started by you where you were thinking of buying a $390 FNX-9, where everyone trashed the gun and linked to the 2012 thread as well.

I'm not sure what sort of info you're looking for, but "barren" and "soooo limited" isn't it. Are you just not happy with the info about the gun you're seeing, given you're still trying to find a reason to buy one?

Holy crap, I don’t even remember making that thread. Looks like I got my answer again, sorry for dupe on that. For some reason I saw it and thought it might be worth looking at. It’s a shame FN cannot market or support a handgun these days. The hi power being discontinued sucks as well

Up your budget another $50 - $75 and that gets you into CZ P-01 and 75D PCR territory which is an order of magnitude better.

Nope nope nope. I got suckered with one last year.

Owned it for two weeks before selling back. Harsh recoil, flimsy back strap attachment, mags wont drop free because moderate grip pressure squeezes and deforms the plastic, basically zero aftermarket and holster support, and not easily user serviceable.

In that price range a CZ p07 or Beretta PX4 would better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Nope nope nope. I got suckered with one last year.

...mags wont drop free because moderate grip pressure squeezes and deforms the plastic...
    I always found these kind of videos fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdTsFB1ejo8

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

Holy WTF batman.....no idea that was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

Wow.... that wouldn't be acceptable in an airsoft gun

User Tag List