Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest reliable non-blowback 9mm PCC?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by J. J. Magnum View Post
    I have used the MP-5 and I can say that it is a sweet shooter. Not a lightweight especially with the mounted suppressor; however, it delivered shots on target out to 50 yds (longest range we had) with little felt recoil.
    I have some experience with the MP5 as well, but the delayed roller blowback is strong enough when scaled by the manufacturer to handle full auto 7.62x51 at barrel lengths from 12.4 to 22 inches. In fact the G3 was the parent design, scaled down. Sorry to pick nits, but that roller delay part is pretty important. The breech is locked for the first part of the propellant burn, slowing the moving parts. The design was also almost 30 years old at the time I shot it, and the Colt SMG was pretty new. In the 90s SOF did a story of an MP5 belonging to Cape Canaveral's SRT that was still running after 275,000 documented rounds. At least the rather heavy Uzi was heavy enough to mitigate the bolt moving to a large extent.

That said, I lost all interest in 9x19 blowback carbine after handling and shooting a couple of Colt carbines. The MP5 was much easier to shoot. My first department went with the MP10s to replace the Colt SMGs it had for SWAT. My current department was more interested in 5.56x45 when we started fielding rifles, when the M&P15 was on the state contract starting at IIRC $500 per unit.

pat

The Scorpion EVO 3 is blowback, so not exactly what the OP was looking for, but how have they faired in terms of durability/reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    The Scorpion EVO 3 is blowback, so not exactly what the OP was looking for, but how have they faired in terms of durability/reliability?
    The ones I see in USPSA run pretty well when left stock. With trigger work and extended magazines, not so reliable.

I just saw one of the little Evo Micro things, and it felt very reminiscent of a Steyr Scout, with all it’s plastic.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The ones I see in USPSA run pretty well when left stock. With trigger work and extended magazines, not so reliable.

I just saw one of the little Evo Micro things, and it felt very reminiscent of a Steyr Scout, with all it’s plastic.

Thanks G. I'm a "leave it mechanically stock" kind of guy these days.

I've played with a Micro, they're pretty neat. Not my speed or need, but cool nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    FWIW, if the concern is recoil, Ruger's new 9mm carbine has a lot less perceived recoil than the old Ruger one. I'm not start enough to understand, much less explain the physics, but it has a two piece bolt that somehow results in less perceived recoil than a fixed one piece bolt like the old one. Those two are the only PCC's I have, so I dunno how they compare to other ones.
    And for what this is worth, yesterday I shot my PC9 back to back with my wife’s light-ish weight 16” 5.56 frankenAR. Perceived recoil was about the same as best my uncalibrated senses could determine.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Does anyone have intel on when Magpul might roll out a stock for the PC9?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Does anyone have intel on when Magpul might roll out a stock for the PC9?
    PCCs us standard AR stocks, carbine or rifle. It's the buffers and springs that need to be specific for them.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    PCCs us standard AR stocks, carbine or rifle. It's the buffers and springs that need to be specific for them.
    Seems he’s talking specifically about the Ruger PC9. No RE/buffer tube.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Tim year has a PCC-specific trigger, which would seem to indicate that either (a) there is a real issue with breaking 9mm ar triggers or (b) there is a perceived one. Of course, there’s a massive premium there.
    https://timneytriggers.com/ar-pcc-trigger/

The rise of PCC has been interesting. They’ve long been niche fun guns for most people, rarely shot I’d wager and certainly not at competition-round-counts. The stress testing of the competition app,icstion is resulting in quite a few interesting findings, not the least of which appears to be that there really isn’t an inexpensive way to play.

Also, re-designing firearms to run in alternate calibers is never a free lunch.

Also also, modern high-volume shooters stress test designs, both old and new, both as designed and modified, in ways that previous generations likely did not.

Site Supporter
    SIG MPX is very hard on aftermarket triggers. I have not had an issue with an "OEM" AR trigger in my two AR9s yet. As with any shooting sport - there is a whole industry now on tricking out "PCCs".

User Tag List