Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Shotgun Loads Useful to Stock For TSHTF

Site Supporter
    Your 590 has a 3 inch chamber. Any bird that you kill be perched in a tree or on a power wire. The 590's cylinder straight tube barrel will be a 35 yard bird barrel. I would buy premium grade number 6 shot shot 3 inch shells. The heavy payload and premium components like the best wad and hard shot might give you an edge. You might find them useful for shooting dogs and cats, city pigeons, stray chickens, and such. Boom noise will attract human predators. For your 590, buy an extra ejector, extra ejector screw, and an extra set of the parts serving as shell latch and interruptor. Just in case you lose any of this when stripping for cleaning or if the original equipment fails.

I'd grab some #6 shot high brass 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz loads. You can harvest smaller birds without destroying them and it's plenty capable of putting turkey / goose sized birds on the fire. Grab a few different brands to see what patterns the best out of your shotgun and then stock up on the best option.

Keep in mind in an extended SHTF scenario the wildlife food source will go away pretty quick. Without wildlife management (seasons / bag limits) people would likely hunt most species to endangered levels within two years. The great depression was not wildlife friendly and the number of people with the same idea as you has only increased.

All of my hunting shotguns (upland only) are 20 ga, and all that gets stocked for them is 1 oz #6 game loads and a few boxes of slugs. All of my 12 loads that get stocked in bulk are 1 oz slug (Score and Federal Tru-Ball), #1 and 00 Buck (Federal FC), #4 and 00 (S&B and Rio) for training, and #7 1/2 birdshot for practice. There are always a few boxes of this and that around the armoury, mostly just stuff that gets picked up to try or that somebody leaves laying around...

Big shotgun fan. If I could only own one long gun it would be a shotgun. For personal defense I keep it simple, 00 buckshot and slugs (low recoil if possible). For hunting, #6 shot is the most useful all around small game shot IMHO. For big game, slugs. 1 oz Winchester rifled slugs do everything I need to be done with a shotgun but If I used it for Elk or Bear I'd go with Federal Tru-ball deep penetrator. If I wanted a longer range gun for big game I'd go with a rifled barrel, cantilever for scope and high end sabot slugs.

Screw-in choke tubes are probably a better investment than magic ammo.

As so often...

...it depends.

(A Combat Engineer Major of my acquaintance once observed that "It depends" is almost always an accurate answer, but rarely a welcome one...)

I think it depends on how you define "SHTF": There's a big difference between "Trump has won re-election and antifa/black block/DNC are rampaging in the streets" and "CME/EMP induced grid down TEOTWAWKI."

If you're looking for a minimalist "One long gun to do it all" then get a Remington 870 with two barrels (maybe three, the third one rifled for sabot slugs) and stock both defensive and hunting shells.

The problem with stockpiling shotgun shells is they're bulky, but that's another thread...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List