Thread: TPC- Draw tips

TPC- Draw tips

Thoughts?

This seems like it might be somewhat contrary to the competition driven idea of pushing speed and trying to learn to be accurate at that speed. Either way. Lots of good tips as always.

I am still digesting that part of my TPC class, trying to understand what's valuable and what's less.
    The consistency part isnon-controversial.
    Setting a final strong hand position and angulation when gun is still in a holster is not controversial as well. Setting up final amount of tension is something I am not sure about. I tend to keep my hands relaxed until gun's out and support hand gets on it. Training this by retracting the gun from extended position into holstered position like he showed is something I disagree with. In a live class they do that part over 10-15 min, first having you retract the gun just a little, then closer to a chest, then to a point of support hand separation, then close to the holster etc, all with signs aligned. It does help to make you feel it at every step, but my issue with this method is that I am convinced that at speed the draw and the holstering take different travel paths even if we think they don't. Different muscles are engaged, different kinesthetic feedback.
    Rising with a speed of pointing is something I don't buy. Pointing exactly at a fly on the wall vs chair next to me requires different precision and hence allows for different speeds. I personally am working on ripping it out of the holster but learning to stop the gun with required amount of smoothness at the end of extension.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think a consistently repeatable draw is step one, then once you have that down, keep working to improve the speed while maintaining consistency.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    seems like it might be somewhat contrary to the competition driven idea of pushing speed and trying to learn to be accurate at that speed.
    Not contradictory at all. Solid mechanics should be learned and established then pushed hard to find the breaking point. Fix, rinse, lather, and repeat.

What I got out of the video was speed through efficiency rather than speed through moving your limbs faster in an inefficient manner.

User Tag List