Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really impressed w/ new VP9 & SK

Really impressed w/ new VP9 & SK

About 2 months ago I was lucky enough (very odd for me...never win anything....) to win a firearm raffle. I wasn’t really interested in the Savage .17HMR bolt gun although it was a nice package and opted for the store credit at the Bass Pro where the prize was supposed to be claimed. I am a long time Beretta and SIG guy but was pretty satisfied with that I already own (although about a week later I went back to buy an X-Carry) and have always been intrigued with H&K although I had never owned or shot one.

That local Bass Pro had several H&Ks, including a VP9, VP9SK and a P30SK, so I decided to try out the full size VP9, an LE version. With the bonus dollars based on the purchase, the bonus dollars given when signing up for a new card and the value of the prize I walked out the door while laying out a little over $300.

Before my first range trip I installed the large right grip panel with the result that this thing fits like a glove, and I found that I shot in very well, at least for me, and I was very happy with how it shot overall.

Last week I stopped at my local Field & Stream and picked up its little brother, a LE SK version. Kinda had to hold my nose as I had virtually stopped shopping there in the last year, but I couldn’t find a LE version locally otherwise. Took it to the range for the first time today and it didn’t disappoint. First 50 rounds tore the center of a Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See target at 10 yards, with only about 3 rounds outside the 8 ring. Both pistols are very comfortable to shoot with very nice triggers, the full size being just a bit nicer, are very flat shooting and incredibly comfortable to shoot. The interchangeable back straps and side panels make for awesome ergos!! I did feel a bit of a pinch a few times with the pinky extension mag, but nothing too bad.

Overall I am very happy with the new pistols and feel I would be able to shoot them as well as any of the pistols I have had for years.

First, congrats on the HK!

Love the VP9. Stupid accurate, rugged, and reliable. What's not to like???

What makes the "LE" version different?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    What makes the "LE" version different?
    Night sights and an extra magazine.

I love HK handguns and I'm no capacity whore, but I wish they weren't so stingy when it comes to size/capacity ratio. I shoot the SK better than the full size, both are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe Performance View Post
    I love HK handguns and I'm no capacity whore, but I wish they weren't so stingy when it comes to size/capacity ratio. I shoot the SK better than the full size, both are great.
    Why do you think you shoot the SK better? I think of the SK as a 19, the VP9 as a 17, and the VP9L as a 34 equivalent.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Why do you think you shoot the SK better? I think of the SK as a 19, the VP9 as a 17, and the VP9L as a 34 equivalent.
    Good question. Maybe its the size, balance, feel, number of rounds I have through that type/size gun. I prefer 19 size guns over full size, they just feel better to me. I shoot my 19 better than my 26 slow fire but shoot the 26 is better out of the holster for me. Sometimes it's hard to explain how these things shake out I guess.

Strangely, I have found that the VP9SK seems to shoot better with a lot of ammo than on of my VP9 full sized. I have a VP9 Full size that is superb with Federal 124 grain HST, but seems not to shoot as well with various FMJ than my VP9SK does.. I run the VP9SK with the extended floor plate.

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    What's not to like???
    How about a 15rd mag in a 17rd frame. Really, HK? Every other modern full-size pistol on the planet--and in the universe as we know it--has a mag capacity of 17 rounds...

Anyway, here's something that'll probably be interesting to some of you:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod127037.aspx

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 04-05-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    How about a 15rd mag in a 17rd frame. Really, HK? Every other modern full-size pistol on the planet--and in the universe as we know it--has a mag capacity of 17 rounds...
    Rather than trying to stuff as many rounds as they can into a magazine, HK P30 and VP9 full sized mags may only hold 15 rounds, but they are dead reliable and durable.

I would gladly trade two rounds for greater reliability and durability.

I have experienced problems with 17 round M&P9 mags where the rounds got wedged together inside the magazine. It seems in order to allow the mags to fit 17 rounds, the mags are a tiny bit too wide, and thus allow two rounds to sometimes get wedged together under certain circumstances.

I have had this happen with four or five different magazines, even after adding stronger ISMI springs to the magazine. I have also had this happen with different ammo, including Black Hills and Winchester Ranger.

Below are some pictures I took of what it looked like. A simple rap on the bottom did nothing. It is hard to tell what is going on, but bear in mind, the rounds are locked together about an inch down into the magazine and got that way during normal magazine loading.

Below are pictures that I have taken of the wedged rounds in M&P9 magazines:

Name:  badmag1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  16.5 KB

Name:  badmag2.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  29.5 KB

User Tag List