Page 13 of 122 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster review

Site Supporter
    Yeah I went with the extra tuck, kydex loop. Really looking forward to this holster. Love my OWB and Mag pouch from JM.

I got my JM AIWB rig for my SIG 226R today, and Wow!

A 226 isn't exactly a compact gun, and I was afraid I may have been a little ambitious thinking I could carry one in the same fashion as my M&Ps. Ambitious I was not...Even having used Tony's holsters in the past didn't really prepare me for how good a solution to the 226 problem this holster was going to be. Along the way, Tony seems to be making incremental improvements to the execution of his holsters, and it shows. I'm really pleased.

I ordered the "extra tuck" option this time around, and while it doesn't look substantial when examining the holster, it sure is substantial when the holster is in place. The gun disappears really well in a JM rig to begin with, but the ET option is an awesome enhancement.

Thanks, Tony!
    Last edited by JDM; 08-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.

BOM , glad you like it and that it's working out for you.

By the way everyone, there were a few issues with my website, specifically the extra tuck option and not letting the customer order without it, that have been fixed. Thanks

Order placed!

Site Supporter
    I've been using one of Tony's appendix holsters with the "extra tuck" for about two months. For me, appendix holsters that focus on tucking the grip work well with pistols that have lower profile slides (Glock). But, when carrying guns that have a higher slide (HK and Sig), holsters that only tuck the grip do not pull/push the rear of the slide in well enough to conceal well on me. This is especially apparent for me when carrying a pistol with a short and tall slide in the CCC Shaggy. The grip completely disappears, but the pistol tends to roll forward over my belt to the point where the rear of the slide prints in all but the loosest of cover garments.

The JM AIWB does a very good job of tucking both the grip and the rear of the slide to provide a very good level of concealment without compromising the ability to get a full grip on the gun. In addition to the wedge to tuck the grip and the "extra tuck" bump to push in the rear of the slide, the bushings used between the kydex loop and the holster body provide an extremely rigid connection, which helps to counter the forward roll that grip-heavy short-slide pistols tend to exhibit when appendix carried.

Besides the concealment features, the JM AIWB also has proper, for me, ride-height (Tony can adjust this via separate kydex loops), very little material under the dustcover, and a low-profile sweatguard (even the "full" version) that does not interfere with gripping the pistol in the holster or putting the pistol in backwards for WHO manipulations.

Name:  photo (14).jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  25.1 KB
    Front view.

Name:  photo (12).jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  30.5 KB
    View of the "wedge." You cannot tell from the photo, but the mag release can still be operated in the holster. This is not very common with P30 holsters.

Name:  photo (13).jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  28.5 KB
    Side view of the "extra tuck" bump.

Name:  photo (11).jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  34.5 KB
    Rear view showing the "extra tuck" bump. While the bump looks odd, it works well for me.

I decided to try a Crimson Trace Lightguard for my G17/G19. I wanted to see if it could work for me for my everyday setup carried appendix. My current setup is a JM holster, and it has been perfect for me. So I called and talked to Tony and ordered an appendix holster for a G17 with a CT Lightguard attached. The holster came in on Saturday, and I have been wearing it since. It is a little different design because of the light, but it rides just as well as my original JM holster. This one did come with the extra tuck feature and seems to work very well, so I won't need to add a little foam to the bottom.

I've been doing plenty of practice draws and dry fire, and so far so good. Comfort is as good as the original even while seated or squating down to pick up something. Retention is good, and might be a little too good. I had to back out the retention screws a little bit to get it to draw like I like it, but it seems I have found the sweet spot.

Tony, thanks for another quality holster. I really appreciate it.

Lightguard holster compared to the original.

I procured a Walther P99 replica (ASP#07327) for JM Custom Kydex. While not as abundant in use as the Glock/M&P, I thought I would mention it for the readers of the forum. Tony Mayer has been good with communication/accommodation.

I placed my order for an AIWB holster, and now the waiting begins.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

tmoore912 , that looks like it worked out great, glad you like it.

guymontag, thanks for the kind words.

ET Option

I have been using a JM AIWB with the Extra Tuck for about two weeks now myself. I am a LH P30 shooter. I don't have any experience at all with the non extra tuck option version of this holster but I wish I did to see how it compares. I am a lean athletic build and I don't exactly print but the bulge around my front waist area is more than ideal I think. The gun itself doesn't print at all, I just feel that the extra tuck option may be making the holster a little too thick right at the point where you want the holster to be very slim. I wanted to ask for those of you who have experience with both what do you think on this matter??? I am potentially considering ordering the non-ET version to see if it functions better. But i've been reading the posts and I'm not sure if that would create an issue elsewhere. Like the one above, I feel I could just attach Velcro toward the muzzle. I currently have a kydex clip on the way to replace the snaps to see if I can thin out the profile a bit. I'd be interested to see the ET option shaved to the holsters original profile about halfway before it reaches the mouth. Either way overall the holster has been amazing. Amazing grip, ride height, comfort, and overall concealment.

Site Supporter
    All these picture's are making me really want mine! I haven't looked forward to trying a holster like this one in a long time.

User Tag List