Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Prodigy Magazine Quality, Usability in Staccato

Springfield Prodigy Magazine Quality, Usability in Staccato

While on a business trip in the Great Plains of West Texas this past week, I stopped into a nice gun shop in Lubbock, Texas to browse as I was early for the appointment. They had two Staccatos left in stock, and no mags. They had a couple of of SA Prodigy 2011s, but lots of mags. They wanted $40 each, and since I knew they would "work" in my Staccato, I figured it was worth a shot. A $30 savings per mag is nothing to sneeze at. Best case scenario they work as well as my Staccato mags. Worse comes to worst they could be dedicated training mags. Does anyone have experience they wish to share on the quality of the Springfield Armory Prodigy Magazines? I figure it might still be too early to say there is long term, high round count data. That said, anything is better than nothing.

Following. So far I've only tried Staccato, Atlas and MBX mags in my Staccato but I'd like to find some cheaper practice mags.

Here's another option.

https://store.eaacorp.com/shop/produ...31,29029,29028

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Since they came out I have been running 2x 17rd Prodigy mags.

These 2 fit tighter than the Gen 2 STI and the 1 MBX mag. Function is 100% over 600 rounds, so not a lot through them. Best I can tell, they have a stronger spring than any of my currently stable of 2011 mags.

Checkmate makes STI mags and I want to see what the Gen 3 brings to the table. Especially the 20rd Gen 2 seemed lightly sprung.

If I need more mags I wouldn't hesitate to try more Prodigy mags, but those Checkmates for $50 might be the safer bet.

I know Checkmate is OEM for Staccato, and I believe I read somewhere that EasyMag is OEM for Springfield.

I finally got a chance to get to the range for some fun and some T&E. I wish I had better news to report.

I took 3 Springfield Armory Prodigy 20rd magazines to the range. I loaded all to 20 rounds with 124gr NATO loaded by Winchester. From a locked back slide, with a loaded 20rd mag in my Staccato P, I was able to depress the 10-8 (OEM to Staccato) slide release, and chamber and fire all cartridges. The problem arose upon rounds complete. Of the 3 mags; mags 1 and 2 failed to lock the slide back every time. They just were not engaging the 10-8 slide release.

Magazine two, on its second evolution locked my Staccato up completely, with the slide about halfway between being fully retracted and in battery. I removed the loaded magazine, and the slide stayed in it's halfway position. I struck the back of the slide moderately and it returned to battery. Out of fear that the magazine(s) damaged the ejector (even though they have overtravel baseplates), I field stripped the pistol and noted nothing off regarding the ejector. I reassembled, reinserted the loaded magazine, and fired all 20 rounds. Still no slide lock after the last round.

I have mic'ed the magazine tubes on all my mags in comparison to the Staccato (Check Mate) magazines. I cannot find any measurable difference. I have not compared followers, and will do that later Sunday.

Eh, at $100 each, that defeats the purpose of this thread, which is a more economical 2011 mag.

Trying new things, I swapped a Staccato follower into a Prodigy magazine. No change. Perfect feed, no slide lock.

From Hilton Yam:

The Prodigy mag feed lip geometry is different than the Staccato.

Since the Achilles heel of the Staccato 2011 platform is the magazine, I never suggest using any form of budget solution for them. The Gen3 Staccato mags are their best yet, and neither Prodigy nor Checkmate are using the latest tech that’s in the Staccato G3

Aaaaaaand my gun is down. Numerous FTEs and FTFs with Federal AE 147gr TCMJ. Using both factory and Prodigy mags

User Tag List