Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster review

JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster review

Disclaimer: As some of you know I am personal friends with Tony Mayer the owner of JM Custom Kydex and have been for the past couple of years. I have not been paid to post this review but I will admit that I would be happy to have others find out about the fine holsters that he makes. If this makes me biased, so be it, at least I have disclosed this fact up front.

That said let me tell you about JM Custom Kydex's newest holster the 'AIWB' model and my background. I have been experimenting with appendix carry for about the last 18 months or so and let me tell you I have a box full of straight drop holsters to prove it. It's been growing larger year after year as I strive to find what works the best for me as a legally armed citizen that carries daily. There are a lot of straight drop 'appendix' holsters that are on the market but are not at all well suited as an appendix holster, at least not for me. I don't see the need to list them here but chances are if someone had a straight drop holster and marketed it as an AIWB model I bought one to try out. I have stopped looking since using JM Custom Kydex's new AIWB holster.

One thing I found was after buying all lot of the wrong holsters you begin to figure out what works and what doesn't. For me it really broke down to a few things.

· First is conceal-ability. As a CCW holder I need a holster for concealment. The pistol needs to disappear in a basic darker colored polo t-shirt or un-tucked collared shirt. Concealed means concealed. I live in California, enough said right?

· Second is comfort-ability. If wearing a standard size defensive pistol, in my case a G19, for 10-12 hours a day is not comfortable I'm not going to wear it. Can I wear this holster for all of my training? Can I wear it seated all day? Can I wear it in a car with a seat belt for hours on end?

· Third is ride height. I need to be able to get a master grip on the pistol every time when starting my draw. This is a balance between too high which makes the holster easy to draw from but also can cause the holster to roll out especially if you have a 'spare tire' or don't quite have six-pack abs. I feel this holster has a balance between conceal-ability and usability.

For me this JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster passes all three of these tests will flying colors.

This holster has been worn daily for the past three months. I've attended 2 different classes in this time one was a AFHF and the other was a class where we shot a lot from prone the pull the dot snaps worked fine but they did get scraped up.

I'm able to get a good master grip specifically I'm able to get my fingers between my belt and the butt of the pistol easily.

The holster tucks, is still comfortable and yet I can still obtain a master grip even with my 'spare tire'

Side view showing the butt of the pistol tucked.

One thing that you might have already encountered when it comes to some Custom/Semi-Custom holster makers is that they're often hard to get ahold of. Tony responds quickly to email also posts his email right on his website and actually answers his phone and returns calls. While this seems like a basic customer service sort of issue that is trivial, I have found that customer service is sorely lacking when having to deal with one or more other holster companies.

I have been using this holster daily now for about 90 days. I find this holster to be the most comfortable AIWB holster I have worn for daily carry. The ride height is perfect: not to low and not too high. As you can see from the pictures above I'm able to get a master grip quickly and easily. Also as you can see I'm not a poster boy for 6 pack abs. I have some 'winter' stores I'm carrying around but the holster still tucks nicely and aids in concealment.

Overall I'm very happy with this holster and find myself using this holster over all of my other options. I chose the standard belt loops option as I like the ability to quickly pull off or put on the holster. I understand that Tony is also making an option of a Kydex loop for those that want a more fixed mounting option. If you need or want that option it is available at the time of order or can be purchased separately.

In short, I really like the design and construction of this holster. If you are looking for an appendix carry holster, then the JM Custom Kydex AIWB is a great choice. The holster retails for $75.00 plus shipping. All JM Custom holsters are backed with an unlimited lifetime warranty, which shows that JM Custom has confidence in its products and faith in its customers. You can view and order the AIWB holster and the full line of other JM Custom Kydex holsters at http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/

All prices as of March, 2012.

Does this holster have a feature designed to keep the grip tucked in -- as compared to the Shaggy's "wedge" approach?

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Does this holster have a feature designed to keep the grip tucked in -- as compared to the Shaggy's "wedge" approach?
    I had the exact same question justcor. I know you prefer this to the Shaggy and the PIC, and I was hoping I could get you to compare and contrast the tucking aspect of these holsters a bit, with a focus on which conceals best for you. I'm pretty slim, and concealment is one of the things that draws me to AIWB carry. Like you, I carry a G19.

I just ordered one of these for a M&P9c to try out. I had a C&D on order but after reading a bunch of threads about poor comm lately I just canceled it.

Weird ... the C&D discount code they gave me last time was invalid. I sent a msg after ordering asking if it was still good and could be applied. NO response. I just emailed to cancel the order and VIOLA I rec'd a very fast response confirming the cancellation. It drives me nuts when vendors pick and choose what they reply to.

I'm having a comm issue with another maker with whom I have a pending order now at 10weks+ and don't wish to deal with any more at the moment.

Here are a couple of cell phone pictures showing the wedge design.

This one really shows off the wedge. (Sorry for the bad photos)

This is the underside showing the trigger guard area.

The design is minimalist and is noticeably smaller than many of the other designs I have seen to date.

Those pics are the JM, right?

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Those pics are the JM, right?
    Correct.

Just checking. The "wedge" on the C&D Pardus I have is on the inside, up against the body, so it pushes the bottom of the holster outward thus canting the grip in toward your stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Just checking. The "wedge" on the C&D Pardus I have is on the inside, up against the body, so it pushes the bottom of the holster outward thus canting the grip in toward your stomach.
    For comparison here is a CCC Shaggy

This is the new CDI Pardus which is huge when compared to the CCC Shaggy and JM Custom Kydex.

I don't care for the look of the PIC. Glad I cancelled it. I like the old Pardus better.

User Tag List