Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakthrough Marksmanship by Ben Stoeger

Breakthrough Marksmanship by Ben Stoeger

I just got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/10...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 yesterday and started on it. Haven't gone through it all (though it isn't a huge book), so will defer a review/opinions/takeaways until I get deeper into it and run some of its drills.

I'm posting this here and not in the competition section because of my belief (based on a quick scan of the entire book) that the concepts in this book are applicable to the practical use of a handgun regardless of context or situation.

One thing I can tell you already is that this is not a book for raw beginners. It isn't a "this is how you do X" book. It's a "this is how you teach yourself to improve X" book.

I have learned more about shooting from Ben than any other instructor, mainly just because of the breadth of information he covers.

(Sorry Gabe - I still think your class was the best I've ever taken, tho...)

This book is necessary for anyone who has shot competition as a means of getting better and still wonders why they aren't cleaning up on the "shooting part" of it all.

I am almost finished with a first reading, just one chapter left. It is not necessarily a new material from him but it is delivered in a different form that in some ways connects better. Having taken a class from him, it seems that the things that are emphasized in this book are also the things I've heard him correct people the most in the class. Assuming that my class was reasonably representative of all classes, the book is focused on correcting more prevalent mistakes as seen by Ben, IMO.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Assuming that my class was reasonably representative of all classes, the book is focused on correcting more prevalent mistakes as seen by Ben, IMO.
    That was my take too, but what attracts me it's that the book's focus seems to be to teach self analysis and self reflection tools. That is what I find compelling.

Once I learned the cause and effect relationships between position, body tension, trigger control and the difference between POA and POI in precision rifle shooting; my ability with one skyrocketed. It was, as Ben states in the book, a breakthrough moment.

Good book. It’s a little thin for $17, but the content is well worth the money.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I bought it too. Well I buy a lot of books about shooting I liked it though. It emphasizes on certain things that were not in focus in his other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good book. It’s a little thin for $17, but the content is well worth the money.
    Just wait - he'll revise it for next year and add a chapter about something random...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Just wait - he'll revise it for next year and add a chapter about something random...
    Hahah. Yep. Actually, I thought the "Reloaded" versions of his other books were worth the price.

But what will he call the updates to those books? Practical Pistol Re-Reloaded? Practical Pistol Reloaded, Magnum Edition?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Ben Stoeger is one of the rare people out there who is masterful not only at performing a high-skill task but explaining/presenting it in a way that is easy to understand AND offering relatively simple steps, that almost anyone can use as 'building blocks,' to work & progress effectively toward achieving it, too. Reading one of his short books (I can't recall the title at the moment) completely changed my view on dry-firing and sparked a big increase in my shooting skill and discipline.

I just came back from the range. I took the book with me and worked on one thing and one thing only: 20 yard marksmanship.

Two shots, right out of the holster, looking only for A's as soon as the sight pictures became "acceptable". By applying his take on grip I immediately reduced the horizontal spread of each string dramatically. By dramatically I mean going from a couple of mikes and less than 50% alphas in a 16 round string to no misses and 2 - 4 charlies and the rest alphas for the same number of shots. That's in one 150 round session over the course of 90 min.

Based only on the location of the A zone hits, I'm going to make a sight adjustment that is much less than what I had thought I needed two weeks ago, then will confirm on Friday.

That's a pretty f-ing good ROI for $18 worth of reading material.

User Tag List