Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G10 Grips for GP100?

Jon & Lester,
    I appreciate the feedback. Good info!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    So I received my Altamont, full size, Letts style grips for my GP100.

Previously, I've used a Ruger branded Letts style grip that I received from Chigs grips, along with some excellent quilted maple panels. The Ruger branded grips and the Chigs panels fit together quite well and looked good. The problem with them is that I have above average sized hands and a high grip. The gun recoils back right into the web of my hand, and after about 50 rounds, I'm done. Often my hand would be noticeably sore the next day. Aside from discomfort, I'm concerned that I have some arthritis in my hands from previous injuries.

The Altamont grips don't feel noticeably stiffer to me. The Chigs panels didn't fit quite as snugly, and the bottom of the left panel would sit a little proud of the grip if I tightened the panel down too much. The fit well enough though and looked good. Here are pictures of the grips, and the area on the backstrap that is of concern.

Attachment 37130
    Attachment 37131

I put fifty rounds through the gun and had the same issues. The load is a 158-grain hard cast SWC over 10.2 grains of Blue Dot. It's not a complete rhino roller, but it is certainly a magnum load. I was not able to discern a difference in recoil management between the Ruger branded grips and the Altamont grips.

The solution has been a set of Match Champion grips. As you can see in the picture below, there's quite a bit more material in the web of my hand. I experience no discomfort when shooting with these grips. .357 is a much more fatiguing cartridge to shoot than 9mm, but I can put a hundred rounds through the gun with these grips without pain.

Attachment 37132
    Attachment 37133

I think this reinforces the truism that revolver fit is individual. When researching these grips, I found a post by BehindBlueIs where he talked about how the Match Champion grips were too big in exactly the same area where I needed more material. Fortunately, I don't have a huge amount of money tied up in any of these grips. The Match Champions work well for me, however, they do make the gun less concealable than the Letts. This isn't a huge concern for me as the GP100 is primarily a woods bumming and hunting revolver.

.38 Special +p loads work fine with the Letts. I would also bet that some more sedate magnum loadings like the 125 grain Golden Saber or 135 grain Speer Gold Dot short barrel, would work ok, although I've not had a chance to try them.
    Lester, to my surprise I experienced the same results you did with the full-size OEM Ruger/Lett's grips. While I've always preferred the Compact grips, my thoughts were that the full-sized ones would come into their own with full-house .357 magnum loads, and would be better to manage them. Empirically, with me (as with you), that was not the case-the backstrap curvature and angle at the tang exacerbated the recoil forces, uncomfortably. The compact grips were far more user-friendly, more comfortable, and induced no perceptible operational difficulties with full-house .357 magnum loads. While the aesthetics of the full-size grips are nice (and I have a set of handsome dark Winewood Lett's laminate inserts for them), it's the compact grips that are pretty much permanently affixed with my 4" GP100.

Best, Jon

While we’re talking Altamont, does anyone have experience with their Falconia grips for K/L frames?

I have Altamont Compacts on my GP100 Wiley Clapp and they fit my hand perfectly. I removed the full-sized grips that came on the gun as they were a tad too large.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Lester, to my surprise I experienced the same results you did with the full-size OEM Ruger/Lett's grips. While I've always preferred the Compact grips, my thoughts were that the full-sized ones would come into their own with full-house .357 magnum loads, and would be better to manage them. Empirically, with me (as with you), that was not the case-the backstrap curvature and angle at the tang exacerbated the recoil forces, uncomfortably. The compact grips were far more user-friendly, more comfortable, and induced no perceptible operational difficulties with full-house .357 magnum loads. While the aesthetics of the full-size grips are nice (and I have a set of handsome dark Winewood Lett's laminate inserts for them), it's the compact grips that are pretty much permanently affixed with my 4" GP100.

Best, Jon
    Interesting. One would certainly expect a set of full-size grips to handle recoil better than a set of compacts.

I may buy a set of the compacts and try them with one of the milder .357 loads, which usually have a 125-grain bullet going 1200 fps or so. I think a 3" GP100 wearing compact grips and stoked with those loads would make a nice concealed carry piece. I really don't NEED that, but revolvers have ignited my passion for the gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Interesting. One would certainly expect a set of full-size grips to handle recoil better than a set of compacts.

I may buy a set of the compacts and try them with one of the milder .357 loads, which usually have a 125-grain bullet going 1200 fps or so. I think a 3" GP100 wearing compact grips and stoked with those loads would make a nice concealed carry piece. I really don't NEED that, but revolvers have ignited my passion for the gun.
    If you try the GP100 with Compact grip (either Ruger or Altamont), you'll be impressed. They really assist in making the GP100 an easily viable concealed carry revolver, and are comfortable to both carry and use. I had a 3", but sold it awhile back; it and a previous 4" fixed-sight GP100 sale are two that I kind of regret letting go now, even though carrying my 4" with the compact grips is not onerous, uncomfortable or a hardship.

And I also have my stainless 4" Security Six...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Site Supporter

Grip size comparison

FYI - Here is a photo showing the original Ruger GP100MC grips and the Altamont compacts. Best, ELN.

Name:  Ruger GP100MC w OEM and Altamont Grips.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  85.0 KB

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Still on the road, and the Altamonts are still in the box on my bench awaiting my return. Curious to see how they work controlling a stout field load in .44. This coming weekend...

Well got them on. A bit smaller than what I’m used to on an N frame or similar. Will have to see how the feel with the field loads.

Attachment 37395

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If you try the GP100 with Compact grip (either Ruger or Altamont), you'll be impressed. They really assist in making the GP100 an easily viable concealed carry revolver, and are comfortable to both carry and use. I had a 3", but sold it awhile back; it and a previous 4" fixed-sight GP100 sale are two that I kind of regret letting go now, even though carrying my 4" with the compact grips is not onerous, uncomfortable or a hardship.

And I also have my stainless 4" Security Six...

Best, Jon
    You cost me money sir.

But it was money well spent.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Well I got to the range and ran some handloads and factory Blazers thru the GP100. The verdict is still out on the compacts. They handled the recoil well enough, with everything from lighter 200gr RNFP to some stiff 255gr Keith/2400 loads. The overall “feel” of them is where I have issue. My hands aren’t overly huge, yet the grips feel “small” in my hands and the overall handling is a bit “top heavy” and “whippy” if that makes sense.

I’ll keep them on for a bit. Heading north this weekend, so I’ll carry it as I poke around the back 40 seeing what mother nature left us this past winter. Don’t be surprised if they show up here with a “get them out of my parts box” price.

Call me underwhelmed.

User Tag List