Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Consistency

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the big gains come from fast trigger prep.
    I am noticing this as well. Not sitting around admiring the work with the trigger fully back gives one more time for that prep as well. Get off the trigger fast! Prep fast, break gently.

The prepping I am referring to is on successive shots, so you are ready to fire as soon as the sights come down in recoil.

On the draw, I want to be neither waiting on or leading with prep.
    Gotcha. Some people do advance the concept of beginning the trigger press as they present the gun, but that depends on the path they take the gun to the target.

I don't do the straight up out of the holster/straight out to the target draw so getting on the trigger (even a DA) on the way out is a no go for me.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 04-03-2019 at 07:03 PM.

I ditched consciously conducting trigger prep a long time ago.

There is also a lot of misunderstanding between what constitutes trigger prep vs. staging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    There is also a lot of misunderstanding between what constitutes trigger prep vs. staging.
    I'm all ears and willing to learn. PM if you prefer.

Todd and I went back-and-forth a little (largely agreeing with each other) a few years back:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post129549

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Todd and I went back-and-forth a little (largely agreeing with each other) a few years back:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post129549
    Got it. Thanks.

Man... I look at my recent USPSA performances: I'm a bit of "match" practice, slower than I used to be. But, I shoot a lot of alphas and generally don't make mistakes - it might make my shooting somewhat boring, but, that's ok.

I trained consistency for years and I think it gave me something that I can hang my hat on: practice with a lot of pressure, learn to accept mistakes as feedback during "general maintenance training", learn to be accountable for every shot.

Yes, there is a lot of time spent trying to speed up, work on movement, where I "allow" myself to make more mistakes, but, generally, I try to be able to give 85% performance 100% of the time. Tired or not, hungry or not, into it or not, angry or happy.

For me, my biggest near term opportunity is to know what is required to make any specific shot, and then have the discipline to make sure I then do what is needed with sights and trigger before sending the shot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For me, my biggest near term opportunity is to know what is required to make any specific shot, and then have the discipline to make sure I then do what is needed with sights and trigger before sending the shot.
    I'd guess that you've got enough experience "to know what is required to make any specific shot" and that most of your work will be integrating that knowledge into the discipline side of it.

Kind of like developing a focus articulating the thinking behind a shot fired in self-defense.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd guess that you've got enough experience "to know what is required to make any specific shot" and that most of your work will be integrating that knowledge into the discipline side of it.

Kind of like developing a focus articulating the thinking behind a shot fired in self-defense.

Okie John
    Obviously the amount of sights and trigger required varies by shot, and I am trying to build an internal data base that can quickly accept or reject the amount of sights and trigger I have dialed in, and subconsciously decide whether to send the shot or further refine sights/trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List