Thread: AAR - Keith Tyler Firearms Instruction Level One Handgun, Albany, Oregon 3/30/19

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

AAR - Keith Tyler Firearms Instruction Level One Handgun, Albany, Oregon 3/30/19

(I'm using the AAR phrase despite my misgivings that it is the verbal equivalent of tacticool pants, a plate carrier and other fauxperator chic at the range. I understand that's the phrase used and when in Rome, I shall do as the Romans. Also this probably isn't up to the standards of rigor that might be desired here, but i figured, something "on paper" beats the ideal AAR that never gets submitted. Also, please excuse my usual typos and word omissions, if present. )

I attended the above class and the tl;dr is, i had a good time, learned a lot, and will continue to train with this instructor if he'll have me - I'll be taking his level 2 this coming weekend, which I am intimidated about but will do my best.

This was a class focused on fundamentals. Most of you are way past all this - .

But I really needed the help with - stance, building a good grip, angling the wrist especially the weak side wrist properly, and trigger press. My weak hand has been kind of a hindrance with the PX4CC; I was for a time, with the OEM medium backstrap, shooting the weapon better SHO than with two hands. I've made some changes such as the larger backstrap and talon grip tape, but I still needed help with how exactly to do something effective and repeatable. There's no substitute for a skilled professional - and Mr. Tyler is a LEO and IIRC master / grand master USPSA shooter - showing you in person. lots of repetitions, too.

Another thing that helped me was the notion of prep-press-reset-prep as the cycle for the trigger press. After being taught, I kept saying to myself, prep-press instead of "oh wait there's an ok sight picture better hurry and fire this thang." We also worked with the notion of seeing the sight picture that is necessary for the particular shot you're trying to make, at different distances.

I was surprised and pleased that we worked distances out to 25-27 yards, because I haven't been doing this at all on my own time (in part because the range i go to only goes to 20, but also i just haven't been doing much of even that). I was super intimidated and thought how can i do this but it ended up being ok. We did lots of drills at varying distances, like one shot at 5-10-15 yds etc., then come back up and do the same thing at 5-10-15 etc but with two shots, then three, on up to 5 or 6, eventually with modest time pressure (modest to skilled shooters, plenty of pressure for me).

We also got to shoot steel circles at times. I can't remember if they were 6 " or 7".

We also did lots of WHO shooting after lunch, which was illuminating. Keith used snap cap/ dummy rounds in the mags of some students so we could all see anticipation problems, had us try stuff like thumb high / thumb low to see which was more accurate for us, etc. We also did some SHO work.

In the end I think the round count was around 500 or so. At the end of the class, we did something he called the plate walkback drill. Everyone did one shot from low ready at the steel circles (as i mentioned, i'm not sure if they were 6 inch or 7) at a bit over 5 yards. You missed, you were done for the day. You hit, on to 10, then 15, etc. By 20 ish yards there were three shooters left, at 25ish it was me and one other, we both made the shot, but I surprised myself by getting the tie breaker second shot. I was happy since i was the only one with a compact DA / SA weapon in the class, and all the shots in this drill were DA shots for me. I was as surprised as anyone; at the beginning of the day i'd have not thought it possible. I feel like that's a good indicator of a good class - you gain an expanded sense of what's possible and even what *you* are capable of if you mind the fundamentals.

In all, it was fun, Keith did a good job of tailoring his instructions to specific students and where they were at, and I felt there was a prevailing good mood / relaxed vibe in general. We were given a primer to look at before the class, which I appreciated, and a more detailed binder of stuff to take home with us; I took notes at times on the line when he encouraged us that this was ok to do; also took notes at lunch and on reload breaks, and at the end of class.

On to level 2 next weekend, this time I hope with USPSA gear and maybe my LTT which it looks like may be here in time. I cannot stress enough i'm kind of intimidated at the crushing weight of skills and knowledge i don't possess, but at this point I trust Keith to tailor the lessons as needed, and I know I'll learn stuff. And that's what it's all about - now to practice it.
    Last edited by Medusa; 04-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Good class review. Thanks for posting.

Sounds like it was both fun and educational.

AAR - Keith Tyler Firearms Instruction Level One Handgun, Albany, Oregon 3/30/19

Great AAR, @Rapid Butterfly.

Congrats on winning that walk back drill with your carry gun. I know Keith was highly impressed.

No one is beyond these ‘fundamentals’. Of the 3 classes, I think I got the most from the one you just took. The others are excellent too, but having a strong foundation is essential.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-02-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

one other important thing i learned

this was actually kinda crucial. Keith taught us to remember this: you can and should go fast as you (safely) can when doing other stuff, like moving and reloading, but when it comes to the trigger press, you take the time needed to do it correctly. Meaning no rushing or hurrying it - take the needed time to do it right. I touched on that above but wanted to make it more explicit.

Secondarily, I learned that shooting more quickly does NOT mean pressing harder. Again, fundamentals, but this really resonated with me because I could see the added "stress" of the timer diminishing my accuracy until right on time, Keith came up and reminded me of this truth.

User Tag List