Thread: Gadget Acceptability?

Gadget Acceptability?

I was telling an LE friend last night about the Gadget, since he carries a Glock, and I got to thinking about how duty guns must remain stock; has this device been accepted by any agencies?
    I sent him the link, and he was going to show it to the Dept. armorer, and see what he said. I was just curious if it's being accepted by LE, or if it's more of a civilian thing at this point in time?

Site Supporter
    My agency is GTG with them if they are installed by one of our armorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post
    I was telling an LE friend last night about the Gadget, since he carries a Glock, and I got to thinking about how duty guns must remain stock; has this device been accepted by any agencies?
    I sent him the link, and he was going to show it to the Dept. armorer, and see what he said. I was just curious if it's being accepted by LE, or if it's more of a civilian thing at this point in time?
    It's more or less a Glock-guy-who-carries-AIWB-and-likely-reads-Pistol-Forums sort of thing. Yes, I know Youtube and other media folks have talked about it. Outside of people who are on this forum that I know I have never seen one outside in the wild.

LE firearms policies vary greatly from "you carry the issue gun without any modifications" to "we'll let you put a Hogue Handall on the gun if you get permission" to "you can carry a Salient Tier 1 Glock with an RMR."

My own department is the latter and would allow the Gadget (with armorer approval) but no one here has one nor do I think they likely will.

Since most duty guns are now striker fired and carried in a Safariland ALS holster mounted between 2:30 and 3:30 on a belt and cops aren't ND'ing multiple times a day every day I doubt most departments see the utility nor would they be likely to allow any non-factory part that is designed to interfere with the guns function (and create liability) on a department owned gun.
    Last edited by KevH; 04-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Unfortunately, there are so many stupid Glock accessories that many people dismiss it without thought or understanding. I myself use and trust the Gadget (aka SCD) because I watched the idea and creation come from two people whom I hold in very high regard. Had it been a product of some other random company, I'd be looking to people like GJM, Darryl, Tom, SLG, HCM, etc for feedback long before even considering putting something that interfaces with the fire control bits of my carry guns.

To PFer's, it's a no-brainer, since we understand the origins and genealogy of the Gadget. To others, not here or even close to being what we'd consider an enthusiast, the awesomeness that we call the Gadget may not be as obvious.

Personally, I love showing and telling people about the Gadget, and I extoll it's genius every chance I get. I wish Glock would just admit Perfection was perfected by somebody else, and just pay Tom enough to retire on a beach somewhere.

Site Supporter
    If installed on agency owned weapons at the request of a few people, then one question is who owns the gadget. If it stays with the weapon after the officer moves on, what's the next step? Keep it or remove it? This is what I have heard expressed along with the mantra that proper training is the issue.

The genius of the device is one thing, but as stated, unless you also re-program the software (thumbing the flap), it won’t be much help, so...
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 04-02-2019 at 10:09 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I wish Glock would just admit Perfection was perfected by somebody else, and just pay Tom enough to retire on a beach somewhere.
    But not so much that he becomes unwilling to continue being shitty to us all.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If installed on agency owned weapons at the request of a few people, then one question is who owns the gadget. If it stays with the weapon after the officer moves on, what's the next step? Keep it or remove it? This is what I have heard expressed along with the mantra that proper training is the issue.
    This one isn't a big deal. After installing SCDs, sights etc, the OEM parts are retained in a bag with the Ofc. Name and pistol SN. If the officer retires the gun is transferred to them with their OEM parts in the bag and the pistol configured as is. If they leave before retirement and the gun is to be reissued, the after-market parts come off and go to that officer. The gun is restored to OEM for its new bearer. We've not had to deal with a turn in yet but I'm sure we will someday.

What I expect will be the more probable issue will be that of a request to use an RMR on duty. Myself and other of the other FI/Armorer are exploring the matter now so that when the time comes we will have a working solution. I expect we will treat the issue the same provided there is no out of pocket cost to the department.

I shot with a Gadget installed at the Glock Operator Course in Smyrna, and neither instructor had ever heard of it. One stopped a string of fire thinking my gun was damaged.

It may be commonly known here, but doesn’t seem to have penetrated even to experienced Glock instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    I shot with a Gadget installed at the Glock Operator Course in Smyrna, and neither instructor had ever heard of it. One stopped a string of fire thinking my gun was damaged.

It may be commonly known here, but doesn’t seem to have penetrated even to experienced Glock instructors.
    Interesting, didn't realize that, I just assumed it was more mainstream by now, but I'm a Sig TDA / HK LEM guy, so...

User Tag List