Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics ready 4" m&p shields

Optics ready 4" m&p shields

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-optics-ready

Not sure what dot it comes with, maybe a j point? Does that share a footprint with the shield sights? That would make it an alright option to try. It doesn't appear to have a plate system for multiple optics though, so that may alienate those who have a pet red dot they want to run. While this may not be the ideal way to go, at least the industry is slowly moving in the right direction. I like the overall idea. Hopefully they work with other dots though or they release a multi optic version.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I like it. Not the price so much but it is nice to see a 4" Shield. Maybe S&W will make a Glock 48 10 round competitor and more will follow. I am really liking my 48. Small hands unite.

I bought my shield 9 the first year they came out, I also have the 45 shield and they both share time as my edc.
    I will definitely be doing a lot of research on this one. I might even consider the ported version in 9mm of course.

The side profile of the optic is different than the RMS Shield.

Name:  C5676245-10C8-4092-84D3-9A0BB413DC4A.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  82.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I know it isn't an rms, but I figured it may be a j point - which if i'm not mistaken, is made by Shield. And I believe they once shared a similar mounting footprint. I could be off though, but there are a few mentions of compatibility in early rms press releases.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim92G View Post
    I bought my shield 9 the first year they came out, I also have the 45 shield and they both share time as my edc.
    I will definitely be doing a lot of research on this one. I might even consider the ported version in 9mm of course.
    I’d avoid the ported Shields for a carry gun. My ECQC class was one of the ones that caused Craig to ban ported Shields in his courses. One of the students was getting a lot of debris in the face while shooting from retention.

I'm stoked to see a 4" Shield.

Hopefully we'll see the trend continue, and Walther will come out with a 4" PPS.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Looks more like the SMS Shield

On a Shield....
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Sigh. If they offered it with the same safety as the compact/full-size, I'd be on it like white on rice.

I have been wanting this, sorta...

I have thought the 4" slide with an actual grip frame the length of the long magazine would be sweet, my idea of a striker Commander. Perhaps because my gut must be larger than my butt, a longer gun carries better for me.

But I also wonder if this means they might come out with their own branded line of MRD. I have a number of M&Ps and am becoming more Red Dot Curious, but am not curious enough to spend a thousand bucks. Maybe considering they never did a 2.0 CORE variant, we might see some announcements at NRA in Indy (trivia note, they announced the Shied at an NRA annual meeting, I was there but don't remember where).
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-03-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: my gut is actually LARGER than my butt...

User Tag List